Brain Trust question....tankless water heaters

I too have been contemplating a gas tankless to replace a gas tank. Mainly as others have said increase space. I have a 1000 ft basement and mine sits towards the left side of the area but in the middle next to the furnace. It would be great to not have a tank just to make the furnace area smaller so that I could one day put some sort of removeable surrounding around it. Did not really know about the de-scaling as I have not thoroughly researched. I am on city water and do not have any sort of water softener or reverse osmosis type system. So if one is to install a water softener as well as a reverse osmosis system I assume that it would reduce the scale. I know that routine maintenance for descaling should always be done at regular intervals. And I plan on doing just that. But I would think that it would really make your tankless system as well as other appliances last for many years to come. Especially over a tank water heater. Correct?

Anthony,

A water softener system would help with heater, washing machine, sink, shower, etc. But now you have another piece of equipment to maintain.

The items needing maintaining and upkeep seems to never end.

Rick Lathrop

Anthony,

A water softener system would help with heater, washing machine, sink, shower, etc. But now you have another piece of equipment to maintain.

The items needing maintaining and upkeep seems to never end.

Rick Lathrop
Same with all the subscription based things. They never end. :(

Linhart, I would find out about your water before you assumed you needed those extra things. Mine is 8 years old and I never de-scale it nor was it recommended as necessary. I am on city water in south Jersey, which is a mix of wells and Delaware river water. My unit is a Navien, I don't know that much about the different makes except the Rinnai was way more than everything else and needed annual maintenance. I did get a unit that had about 50% more hot water output per minute than my home (2 full baths, dishwasher, washing machine) supposedly needed, it's around 9 gals/minute.. My water doesn't have many minerals in it. If I was in central PA getting my water out of a bed of limestone, that might be a different story.

Linhart, I would find out about your water before you assumed you needed those extra things. Mine is 8 years old and I never de-scale it nor was it recommended as necessary. I am on city water in south Jersey, which is a mix of wells and Delaware river water. My unit is a Navien, I don't know that much about the different makes except the Rinnai was way more than everything else and needed annual maintenance. I did get a unit that had about 50% more hot water output per minute than my home (2 full baths, dishwasher, washing machine) supposedly needed, it's around 9 gals/minute.. My water doesn't have many minerals in it. If I was in central PA getting my water out of a bed of limestone, that might be a different story.
Yeah I plan on getting it tested to see it's mineral content. Sounds like your house is about the same as mine. 2 full baths, washing machine. Do not have a dishwasher yet as my 55 year old dishwasher is still working just fine. ;) But I may install one at some point anyways to give the old one a break. So it sounds like I might have to take a look at ones that are 9 gallons a minute.

Back