2014 - Signs of the apocalypse

Report it? I don't think you understand. I live a small rural area where everyone knows everyone. I can't report these people if I expect to remain a member of my club or have anything other than negative interactions with people. I'm not going to get ostracized over this. I guess that makes me part of the problem. I don't want to be forced to quit hunting. This is not a case of a few isolated incidents. This is standard operating procedure. And is well known amongst the local authorities. There is no way the local authorities can do anything about it.

I have to live in this community. Sorry to bitch, but it does make me feel a little better to complain to someone about it.

There is no way the local authorities can do anything about it.

BS. They may not want to do anything about it. They may have to endure some abuse when they do something about it. But if they know what's going on, they could easily put together some high profile busts and make it clear that times had changed. It might not be popular, but folks who get paid to wear a badge need to expect that. Nobody thanks state troopers for speeding tickets or OUI busts, but that's the business they're in.

Report it? I don't think you understand. I live a small rural area where everyone knows everyone. I can't report these people if I expect to remain a member of my club or have anything other than negative interactions with people. I'm not going to get ostracized over this. I guess that makes me part of the problem. I don't want to be forced to quit hunting. This is not a case of a few isolated incidents. This is standard operating procedure. And is well known amongst the local authorities. There is no way the local authorities can do anything about it.

I have to live in this community. Sorry to bitch, but it does make me feel a little better to complain to someone about it.

If it is as rampant and blatant as you describe and the local officials are overlooking it I would call the nearest Federal Game Warden and report the activity to him. He won't "out" you and he WILL TAKE ACTION.

I agree with your feelings towards Phil and all of the duck commanders. I am not a fan and like many in our society they are making money and using religion as part of thier game. I am not agianst relgion and have my own. I actually heard the "story", of Phil's life on a religous radio station on my way to Iowa last week to visit family. It was a moving story and if true, i applaud his success. But I do beleive it is out of control and now they have gone overboard with thier want of more and more fame and wealth. I do think there has been some good as they have increased the number of young hunters, which we do need as there has been a ong-term decline in hunter recruitment; however, he has done no favors to us older tride and true hunters that were raised by fathers, uncles, friends that also taugh us - ETHICS AND RESPONSIBILTIY FOR THE RESOURCE AND OTHER HUNTERS! I have never seen (very few) or heard of a single show where he actually dicsussed hunting ethics or responsibilty for the resource or other hunters. For example, it is not quite common for a bunch of young hunters in the latest gera and face paint to show up and set up down wind of me 60 yards, shoot my swinging birds and call thier heads off at every bird that flies by and those that are working me. They also have no idea about duck ID and regularly skybust. It really is dissapointing. Fortunately, I have two children (Claire-10 & Nova-7) that I take hunting and teach them ethics and respect for the resource - so I do have hope. People like Phil and wildman Ted Nugent are actually doing us no favor. Most people are indifferent to our pursuit; however, when exposed to such in-your-face, down-your-throat actions of these guys, many of these people turn against hunting and help strengthen the anti-hunting community.

Every time I go home to visit my folks and have a chance to watch satelite tv and see the many distasteful hunting programs and the other reality show junk, it reinforces my proper choice not to have tv at home. I will say I did see one neat show called meater-eater, not a fan of the name, but the show was very interesting - not worth having tv though!!

Thats my two-cents worth!!

I cant believe that people poach that bad. there are pople who hunt early/late, out of season, jack light deer, shoot over their limit up here i cant imagine its that bad here.I get pissed if people set up to close to me, if i knew people were baiting shooting hundreds of birds there is no way i could stand idle. Boo hoo if i cant hunt and be excepted who wants to be part of that anyway.

If i was an officer i would be foaming at the mouth to put those pieces of sh*t behind bars. All i know is karmas a bitch and mother nature isnt a pushover either, they will get their's.

I was not happy that ct had no rules regarding snapping turtles and people (i am with holding some adjectives) absolutly raped the turtle population. Now thankfully there are fishing regulations in place. But if no one enforces them whats the point?

The birds are more important than hunting to me. i do and would go out with out a gun just to watch birds.

I did hear a guide was baiting ducks on a lease and got caught. There are some deeply troubling juicy parts that i would rather not post on a public forum too.

This is why teaching youths ethics is so important and why america is going down the crapper

What was that thing that Jesus said about a rich man, a camel, and the eye of a needle?

Indeed many want to be blessed with wealth like winning the lottery. But most often it is a curse. Just look at what happens to lottery winners. They don't all live happily ever after.

But you need to read all the way to the end of the passage:

Mark 10
23And Jesus, looking around, said to His disciples, “How hard it will be for those who are wealthy to enter the kingdom of God!” 24The disciples were amazed at His words. But Jesus answered again and said to them, “Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! 25“It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” 26They were even more astonished and said to Him, “Then who can be saved?” 27Looking at them, Jesus said, “With people it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God.”

I don't think it is apples to apples comparing what Phil said (about getting what amounts to a clean and humane kill) to poaching. While I certainly would not have put that in ad, it is not illegal.

What would be worse would be him saying he likes to cripple ducks, then ring their necks, if he catches them.

I have to admit, their camouflage and face paint must be really good to get a mallard that close to take off it's head. However, to ask a redneck to think outside the box may be asking more than mankind can handle.

Last edited:
I agree with what you are sayind Andy and Dennis. I do equate what Phil said with poaching. But it is an in-your-face and distasteful use of words. And probably a behavior that can not be changed.

But damn it Phil- teach them kids some ethics!!

This post has really gotten me thinking about my future. I look daily at conservation/wildlife/fisheries jobs and saw a posting for a conservation officer cadet position. I never wanted to be the "green police" but the more i think about it i think it would be a fulfilling job. We will see what happens i guess.

I like Brandon's quote from his avatar, "UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

This post has really gotten me thinking about my future. I look daily at conservation/wildlife/fisheries jobs and saw a posting for a conservation officer cadet position. I never wanted to be the "green police" but the more i think about it i think it would be a fulfilling job. We will see what happens i guess.

I like Brandon's quote from his avatar, "UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Sorry for the thread hi-jacking, but if you like hunting and fishing, don't become a game warden. I'd also suggest avoiding any natural resource career. You will enjoy much more and better outdoor experiences if you make a lot of money and have time off. You will also enjoy your outings more if you work indoors, not out in the elements chasing hoodlums.

We've had game wardens for 100 years and we still have poachers. We need the game wardens, but they ain't gonna put an end to the problem.

Good luck.

I agree with what you are sayind Andy and Dennis. I do equate what Phil said with poaching. But it is an in-your-face and distasteful use of words. And probably a behavior that can not be changed.

But damn it Phil- teach them kids some ethics!!

Phil does indeed attempt to teach kids ethics. He preaches the Golden Rule, etc. Remember it is not unethical the want to kill ducks AND eat them. Nor is it unethical to shoot a duck's head off. Then eat it the duck.

Gruesome, maybe, but not unethical. He does not even imply that one should break the law, that can not be said of everyone in his line of business. When he can, Phil preaches the Bible, which is not a matter of following the rules only when you might get caught, but of WANTING to follow the rules and do what is right at all times. Would that not decrease poaching?

The end of the day I have yet to be able to simply talk a duck into giving up or tickle it with a feather until it concedes defeat. I need to hit it with a well placed shotgun bast and kill it. The more humane the better.

I agree with your entire last post Andy. "Gruesome, maybe but not unethical" A picture is worth a thousand words, and all one has to do is check the Hevi-Metal ad - EVERYTHING DIES. SOME JUST GO QUICKER, in the Nov.Dec. DU magazine. How is that different than what Phil said about killing ducks?

When you can hold a Pretty Decoy up in the air, or a very expensive Shot Gun without firing it, and ducks fall so we can eat them. Now that will be something!

Recently a local paper ran a article about Why hunters use the terms "Harvested and Bagged" instead of Killed? Good point, my retort will be. When you go to the Grocery Store to buy Meat, every package should have KILLED ON DATE, along with SELL BY THIS DATE. You know, just to put things in proper perspective.

Up until this evening, I've managed to avoid posting to this thread. The main reason was the topic phrase...."Signs of the apocalypse"....but there are other reasons, too. I'm 73 years old and have seen quite a bit in those many years. To use a slang phrase coined by the younger generation. "Give me a break."

There are very few boundaries that have not been crossed in marketing. Often times it matters not whether what's said is classy or questionable......it's the way of advertising. There is another thread along the same lines dealing with lawlessness and/or "slob" behaviors. If you have no way of providing any input to the situation. "Get over it."

This forum has many members voicing their opinions about hunting.....mostly positive......but once in awhile topics drift into statements that are better left unsaid. Unwittingly, emotionally vented comments provide a steady stream of "fodder for the antis". If you see something wrong where you hunt or while "out there", contact the authorities in charge......or not. There is no need to become a reporter to the Internet masses or share with a small fraternity to "wallow".

I learned a long time ago to "let go" of things I have absolutely no control over. Unfortunately, "shirking" is simple or in some cases the safe way. Then again maybe there is some truth to "misery loves company".

This thread has become rather disappointing. If my post comes across as a lecture......that's right on target.
----------------------

Last edited:
Up until this evening, I've managed to avoid posting to this thread. The main reason was the topic phrase...."Signs of the apocalypse"....but there are other reasons, too. I'm 73 years old and have seen quite a bit in those many years. To use a slang phrase coined by the younger generation. "Give me a break."

There are very few boundaries that have not been crossed in marketing. Often times it matters not whether what's said is classy or questionable......it's the way of advertising. There is another thread along the same lines dealing with lawlessness and/or "slob" behaviors. If you have no way of providing any input to the situation. "Get over it."

This forum has many members voicing their opinions about hunting.....mostly positive......but once in awhile topics drift into statements that are better left unsaid. Unwittingly, emotionally vented comments provide a steady stream of "fodder for the antis". If you see something wrong where you hunt or while "out there", contact the authorities in charge......or not. There is no need to become a reporter to the Internet masses or share with a small fraternity to "wallow".

I learned a long time ago to "let go" of things I have absolutely have no control over. Unfortunately, "shirking" is simple or in some cases the safe way. Then again maybe there is some truth to "misery loves company".

This thread has become rather disappointing. If my post comes across as a lecture......that's right on target.
----------------------

For myself, I appreciate those who are willing to share and comment on difficult topics. Share to help define their own opinion. Share to spread knowledge. Share to make a persuasive argument to others to consider their actions and beliefs. That is what a forum like this is about, especially this forum.

There is much content in this thread that is of interest to the thinking person and person who strives to be an ethical hunter. I'll say I was absolutely floored at John's comments appreciate him sharing them. I had little understanding of the conditions he described other than a vague notion that they existed in areas. I appreciate Bob's heads up on the new marketing campaign - I had seen a DC mossberg ad, but knew nothing more.

T

Last edited:
I can only hope some of the folks who have posted on this thread are different in real life as their online persona screams "I'm a pussy"

Back