A nice day for a first!

DSC00569.jpg
A friend of mine and I who have hunted together since high school had a great morning. We did not shoot limits, or a nice bunch for that matter but, we had a first for the both of us. We hunted a known diver lake in our area usually being used by Ringers and Bills. About 7:40 this morning as the clouds were making their way over us, we had a nice BIG Can drop in on us. My bud had the first shot, missed and I took the second and a big splash ensued. My very FIRST Canvasback. In 12 years of duck hunting, I (we) have never had the opportunity to harvest a Can. A nice drake can with good color. I wrecked it up a bit so I don't think there can be a mount. To many of you, this may not sound like a big deal and the lot of you have probably shot Cans on a regular basis or at one time or another. For me, this was a great day and a first. If I didn't shoot a duck the rest of the day, it wouldn't have mattered one bit. When I started duck hunting when I was 14-15, now 26, my crown jewel has always been a drake Can. There is such a mystique about them for me and how rare they are in this area. It was as beautiful as I imagined and I was extremely proud to have harvested it. Its not just a duck to me, its an achievement. If you've never shot the duck you've been after, it'll come, sooner or later....for me, it took almost 12 years.
biggrin.gif

FYI, we shoot mostly puddle species in our area up until the push is on and we RARELY see Cans. I do not know how to post pics, if someone would post it for me, it would be cool, I'll just email it to you. We ended up with a goose, 2 Buffs and the Crown (Can).

Shawn, Nice can!! I also would sure like to get a bull someday. Savor these days, they can be over in a flash. My back trouble this fall is kind of a wake up call to enjoy every last hunt to the last bit. Again, nice can.

Wow, that is a big one. The only two bull can's I have shot were my first season...I didn't even know what they were. That was 13 or so years ago. Congrats!

Wat to go Shawn. This is my 42'd year and I've never shot a Canvasback! In my dad's hunting career he only shot 1....

Ed L.

Shawn,

Congrats on the Drake Can. Don't feel too bad about being 26 and hunting for twelve years before, just makes it more special.

I just turned 56 last Saturday and I didn't shoot my first Can until last season. Not to steal your thunder but her is a pic of the one I got. Happened on October 30th 2006 and I was hunting over Woodrow (last years traveling decoy).

webfirstCanvasback.jpg

Dave's got it right, I was ah over 50 too when the first can dropped. Enjoy it, cherish it, its quite a accomplishment. Jut do 1 thing, Don't over cook him. Split and let him swim in your favorite marinade, throw him on the barbie about 10 min per side, get him off and YUM.

Exaltation! That's the feeling you get on a first right after you pull the trigger and realize what you got. Not to be crass but there isn't a much better feeling you can have with your pants still on.

Congrats and thanks for sharing your high.

Congratulations Shawn, savor the moment, I was about your age when I shot my one and only Can. Thats 39 years ago. I should be due again pretty soon. I say that every year.

I got three memories of Cans.

One where being in a marsh in the evening in early November. They buzzed by me,when I was looking the other way. They made four or five passes just out of range. I will never forget the sound of the wings. The size of the birds. The color in the evening light.

At a later time about you age and hearing stories from my uncle about shooting Cans on a unnamed lake in Northern wis. I bought some Can decoys which I still have today. After season sale $1.20 a piece. I strung them out on two long lines. I am use to counting my decoys a habit from the days when I couldn't afford many and used old spark plugs and nuts for anchors. The decoys lines were in a large V with Blue Bills on single lines closer to me. The decoys on the long lines were all facing the same way and as I counted them I came up with two extra. As I recounted them a Can swum from one line to the other and lined himself with the decoys. I rose to shoot but not wishing to blast my decoys... I shouted an as they flew I got my one and only Can.

Ten years later I was hunting with my uncle in a blind on a point of land. My uncle had to go to the bathroom about 10:eek:o in the morning. We had place set up about 75 feet behind the blind. His words before he left were to the effect take care of them while I'm gone. Which was kind of funny because not much was flying. About five minutes later a lone duck buzzed the decoys made a large circle and decided to drop in. I realized it was a large drake Can. Just before it hit the water about 20 ft away I fired. Shot right over him. Next shot was too quick missed. The Can decided to leave Dodge I had him in my sights, Click gun jammed. The next I know I heard the voice ten feet behind me say " Do you know what that was!, do you know what that was! That was a Can! How the hell could you missed! You don't see those every day!" It was a stinging rebuke from the president of our duck club. Delivered by a man who rarely missed. My mentor. The man who gave me some cast off decoys when I was an young aspiring duck hunter. What could I say? Like a dog with his tail between his legs- silence prevailed. The next weekend with a gleam in his eyes after the early morning flight. He said " you know that Can you scared the hell out of, he tastes pretty good. Then the stories began of how and where and when. In the early morning light before the sun comes up, I miss that President.

Any day.Any age.Any season.Everyone would be thrilled to take a bull Can It would make my season to get a chance at one.Congratulations.

Guys, thanks for sharing your stories! They are all memorable. Kudos to all of you who share in my extreme gratification. I still feel like it was 5 minutes ago! My next to take down is a full bull sprig.....more common around here later in the season but nonetheless difficult to get....

Back