TUTORIAL - Motor Cover

Steve Sanford

All~

As promised after seeing Mother Diefenderfer's fine handiwork earlier this summer, here is a step-by-step of a motor cover I just finished this morning. I am not a professionally-trained canvas worker (one of my few regrets is declining an offer of part-time work in a canvas shop on Long Island....) - so there may be better ways to accomplish a similar project. However, I have sewn miles of seams in custom canvas over the years - so this information may be helpful to other DIYers.

The customer initially asked me to paint this motor but I suggested this canvas alternative. There are 2 main benefits to canvas - in addition to the obvious superior hide. One, you retain the trade-in value of the motor if you want to swap it out for something else. Second - more important in my mind - having a motor that will flare birds persuades one to take the few seconds each time you rig the boat to cover the motor. I hunted with a white Johnson for many seasons. Unless there was lots of snow around. the motor got covered every time. I concede that wet covers can be a bit messy but I always just lay mine on the stern deck - so it would drain overboard - when running out to pick up downed birds, etc. (It rides in the cockpit when in transit or storage.)

1%2020%20hp%20Merc_zpser78fk4x.jpg

Here are the main tools. The Sears Kenmore is a common, home duty machine - a wedding gift from my parents to Susan and me 40 years ago. Keep it clean, lubricated and use the right needles and thread and you're good to go.

13%20Kenmore_zpsyavyzkty.jpg

In order to hold a large spool of thread, I had to make a "bushing" from an old mop handle.

14%20Plug_zpst492oxfc.jpg

Other key tools are sharp scissors, seam ripper, chalk and - VERY IMPORTANT - Seamstick basting tape. Canvas is tough to pin - to hold everything in place while sewing - and this double-sided tape does a great job. The other "worth its weight in gold" item is pre-wound bobbins for the waxed nylon V-92 thread. I buy 10 or so at a time. They save LOTS of time and frustration when the bobbin thread runs out - because they take just a few seconds to switch.

15%20Gear_zpsndl4than.jpg

An iron, too, is essential. All the seams should be ironed before going through the sewing machine. Set the temp for "synthetics".

16%20Iron_zpsyzfceggr.jpg

I buy my canvas from either Sailrite (http://www.sailrite.com/) or Sailmakers Supply (formerly Mainland Sails - http://www.sailmakerssupply.com/). Sailrite has lots of helpful information on its website. For example, it can recommend the right needles for your specific sewing machine.

I use Sunbrella Marine Fabric. It is a polyester fabric and comes in 46" and 60" widths. I used the 46" for this project. I tried a new (to me) color: Tresco Birch. I think it's a good match for salt hay. I also like their Tan.

2%20Measuring%20tools_zpsbjwvhiyj.jpg

I squared up the canvas, marked a center line, then hemmed the bottom. Spring clamps are handy "helpers" in any one-man shop.

3%20Spring%20clamp%20_zpsbkasnxex.jpg

I cut the canvas a bit long and then duct tape it in place so I can refine my design/measurements and mark it. I was scolded by a sailmaker for marking with pencil once - so I now use chalk unless I need bold lines on the inside.

5%20Mock%20up_zpsvoynwavo.jpg

Here it is taped in place. I can now firm up my design and mark the actual dimensions.

6%20Taped%20up_zpst6geimq4.jpg

The tedious task is sewing the nylon webbing in place. It is much easier, though, to sew it in place BEFORE you sew the cover into its final shape.

7%20Webbing%20first_zpsumxtibkv.jpg

I use the Seamstick to tack the webbing in place. I separate the paper from the adhesive with the tip of my seam ripper.

8%20SeamStick_zps2lwh4ya5.jpg

I use the handle of the seam ripper as a seam rubber (I have a real seam rubber somewhere....) - to force the adhesive into the weave of the webbing.

9%20Rubber_zpslrkzdyls.jpg

Here are the sides (sides and back are a single, wraparound piece) and the top with all of the webbing sewn into place - and ready to be sewn together into a cover.

10%20Sides%20amp%20Top_zpsqvwcq1sr.jpg

First I sew the top - across the back - and then the sides. I stop the sides after 20 inches - a bit longer than the motor's "hood". I check it for fit while it is still inside out.

11%20Inside%20out%20test_zpsukhpeh3e.jpg

Next, I figure out how I will finish the front of the cover and tie it into the side panels. This is the all-important "doping it out" process I learned from my Dad.

12%20Measure%20front_zpsjypihswd.jpg

For some reason, this view has me thinking Darth Vader.....

17%20Front_zpshrieez2w.jpg

I'm not sure thatching will be necessary on the top - but now was the time to sew the webbing there.

The side panels sweep aft a few inches.

18%20Front%20B_zpswqgsduii.jpg

It is long enough to cover the lower unit and prop. But....that black handle needs some attention.

20%20Tilt_zpsrx6fjrkr.jpg

This little sleeve can stay on all the time.

21%20Handle_zpsn3831uhw.jpg

It is open inside to allow access to an adjustment knob (whose purpose I do not know - being an OMC guy....).

22%20Handle_zps3pl6a98x.jpg

Bundles of thatch should be lashed to the webbing every few inches. I like to use a jute twine - it's the right color and is easily cut and discarded with the grass (both biodegradable) after the season.

23%20Twine_zpsi8khwdmf.jpg

The bundle below was photographed on one of my Gunning Boxes. A square knot (reef knot to you sailors) does the job.

24.%20Tie%20a%20square%20knot%20over%20each%20lashing%20-%20do%20this%20another%20100%20times%20and%20youre%20done_zpspaedf8wr.jpg

Hope this helps!

SJS

That's an outstanding tutorial.

what kinds of needles do you use for sewing canvas? I would guess you'd want something a little heavier duty than needles used for cotton?

Dani~

Yes - needle size is critical. Sailrite advised me re needles - I use the Schmetz 110/18 needles pictured above.

All the best,

SJS

Last edited:
Hey, I like the fancy spalted wood on that seam ripper, very nice. And the motor cover isn't half bad either. My wife and I tag teamed a cover for my motor last year, as well as a cockpit cover. They're both holding up great so far.

Now that motor stand is another thing altogether. I need to build one of those for my motor and bring it inside in the cold months.

Thanks for sharing the tutorial.
Steve

Good morning, Steve~

Glad you noticed the stand! (I knew YOU would notice the Spalted Ripper....a Christmas present from Susan.) My Dad built that stand - probably about the time I was born (early 50s). I might reinforce a joint or two - but I certainly like having it around. Maybe another tutorial with dimensions?????

All the best,

SJS

Very impressive Steve. I can't wait to see it in person. Incredible work !! I'm going to be styling this season for sure.

Bill~

Glad you like it!..I look forward to seeing it all thatched up.

And, I'm glad I don't have to lift that big motor!

Next task: Flap boards....

All the best,

SJS

Thanks for posting. An enjoyable read. I second Steve's comment. That motor stand was the first thing that I noticed.

Nice tutorial Steve! I just made my first decoy bags with my brand new.... to me ....Chandsew industrial machine. Sewing is really pretty gratifying. I meant to take a few photos of the first 6 bags but they shipped along with the sets of decoys they belonged with.
Frank

I'll give it a try but I'm not as practiced as you at the layout and photo uploading. I will try. I have a two turkey bags to make, but they are simple in comparison to a slotted bag.
Frank

Back