1963 Herters Goose & Duck Boat

chris k

looking for some info on this boat all i know is its 12ft and what the title says. what do they go for?

Chris,
I looked into them in the past a few things they can become waterloged and heavy. I don't know if its the structure itself or the foam but I would look into that. Otherwise they seemed like a reasonable boat. 500 seems high unless its really in good shape.

I had one, reworked it into a sneakbox morph. It's somewhere on Lake Okeechobee now. They are a good pond and inshore boat, but too narrow for routine openwater use, even with a spray dodger on them. I ended-up having to stow the gas tank in the bow to trim the boat out when I ran it under power.

We'll I am now the proud owner of a 51 year old gem. And she is perfect going to take her for a test row tomorrow after a few hours of bs and story telling I got the boat for 250 and learned a great deal about the man who owned it. Hope the boat doesn't get bored with me.

these are from the 1966 catalog You just have to love his marketing. Chrome fiberglass? But anyway they are good boats.

very cool boats!

If you are going to do a lot of rowing, reinforce the oarlocks now or they will bust out of the fiberglass.

what book was that in. before I bought the boat i did some research but couldnt find much online. i new of the boat from this forum but never actually saw one until now.

Chris~

That looks like the 1966 Herter's catalog. It was re-printed several years ago - for those of us to grew up with it. Your boat is on pages 252 and 253.

All the best,

SJS

The Herters catalog. The bible of my youth. It had everything in it and it was all world famous and guide tested.

I had one of these boats in the early '80's and I would run it with a Johnson 9.9. I could not get it onto plane and would keep the motor at about half throttle. I liked the boat and its heritage but it sure was heavy.
I sold it in the mid-90's for $500.

Back