'48 Ducker

WOW... I just noticed the listing for the boat is still on Craigslist. You'll read what I saw.
The guy selling it also threw in an electric trolling motor. I was pretty sure it was a ducker but not positive until I saw it in person.... and yes, right here in Nebraska about 20 miles from my house.

10 ft flat bottom duck boat - $400 (Firth, NE)

Date: 2012-04-01, 6:42PM CDT
Reply to: ncvdm-2934972661@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

For sale 10ft flat bottom duck boat complete with one seat, oars, paddle, life jackets and attachable wheels for easy transport. It's been a great boat that my family has had for years.

5Lb5Fe5Ma3G43Fe3Lcc41bcea984c95cc1596.jpg

Last edited:
Using his inflation calculator, that is why I am asking $2000 for my ducker. Plus mine comes with the hard to find oars. It is a boat that you can really appreciate and if you take good care of it , it never gets old.

Perhaps if your boat was brand new in the shipping crate....
But since it's not...
Ducker = $2000.00 based on 1948 model
Depreciation for first 10 years = 5% per year = $100.00 per year or $1000 for the first 10 years.
Depreciation for years past first 10 years = 1% per year = $20.00 per year or $1080 for 54 years.
$2000.00 - $1000.00 – $1080.00 = $-80.00
Throw in $20.00 for the oars.
You give me $60.00 and I'll come pick it up.
Just having fun.

Perhaps if your boat was brand new in the shipping crate....
But since it's not...
Ducker = $2000.00 based on 1948 model
Depreciation for first 10 years = 5% per year = $100.00 per year or $1000 for the first 10 years.
Depreciation for years past first 10 years = 1% per year = $20.00 per year or $1080 for 54 years.
$2000.00 - $1000.00 – $1080.00 = $-80.00
Throw in $20.00 for the oars.
You give me $60.00 and I'll come pick it up.
Just having fun.

I think your math is flawed Ed...at some point, scrap prices take over, 62 pounds x $.50 per pound (average, varies from $.30 to .70 based on cleanliness and grade) makes it $31. I'll give you $40 and I'll even pick it up at that price...

LOL....I was trying to keep it simple. Scrap rate in my area is .60/per pound for all aluminum. You're getting screwed!

Shannon
I've enjoyed your restoration posts and look forward to see your hunting shots out of it this fall.
wis boz

My 4o's something type B 14ft row boat with the orginal oars must be worth at least 3k with this line of thinking:))

The thing about a light metal boat (a ducker) is that as long as you don't bang it up, which I have not, and put the right paint on it, it looks like it came right out the crate. Compare mine to the original brochure pictures. Not to mention you will be a better hunter ;-)

Art,

Just having a little fun at your expense. Anyone that has sold anything knows an item is worth what a person will pay for it. Patients is the key.

My mom's uncle had one of these when I was a kid. I wanted one of these boats for years but never could find one. I researched this boat back in the 70's. I was told by an Alumacraft rep at a boat show that Alumacraft still has the tooling to construct this boat. The problem is the aluminum material available today will not form to the design of that boat with the tooling they have. Seems the aluminum that Alumacraft used was a supplus aluminum alloy used in the production of bridge pontoons in WWII. It was a high yield alloy material capable of being formed under extreme pressures without ripping. Even in the 40's and 50's it was a lost leader item for Alumacraft because of the expense but gear acquisition was no different then than it is today. We NEEDED that new camo or that new gun or that new boat or those new indestructable no maintenance decoys the list goes on and on.

Today I hunt from a Momarsh Fatboy made of fiberglass and quite frankly I like the fact that when it's a cold day in November it's warmer than aluminum and if I drop something it's not as loud as aluminum. But that's my preference. I also hunt over plastic decoys and have, yes Todd....not one but two spinning wing decoys so I guess I'm not much of a traditionalist.

My best of luck to you in selling your piece of history. BTW there are two Lund duckers forsale out there on Craigs list. One for $400 and one for $750. There is also a fiberglass version of the Alumacraft ducker out there for sale for $1499 and there is a guy with 3 Alumacraft duckers for sale listed at $1800 to $2500. Many prices and options. Be patient and I'm sure your buyer will come along.

Thanks Art

Any of the other folks with Duckers have a slatted floor panel?

An old river rat I used to hunt with had one in his Ducker, and I was curious about the dimensions and how it was constructed. It sat on top of the ribs and kept your backside out of any water that might have collected in the bottom.

Tim

With the help of a good friend of mine, the ducker is painted. I think it's marsh brown.
We've been doing some fishing out of her. Can't wait for this Fall!!

View attachment 15.JPG

I also included a picture of the trolling motor bracket. It's pretty close to the orginal one.
1/4" thick aluminum plate and oak wood on the end to tighten the trolling motor bolts onto.

View attachment 16.JPG

Back