My summer project-building a modified Black Brant III- UPDATED

Cody Williams

Hey everyone, after a few years of planning, daydreaming, and hemming and hawing over various design ideas I was finally able to start building my first duck boat last month. I needed a boat that would be able to haul myself, dog, gear, and occasionally a buddy comfortably. I also needed a boat that was shallow-water capable and could run a mud motor, as most of the spots I hunt here in Utah aren't accessible with an outboard, but could also run a regular outboard during the summer when fishing from deeper lakes. After looking at several different designs I couldn't shake the lines of the BBIII from my mind, something about that design just says "duckboat" in my mind.

I decided to build her with a few modifications to make shallow water operation easier, namely doing away with the sponsons by relocating the transom to the rear (to make running a surface drive mud motor possible, and also for more cockpit space), reinforcing the transom to handle the extra weight and torque of a mud motor, and the biggest change of all: removing all the rocker from the rear of the boat. My goal with removing the rocker was to make for cleaner water flow to a surface drive prop, allow the boat to plane more easily with a heavy hunting load, and to hopefully decrease the draft a touch by making the boat sit slightly higher in the water. I called Devlin Design and talked to Sam about my ideas, he was fully on board with the transom mod but wasn't so sure about the rocker modification, saying that it would probably work but that I was taking a step into weirdland with regards to the main panel shapes and how the hull would come together. I'm seemingly ever eager to make things harder on myself, so I plunged into the rocker mod full steam ahead. After building a few scale hull models it seemed like I had a pretty good idea of what the hull changes would entail.

Here's the basic hull panels and sides with rear rocker taken out:
P4290015.jpg

P4290018.jpg

P4290017.jpg

P5030027.jpg

The way I did the rocker mod was to add what I removed from the keel line to the tops of the sides, proportionally. This ended up changing the transom width, transom and rear cockpit bulkhead height, side panel length, and side panel height, and overall length by a small margin. After burning countless brain cells and pacing around my shop and garage floor for a few hours I got everything aligned, squared, and shaped properly. Every part of a stitch-and-glue hull really does affect every other part! Had to take the family on a canoe trip to give my brain a bit of a rest!

P5060032.jpg

P5060034.jpg

After getting everything squared, leveled, and plumb I was able to start dropping bulkheads in place and finally able to get some epoxy and glass onto okoume!

P5220096.jpg

P5220094.jpg

P5220098.jpg

Ever-loyal shop assistant Sage was a big help, but he keeps getting clumps of epoxy stuck to his fur

P4150290.jpg

All the time that I was working on the hull I was thinking about the best way to reinforce the transom to handle the extra stress of a mud motor. What I finally came up with was to laminate several pieces together into a thicker transom. I cut the full transom out of 3/4 and in the center section laminated an additional piece of 3/4 plus a layer of 1/4" laminated on top to fit the width of my mud motor mounting bracket. (1 3/4" total thickness in the center section). The outer parts of the transom are laminated with a layer of 3/8 over the 3/4 to add stiffness overall. That leaves a step of about 5/8" between the center section and the outer sections of the transom. My idea here is to use these edges as a landing for some longitudinal bulkheads that will run from the transom to the rear cockpit bulkhead, then be bonded to the bottom of the boat and also form the edges of a splash well. I'm having a hard time explaining what this idea is but maybe some photos will make it clearer:

Reinforced transom
P5220089.jpg

Tacked into place on the boat
P5220100.jpg

Rear cockpit storage space/space for reinforcement "box"
P5220101.jpg

Basically the concept is to form a box with longitudinals between the edges of the rear cockpit bulkhead cutouts and the steps in the transom. I think this will add a lot of strength, and I'm planning to fill the box with pour foam after I install a drain tube and the splash well deck.

That's all I have for now, hopefully I can get some work done the next few nights!

Last edited:
WOW, Your doing a Great Job. I read two books, bought plans studied about building my own duck boat. Gave up the idea. Good to see someone making it work.

Cody, very nice looking build! Just one suggestion if I understand your plan.... you are going to run a drain tube from the rear bulkhead to the transom as for your drain plug...? I would oversize that tube. Or fit some kind of a removable screen on the inside. Mud and leaf debris will plug it at some point or ice? Keep a ram rod in the boat maybe to clear it when needed?

Your doing an awesome job!! Keep the pics coming. Looking foward to seeing the boat come to life.
I thought there were 2 designs for the BB. I thought there was one with rocker (displacement hull) and one with no rocker (planning hull).

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words guys. Dave-I am planning to run an oversized drain tube from under the floor to the transom for a drain, the plans call for drain holes in the cockpit floor and I was thinking about putting a screen over them to keep as much muck out of the bilge as possible and then also running a screen over the end of the drain tube to keep it as clean as possible. That coupled with a couple of inspection plates in the floor should hopefully make it easier to keep the bilge clean. Do you think that will work out OK? I was also toying with the idea of filling the bilge space with pour foam and putting the drain as a direct line from the cockpit floor out the transom but I don't know if that's a good idea or not.

Chris- the Black Brant II is a displacement hull, the BBIII has a planing hull but as designed still has roughly 1" of rocker in the rear. Probably not a huge amount but I still want to run a dead straight hull in the rear, not sure how much difference it will make but I wanted to give it a try.

Last edited:
Sometimes with modifications it is build has you go. You may want to use some type of open channel with a cover in the bilge to drain out the boat. Take a look at Eric's build of the Scaup on this site. The build looks like it is going well and it will be interesting to know how your modification workout.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. I'm envisioning doing something pretty close to what Eric did. I was speaking with Sam about filling the floor with foam and he talked me out of it, and also gave me some ideas for draining the bilge. I'm out of the state for the next week so I won't be able to do any work, but I will have lots of time to think things through! Can't wait to get back to work on the boat......

After a few frustrating weeks of having very little time to work on the boat, managed to get a few good days work in-

Motor well box installed and completed
MotorBulkheads.jpg

Floor longitudinal and grid installed
FloorGrid.jpg

Quarter view with rear cockpit bulkhead, storage areas and floor grid
FloorandEpoxy.jpg

Stern view
Rear.jpg

View from the bow with 3 coats of epoxy rolled in
FrontQuarter.jpg

Now just to install the deck beam, do a bit of sanding and some preliminary electrical stuff and I'll be ready to flip her over and glass the bottom!

Cody

You are doing very nice work.

I do recommend you bond your floor in and it is best to extend the knees into the floor. My first boat was similar to your configuration and I had delamination problems where the floor supports tapered into nothing. The pictures below were my solution in a subsequent build. The hull is very ridgid with almost no more weight.

You should be okay if you bond your floor.

Thanks for the encouragement guys! Eric-I was planning to fully bond the floor to the hull and supports, with some round access covers just like yours. It's probably too late to carry the knees all the way across the hull like you did, but your build looks like it would be bombproof!

Cody, the only thing I can add to your build to to make sure you drill/cut a drain for the forward storage area. I did not thinking that is would not get much water in there over the lip, but it gets a lot of water from rain and shaking/dripping dogs. The only way to get the water out is to sponge it. PITA.

Thanks for that advice Ray, at this point it should be really easy to drill a drain hole through the bulkhead. I was also thinking about extending the floor a short way into the forward storage compartment to have a level place to mount a battery, does that sound like a good idea?

the boat looks great. I had a bigger boat once with the deck fully glassed down with no access. it did get moisture in there from sweating and water layed inside. if you can I would put some vents somewhere to let it breath a little.

Thanks for that advice Ray, at this point it should be really easy to drill a drain hole through the bulkhead. I was also thinking about extending the floor a short way into the forward storage compartment to have a level place to mount a battery, does that sound like a good idea?

Follow what others have done and mount the battery on its own shelf way up front out of the way. With my short arms I found that most of the under deck space I do not use. If I have to lay down and crawl in there to get something I get really bothered. I will eventually move my battery way up there to the front bulkhead wall, but that will require me to spend a lot of time doing epoxy work in a confined space. If I had it do do over again I would build a custom fuel tank up against that front bulkhead.

For the floor drain holes you can use some PVC fittings from the home store. Back in the plumbing section you should be able to find some black or green drain fittings for PVC pipe. The green ones are made from recycled plastic. I found that there is not an easy way to fit the flanges down into the floor without building/making a router template. That is until I bought a bearing guided rabbit bit. You can drill a decent sized hole with a hole saw bit and then use a bearing guided rabbit bit on a router to get close to the right size lip to have the flange sit flush with the floor surface. Seal the rabbit with epoxy and then mount the flange in silicone or 5200. I have mine mounted with silicone and can pull them out for extra cleaning if I need to.

The fittings come in standard pipe sizes up to 4 inches I think. You may have to cut the ends down to allow room between the hull and the fitting end since the fittings are about 3 inches long.

Some good things to think about Ray. How is your battery charging system set up? I would like to get the battery way out of the way up near the front floatation bulkhead but I'm not 100% sure how to go about setting up a remote charging system.

Some good things to think about Ray. How is your battery charging system set up? I would like to get the battery way out of the way up near the front floatation bulkhead but I'm not 100% sure how to go about setting up a remote charging system.

For my 25hp Nissan I had to buy a rectifier kit from the dealer. The motor came with a stator built into the flywheel, so it was a pretty simple upgrade to bolt the rectifier in place and plug the color coded wires into where the directions said they went.

Depending on your motor it may already have a rectifier and stator. If it is old then you may have to do some serious wrenching and parts gathering to get a stator flywheel or magneto, and rectifier kit installed. All depends on the model and brand. If your motor is electric start then you should be set as the parts are already built into the motor.

Once that was installed on the motor, it was just running the wires to a battery. Because my battery was an after thought it sits loose in the forward bulkhead area. Not recommended by anyone including me.

I don't think that will apply to me Ray, I'm planning to run a mud motor instead of and outboard so I'll probably be stuck running an external charger to recharge the battery. I'm trying to get my head around the wiring setup, all I really want to run is a switch panel, electric start for the motor, navigation lights, and possible some interior LED lights. Seems like it should be pretty easy to set up, hopefully!

Awesome looking build. I love reading these threads and learning more about build aspects. I'll take the plunge on a large build one day. The discussion about the battery and gas falls into my past custom mud/duck boat design experience, and I'd recommend FOR a gas tank, filler access, gauge, etc in the front, but NOT the batteries. What I and customers found out was that once the gas tank is somewhere, all you ever need to do is fill it and change a hose every few years. You can put your squeeze back by the motor well.

With batteries, you may add/remove wires, remove/replace them, jump a buddy, etc, pretty frequently. Having them nearer the drive and other electronics/motor seemed to work better, overall....plus, it still gets them away from the gas. We had a battery blow this past Saturday. Lucky we had our backs turned. I'd hate for that to happen in an enclosed bow space with that acid. You can always use dry cells, seperate compartments, etc. I just prefer gas in a bow tank, if for no other reason tha I can generally fill up the boat and truck from the same pump without moving. LOL

Back