Duckboats.net
Skip to Content


Home : Main Forums : Duck Boat/Hunting Forum :

Summer Doldrums

(Page 2 of 2)
Quote Reply
Re: Summer Doldrums In reply to
Jeff Reardon wrote:
Maybe a DHBP gathering in October of 2023? I'm joking, mostly . . . . .



Now THAT would be fun!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Summer Doldrums In reply to
Working with my pup and eating wild mushrooms.
Quote Reply
Re: Summer Doldrums In reply to
Dani wrote:
Jeff Reardon wrote:
Maybe a DHBP gathering in October of 2023? I'm joking, mostly . . . . .




Now THAT would be fun!!!



I'm hoping to draw a moose tag that year Wink, so you all can help drag it out.

October in Maine is a special thing, I'm all for it. I'll bring my .22 for grouse and my worm rod for trouts.

Last edited by:

tod osier: Jun 29, 2022, 2:33 PM
Quote Reply
Re: Summer Doldrums In reply to
tod osier wrote:
Dani wrote:
Jeff Reardon wrote:
Maybe a DHBP gathering in October of 2023? I'm joking, mostly . . . . .




Now THAT would be fun!!!



I'm hoping to draw a moose tag that year Wink, so you all can help drag it out.

October in Maine is a special thing, I'm all for it. I'll bring my .22 for grouse and my worm rod for trouts.


Well, if we are going for flushing dogs over pointers, might as well drop the fly rods and bespoke doubles, too. :)

"At first blush I am tempted to conclude that a satisfactory hobby must be in large degree useless, inefficient, laborious, or irrelevant."
— Aldo Leopold
Quote Reply
Re: Summer Doldrums In reply to
Jeff Reardon wrote:
tod osier wrote:
Dani wrote:
Jeff Reardon wrote:
Maybe a DHBP gathering in October of 2023? I'm joking, mostly . . . . .




Now THAT would be fun!!!



I'm hoping to draw a moose tag that year Wink, so you all can help drag it out.

October in Maine is a special thing, I'm all for it. I'll bring my .22 for grouse and my worm rod for trouts.



Well, if we are going for flushing dogs over pointers, might as well drop the fly rods and bespoke doubles, too. :)


Who said anything about flushing? A retriever works well to pick them up after potting them in the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Summer Doldrums In reply to
tod osier wrote:
Jeff Reardon wrote:
tod osier wrote:
Dani wrote:
Jeff Reardon wrote:
Maybe a DHBP gathering in October of 2023? I'm joking, mostly . . . . .




Now THAT would be fun!!!



I'm hoping to draw a moose tag that year Wink, so you all can help drag it out.

October in Maine is a special thing, I'm all for it. I'll bring my .22 for grouse and my worm rod for trouts.



Well, if we are going for flushing dogs over pointers, might as well drop the fly rods and bespoke doubles, too. :)


Who said anything about flushing? A retriever works well to pick them up after potting them in the road.


If we're road shooting, easier to hit with a 20 ga. rested on the truck's mirror. Preferably short barreled for safety and easy hiding under a blanket behind the seat.

"At first blush I am tempted to conclude that a satisfactory hobby must be in large degree useless, inefficient, laborious, or irrelevant."
— Aldo Leopold
Quote Reply
Re: Summer Doldrums In reply to
a "cast of wet flies."


James Woods-that is a fun way to fish. I occasionally do a little of that myself. A light cahill and a leadwing coachman. Perfect this time of year.
Quote Reply
Re: Summer Doldrums In reply to
greg setter wrote:
a "cast of wet flies."


James Woods-that is a fun way to fish. I occasionally do a little of that myself. A light cahill and a leadwing coachman. Perfect this time of year.


When I fished for finicky brown trout more often, I used to often fish a pair of flies--a dry, so I had a visible indicator to get the drift right in some tricky spots, and a small olive soft hackle on a short dropper underneath it. It was amazing how many times I had what I thought were rises to the dry fly, only to find the fish had actually taken the soft hackle hanging a few inches lower in the water column.

Out west, the same technique was effective when there was no hatch on, and I'd fish a small hi-vis floating grasshopper or beetle pattern and hang a sinking ant pattern on a short dropper. All the visual fun of dry fly fishing and the effectiveness of small wet flies!

"At first blush I am tempted to conclude that a satisfactory hobby must be in large degree useless, inefficient, laborious, or irrelevant."
— Aldo Leopold
Quote Reply
Re: Summer Doldrums In reply to
If we're road shooting, easier to hit with a 20 ga. rested on the truck's mirror.

Sounds like some of the pheasant "hunting" we did growing up in NE PA....


Carl
Mobile, AL
DHBP Member since 1998

"Life is too short to drink bad beer."
Disclaimer: This post and/or report is not a substantiation of or reflection on the true accuracy of the present surveying methods. It is only a report on or comment concerning local observation and/or results. Your results and observation may vary based on your location, local water conditions, food supply, weather conditions and migratory patterns "
Quote Reply
Re: Summer Doldrums In reply to
I love that pond Jeff. Not sure if it's still there, about 2/3rd's the way across on the left shoreline (100' off) there were a couple submerged trees (logs) and you could see the tip of one just under the surface. That was always the "x" with a Black Ghost Marabou and a super fast sinking line. That story brought back some great memories. Thanks!
"Pass the Tradition Along"
Quote Reply
Re: Summer Doldrums In reply to
I won't name it, but that sounds like a different pond in the same area. And my experience of that spot is that a big orange muddler pulls that trout to the surface from the log . . . .

LOL--there is no shortage of opportunity if you are willing to walk a couple of miles.

"At first blush I am tempted to conclude that a satisfactory hobby must be in large degree useless, inefficient, laborious, or irrelevant."
— Aldo Leopold
Quote Reply
Re: Summer Doldrums: Finally got out fishing. In reply to
Got up way too early and made it to the bait shop at 5:15. No shrimp, truck hadnt arrived yet. Waited around until 5:45 when bait truck arrives. Got bait, drive to boat ramp and launch. Pull cord on my Merc promptly breaks while struggling to start it. Back on trailer, drive home, fix pull cord, hook up hose, yank on motor until it finally starts and runs. Restarted 3 times with one pull. GRRRRRRR.
Back to ramp, launch at 8am. Fished the large pilngs around the Gandy Bridge in Upper Tampa Bay. Caught a pile of short grey snapper, two keeper grey snapper, a couple of lane snapper, a grunt, a pile of jacks and a couple of nice Spanish mackerel. Ran out of shrimp around 11am, left them biting.
Fish tacos for dinner tonight, back at it tomorrow morning!





Carl
Mobile, AL
DHBP Member since 1998

"Life is too short to drink bad beer."
Disclaimer: This post and/or report is not a substantiation of or reflection on the true accuracy of the present surveying methods. It is only a report on or comment concerning local observation and/or results. Your results and observation may vary based on your location, local water conditions, food supply, weather conditions and migratory patterns "
Quote Reply
Re: Summer Doldrums: Finally got out fishing. In reply to
Troy-a black ghost marabou is one of my all time go to flies. I have caught fish on it everywhere I have ever fished, including out west. It's just a great bait fish imitation/representation. 1979, I'm in college, just starting to tie flies, went up to Errol for the weekend, fishing just below the dam. I'm catching fish like crazy on that fly, and have used it ever since.