A few ducks

Lucky you, Jake. A very nice bag. I see the reverse migration is on if you bagged a Mexican duck. I hunted this past weekend with a high school friend that I hadn't hunted with since 1957 and we never shouldered our guns on Sunday. Scratched down one widgeon on Saturday.
Al

Its been a very tough year. Not sure what the heck is going on. Maybe Tim has some answers. Times ah ticken......

Nothing like a big brown blockhead to gather up your game.
I see he has the white in his muzzle, just curious, how old is he?
Looks very much like my boy Kodi.
What's he weigh?
Nice looking dog.

Thanks guys...Yah, he is a great dog. Funny thing is he still thinks he should be a lap dog. He tries his hardest to get up on you for a pet. In the blind he will paw at you trying to get your attention. He is 8 years old. When I got him as a pup he had a few grey/white hairs on his chest. Now they are everywhere. I need to check his weight. He started taking photos from a very young age and I really think he knows how to pose. Really fun to hunt with!! 1 year I was between dogs and never even went out. One of my greatest pleasures is watching him work. I really dont think I would waterfowl hunt without a dog. Makes for a great time in the field.

Thanks....It was a beautiful morning for sure. Hard to look for ducks when you have that sky in front of you.

I totally get what you mean about hunting with, or should I say for, the dog. It's almost pointless to leave the house with out the dog.
The concern of hunting without a dog or as you say, being between dogs is why I now have 2 dogs.
In Aug. 09, before the upland season started, I took my boy Kodi in because he seemed to be having problems with a back leg or hip.
The bad news came back with the xrays, he has hip dysplasia. If you saw his films from that day, you wonder how he stands.
I honestly thought he might not finish the 09-10 season but he did. He has hunted this whole season including my Wyoming Goldeneye hunt.
I started him on supplements and he does have some bad days but mostly they are still good.
I keep him in shape by walking and swimming and I believe that may be a big reason why he is still doing so well.
I believe he lives for what he does out in the field and I will not stop hunting him as long as he wants to go.
I will be working the new pup harder in the off season, in preparation for next season regardless.
Sorry, I'm rambling. Just got home from work, time to hit the rack.

Last edited:
I have a black lab who was an awesome companion in the field. She is on her way out sad to say. She still can get up and seems to be very happy to be alive. Gunner the chocolate lab filled her shoes nicely. Once my black lab Nita goes to the happy hunting fields in the sky I will again get another dog. I once had a chessie who was one of the smartest dogs I was ever around. Im leaning on a chessie for my next dog. Female. Great animals and my wife loved our chessie which makes it easier for her to accept another two dog house......I hope.

Jake:
Your pictures really make me wish the season was not over. Now can only dream of what next season will bring. Beautiful Pictures, D Dominski

Back