200 mm on an incoming drake

Dick Sargeant

A while back I picked up a 200 prime lens in the hope that it would be good for shots over decoys, I am hoping to be able to shoot a little more in a frame than the 400 but still capture decent detail at 20-40 yards. I was out prowling a marsh nearby and had a mallard come in to where I was set up. Although I did not have any decoys out, this bird wanted in where I was and it gave me a chance to see what the lens could do at decoy range -

I think this lens is going to work out pretty good. These are cropped and there was room in each frame for other birds.

I also saw a coyote in a beautiful rust color, kind of like dead pine needles but he slipped out of sight before I could get a shot. I am hoping this coyote may have a route that it runs and that I might get another chance with the 400.

sarge

Very nice, Dick. Seems strange to not see some sort of background. What time of the day was this? What was your setting on this series? I sure like that 2nd shot, Dick.
Al

Increase your shutter speed and you will "stop" the bird in mid air... no blur on his wingtips. You can do this by shooting in shutter speed priority Tv, adjust your ISO to somewhere around 100-200 on a bright sunny day and your aperature will be automatic.

Dick~

Great shot! That first image especially makes it harder to wait all the way to October....

All the best,

SJS

Very nice, Dick. Seems strange to not see some sort of background. What time of the day was this? What was your setting on this series? I sure like that 2nd shot, Dick.
Al
Hi Al - Yes, I agree it's strange. Cloudy day but with sun peeking out behind me but no real blue showing behind the subject. The bird just happened to be without any other background but I was able to go to F8 at 1000 so I am thinking this can work well when birds come on down into the deeks and there is a background that I want, at least, in partial focus.
sarge

Increase your shutter speed and you will "stop" the bird in mid air... no blur on his wingtips. You can do this by shooting in shutter speed priority Tv, adjust your ISO to somewhere around 100-200 on a bright sunny day and your aperature will be automatic.
Hi - thanks for these ideas, photography is certainly one giant chain reaction. I happen to shoot in M and these were taken at 1000, F8 and 400 ISO. I do prefer a lower ISO when there is enough light but this particular day was mostly overcast. These shots would have been impossible with the 400 5.6

The shot with a lot of blur on the wings is likely caused mostly due to the fact that I missed him with the point of focus (center) but I was happy that the head and eye is fairly sharp. In some ways, I also like this shot because it gives a sense of motion and, believe me, this guy was moving !
sarge

Sometimes it's a good thing for a slower shutter speed, so as to show motion. When I was taking photos for Cessna Aircraft, it was a big no-no to shoot so fast as to stop the propeller -- not a good thing when you're trying to sell airplanes ...

Beautiful pic Dick. I must admit when I first saw the thread title, I thought it was about a 20mm shell hitting a drake... Need now glasses...

Back