Lets see those turkeys!

Congratulations! Well done.

I tagged a good one during NJ opening week ( April 24th) but damp cool weather has slowed it down since then. I have 2 more tags to try and fill.

Attachments

• F21DA5EE-9B20-4980-8930-E5B175F3D3B9.jpeg
    F21DA5EE-9B20-4980-8930-E5B175F3D3B9.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 9BC75A23-1A3B-41F7-9C5F-23E9C840B610.jpeg
    9BC75A23-1A3B-41F7-9C5F-23E9C840B610.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 8
I had a pretty good season. Nuggets in the making...
20240427_172329.jpg

Nuggets....
20240427_172404.jpg

12 pounds of nuggets (trim from squaring up the breasts), these are what we didn't eat fresh and are for the deep freeze.
20240428_102832.jpg

Made 12 pounds of turkey burger from thighs, cut with a little bacon.
20240503_134823.jpg

Trimmed and rolled breasts...
20240428_155352.jpg

Breasts ready for the deep freeze all set for sous vide in the off season...
20240428_162635.jpg

Of course made lots of stock...
20240428_103643.jpg

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh I am just going to have to be jealous of y'all this year. My season closed without a shot fired. Strange year for me.

The first two weekends, the birds would not talk. At all. The third weekend had very active gobblers, all with multiple lady friends that I could not entice over to me. The fourth weekend saw 10.5" of rain in 12 hours so my woods, being flood plains mainly, flooded spectacularly. The areas that are more upland were not accessible to me because I refused to take the truck through questionably deep water across the road and all of the WMAs around me where I would normally hunt turkeys were flooded like this.

i-kvtBCRw-L.jpg

This is an example of one of the shallower crossings. I have no cell service in this particular stretch of woods and I also have twice ended up stuck in water like this in the FJ and had no desire to take apart the truck, all the way down to removing the flooring so I could dry it all out if I got stuck in this crossing.

I did park the truck a few times and wade through the crossings with my chest waders and I am glad I didn't take the truck since some of the deeper spots were waist high. For the jacked up trucks, maybe no problem but I learned my lesson in the past. But the woods on either side were flooded like crazy

i-3Ss6j2x-L.jpg

The Wacissa before my rain inundation

i-7KwcDFq-L.jpg

After and also after peak flooding

i-D4dCDJ5-L.jpg

I had multiple hens that wandered by me throughout the season but none had boy friends. I also had a couple of regular raccoons

i-4GBnjDh-L.jpg

Almost every trip required watching my feet

i-S98q5tv-L.jpg

With the flooding, other critters were seen where I wouldn't normally see them.

i-hwX9Rjs-L.jpg

But, being springtime meant that the flowers were gorgeous

i-MsXgPsJ-L.jpg

i-Gct3hBF-L.jpg

i-5dC6JPh-L.jpg

i-ZKhHw6p-L.jpg

i-hd7fcXJ-L.jpg

i-CMBM3Mv-L.jpg

i-xW9m2Lp-L.jpg

Oh well....there is always next year...

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh I am just going to have to be jealous of y'all this year. My season closed without a shot fired. Strange year for me.

The first two weekends, the birds would not talk. At all. The third weekend had very active gobblers, all with multiple lady friends that I could not entice over to me. The fourth weekend saw 10.5" of rain in 12 hours so my woods, being flood plains mainly, flooded spectacularly. The areas that are more upland were not accessible to me because I refused to take the truck through questionably deep water across the road and all of the WMAs around me where I would normally hunt turkeys were flooded like this.

i-kvtBCRw-L.jpg

This is an example of one of the shallower crossings. I have no cell service in this particular stretch of woods and I also have twice ended up stuck in water like this in the FJ and had no desire to take apart the truck, all the way down to removing the flooring so I could dry it all out if I got stuck in this crossing.

I did park the truck a few times and wade through the crossings with my chest waders and I am glad I didn't take the truck since some of the deeper spots were waist high. For the jacked up trucks, maybe no problem but I learned my lesson in the past. But the woods on either side were flooded like crazy

i-3Ss6j2x-L.jpg

i-7KwcDFq-L.jpg

i-D4dCDJ5-L.jpg

I had multiple hens that wandered by me throughout the season but none had boy friends. I also had a couple of regular raccoons

i-4GBnjDh-L.jpg

i-S98q5tv-L.jpg

i-hwX9Rjs-L.jpg

i-MsXgPsJ-L.jpg

i-Gct3hBF-L.jpg

i-5dC6JPh-L.jpg

i-ZKhHw6p-L.jpg

i-hd7fcXJ-L.jpg

i-CMBM3Mv-L.jpg

i-xW9m2Lp-L.jpg

Thanks for the pics, I love seeing your spring pics! You will get them next year.

i-kvtBCRw-L.jpg

i-3Ss6j2x-L.jpg

i-7KwcDFq-L.jpg

i-D4dCDJ5-L.jpg

i-4GBnjDh-L.jpg

i-S98q5tv-L.jpg

i-hwX9Rjs-L.jpg

i-MsXgPsJ-L.jpg

i-Gct3hBF-L.jpg

i-5dC6JPh-L.jpg

i-ZKhHw6p-L.jpg

i-hd7fcXJ-L.jpg

i-CMBM3Mv-L.jpg

i-xW9m2Lp-L.jpg

Well, that stinks with all the flooding. But thank you for taking us along with the photos.

Well no turkey for me this year, just didn't have much time this year for myself. Took the oldest boy out and unfortunately had 2 misses on turkey this year. First bird he just freaked out because they came out of no where and he forgot to take safety off. Once he realized the nerves were too bad and turkeys were on alert and the shot went way off which was his first missed, no longer 100%, but he handled it well.

Second bird is the one pictured. He was at 5 yards so I understand how he missed with using a turkey choke.

IMG_3339.png
IMG_3335.png

Well no turkey for me this year, just didn't have much time this year for myself. Took the oldest boy out and unfortunately had 2 misses on turkey this year. First bird he just freaked out because they came out of no where and he forgot to take safety off. Once he realized the nerves were too bad and turkeys were on alert and the shot went way off which was his first missed, no longer 100%, but he handled it well.

Second bird is the one pictured. He was at 5 yards so I understand how he missed with using a turkey choke.

View attachment 55681
View attachment 55682
Wow that's a great image! I've found with the kids a blind with a chair and shooting rest tames a lot of the shakes and shimmies. I think that was my 16yo sons 15th turkey and he's been on the ground for the last 4 or 5 feeling them spit/drum. LOVES it.

Back