40 hp recommendations

Shawn Linn

Looking to power a new project with a new 40hp tiller long shaft outboard. I have been looking at the comparisons on the internet and would like some input from the guys who use motors like I do.

So far the top three:

E-tec- good displacement, i like my 30hp, but heavy and pricey

Honda- good weght- lower displacement- don't know much about them. better price point

Suzuki middle range on weight but highest displacement, owned a 25hp years ago really sorry I lost it in river, better price than e-tec

Any input would be great especially if you run one of these motors.

Had the Etec. Not a very strong motor at all. Carries a good load because of the huge prop.

I run a 40hp Yamaha 4stroke on a 18' Jon boat and like everything about it for my use. There's is a few times I wish I had alittle more power.

Also run a 40hp mercury 2 stroke on a 15' fiberglass boat that serves that purpose well. Light weight and cost were the factors on it.

I have looked at the honda engines and wouldn't hesitate to run them either.

Last edited:
Suzuki all the way, I ran a DF140 with a jet on my work boat , and a DF115 now on my duck boat, very solid running motors.

I put a brand new Yamaha 40 LA on my Bankes Dominator last year. It was a beautiful engine. Full everything on the tiller. Yamaha is the best engine made. Hands down. There is a dealer in Pennsville, NJ who is personally recommended by Michael Bankes. I used them and was extremely happy. I would highly recommend them. Ron Pedrick is the owners name. Good luck !!

My Yamaha F40 has been great. It needed a carb job at 10 years and in the neighborhood of 1000 hours, but nothing else other than normal maint items.

we own 3 Suzuki's right now 2 on our fishing boat and one on our Goliath. never had any issues with any of them best motors we have ever owned hands down.

that being said have a 25hp Yamaha 4 stroke for sale now that has also been a great motor but we did have some problems with a few 2 strokes years back

Suzuki's are great engines but make sure you have a good mechanic that works on them around you just in case.

I am very happy with my Suzuki 4-stroke motors. I have a 70 hp remote plus 40 and 25 tillers. They are good performers, quiet, and reliable. The 70 and 40 are used mainly in duck-hunting situations so they are called upon to start frequently in cold weather...down to zero. I can't remember a time when they didn't start on the first contact. I patronize great marine service shops and have them serviced annually, which no doubt helps.

Jeff Churan

Shawn,

Yes there is...and one on the shaft as well. The 40hp is started with a key, while the 25hp starts by push button.

Jeff Churan

I have that on my e-tec 30hp and really like it. i can even use it with my short thumb. thanks for the input

Capt. Larry where do you get your suzuki motors and who does your service

Shawn we buy all of our parts from Browns Point Marine they have moved to Keyport since Super Storm Sandy they are one of the largest parts dealers in the country. We have done all of our own service thus far so I can't say what the mechanics are like first hand but I have heard good things. It's a good thing when the motors don't need to go in for anything!!! Routine maintenance is always done by us. Hope that helps feel free to contact me if there is any other assistance I can provide.

there's a guy in long island who has 10 new 2010 40 mercury big foots in the box with warranty 4500.00 if interested pm me

Back