11' Higbee Sneakbox

Is anyone running a 25hp outboard on any of these? If so how do they handle? A 25 2 stroke weighs less than a 15 4 stroke.

25hp would be alot of engine on that little boat. I got a higee last year that came with a 15 2 stroke. It flys, handles pretty good but scary fast for me in such a little boat. I have a 25 2 stroke on my 16' skiff I thought about trying on the higbee but thought it would be too much. Just my opinion, let me know if you try it. The USCG plate on the higbee says it's rated for a 5hp Luke

Not planning to race it just yet, just looking to repower and 15hp yamaha 2 strokes are almost imposible to find new in a 15 inch shaft. I found a 25 2 stroke new and found out it weighs almost 15 lbs less than the 4 stroke.

Last edited:
Jamie, I have that boat and run a 4 stroke 9.9. My boat moves plenty fast but that motor is a heavy sucker. I hunt with a guy with a 15 2 stroke BBSB and another guy with a Schellinger high box with a 25 2 stroke and keep up with them fine. We also run big water. I agree with the others that a 2 stroke 15 would be more than enough. If I could do it over again that is what I would do. Let me know if you have any other Q's about Higbees. Dave

Dave, Thanks for the input. I was currently running a 15 2 stroke on the boat and looking to repower and like you said the 9.9 is heavy. A 15 4 stroke is heavier than the 25 2 stroke. I also remember when running 2 people in the boat and towing a pond box the engine was laboring to stay on plane. I was sure the 25 would solve that problem with less weight than the 4 stroke. I have also heard some people saying that the 4 stroke does not seem to plane the boat off as quick on the low end.

Not sure if you are in NJ or not, but there's a guy in LBI selling a like new 2005 15 two stroke short shaft yamaha... it is advertised on a fishing site.

Picked up a new 25 two stroke for my 11 ft higbee, boat handles quite well with the 25, runs with 2 people, and has a good running speed. Boat planes in about the length of the boat, pulls a pond box well with 2 people and gear in the boat.

Man, that thing must fly. How do you fit 2 people and gear in that little thing. I feel cramped with just myself and a few decoys. I have a 25 on my 16' skiff maybe I'll try it on my higbee. Luke

Id like to see a pic of the boat on plane towing a pond box with two people and gear myself. Manly the other guys face. Sounds a bit much to me but i guess im a worry wart.

Back