A new boat in the works pt. 3-on the water!

Cody Williams

I've been working as much as I can on getting this new boat in the water, things have really come together over the last week or so! I had a 4-day weekend last week that really let me get some work done. After I had the cockpit soles cut to fit, I attached them to the floor supports with a good bead of 5200 and plenty of stainless screws. Then they were filleted and taped to the hull sides and bottom, and the whole hull interior was given 2 thick coats of epoxy-
36134396632_7da62ff57d_b.jpg

35466838874_786dbbf7ee_b.jpg

I wanted as much drainage and access to the bilge as possible so I left 2 large cutouts in the floor, there are hatches that fit over them to allow access to the inside.

Next came a LOT of work of making all the custom shelves and fittings-2 battery shelves that go under the motor well, a shelf that runs along the starboard side of the cockpit, a fuel tank shelf for the front compartment, a cover/mount for the front LED light bar and navigation light, 2 floor hatches, a cubby that fits into the rear cockpit bulkhead, a box to hold the switch panel and bus bars, and a couple of other things I've forgotten about! They all got 2 coats of epoxy, along with the deck undersides. Also I made backer plates for the bow and 2 stern U-bolts out of 1/4" steel. No photos of this part-too busy working!

Then came "plumbing" all the floatation compartments that will be decked over with conduit for running electrical wires-I used PVC pipe. I then filled all the float compartments with 2" closed cell insulation foam, I figure if it's OK to be in contact with the ground in construction then it will be OK to act as floatation foam!

Port rear compartment with conduit and 4ga master battery cables, feeding from the battery to the master cutoff-
36134422252_1c3ff6a32b_b.jpg

Port and starboard side-you can also make out the twin battery boxes and their rubber strap hold-downs under the motor well-
35466880844_b33b7d8cd4_b.jpg

Front floatation compartment with plumbing for bow LED and nav lights, and fuel tank shelf in next compartment back-
36168390171_7e7f424c48_b.jpg

Then came fitting the decks and glassing them-again no photos, sorry! I planed down a 16' piece of Trex decking to 7/8" thick and used it to make the cockpit coamings and grass rails. I attached them to the decks again with 5200 and stainless screws, and then gave the decks 2 good coats of epoxy as well.

36168382211_cb02a23fbb_b.jpg

36301468695_f3c48d218c_b.jpg

The next day or two was a blur of sand, prime, sand, fill, sand, reprime, and paint.....not much to say about that other than that's when the real grunt work of building boats happens! Mounting the motor was an interesting operation-I operated the chain hoist and had my wife help me get everything lined up and put together.

36168422721_f99107ba35_b.jpg

I then spent nearly all the next day getting all the electrical work done-lots of running wire, soldering, heat shrink, and crimping. I have front and rear nav lights hardwired, a bow LED headlight, and interior cockpit LED's. Also the electrical panel has a voltmeter, 12V outlet, and USB charger. I will take a photo with everything lit up soon!

Today was the big day......I have a rule that every new boat launch is a solo endeavor. That way you can concentrate 100% on what's going on with the boat. I backed the trailer down the ramp slid her in the water, and was immediately pleased with how she sat, plenty of width to float all the heavy batteries, motor, fuel tank, etc. After firing up the motor, we were underway! I had to make a few quick stops to adjust the cavitation plate angle, finally I got it dialed in and we were up and running! I GPS'ed the full throttle speed with just me in the boat at 21mph. Later on my wife, kids and dog came and joined me-with all 4 of us in the boat+the dog we were getting about 18mph in deep water. Not bad for such a wide boat! I can't wait to see how she does with a full hunting load.....

35907348460_be059d4a62_b.jpg

That's all for now, I will post some more underway pictures when I get them. It was really satisfying to see a boat that started as a foam model and a hand-drawn plan come together!

Last edited:
Good morning, Cody~

Spectacular workmanship and vessel - congratulations!

I appreciate your practice of launching solo. It sure helps concentration if you only have to focus on the tasks at hand. And - when you are both designer and builder - there are always lots of nagging questions until she's afloat and under way. I imagine a whole lot of grinning was going on.....

I look forward to seeing all of your details as she gets ready for gunning.

All the best,

SJS

Cody, Nice job!! Love the detail work. All those details done now will pay off when you should be hunting not patching problems.

That is one of the best builds ever presented here, work like that is in a class by itself. The combination of it being your own beautiful and functional design, lots of custom add ons, an exceptionally clean and quick build, and fine finish. Wow!

Hope she gives you and your gals years of great service!

DUDE. Sweetness and congrats on getting her on the water.
As others have said the customization with shelves and other features is neat to see.

18mph with a good load like that is great! Remind us is that a 27hp backwater?
I am fully convinced putting longtails on these boats is the way to go if a guy is going to have to deal with any sort of mud or weeds.
I to had to make a few adjustments and added shim on the cavitation plate and since have been very happy.

Wow thanks guys! I appreciate all the kind words!

Tod-thanks so much! Your advice on the Snow Goose hull really influenced my design on this one.

Andrew-this is a Backwater 35 long shaft (they come in a 59" short shaft and a 72" long shaft)-it's a beast! Actually it's a bit easier to handle than I was anticipating but if you make a sharp turn in really shallow water it takes some force to keep the tiller under control. Normal cruising and running the shallows you can drive it pretty much hands-off, which is why Backwater is the most refined longtail out there in my opinion.

Phil-the beam is 60" on the bottom at the transom, and widens to 66" at the widepoint. She's a big bottom gal!

Last edited:
Congratulations on a fine build. Good timing on your launch, just enough time to be ready for the opening of duck season. Rich

Back