A very fickle river

Al Hansen

When you duck hunt the Rio Grande, many factors must be put into place and then you begin double checking your list.

A. Is there enough water for my decoys
B. Is there too much water today
C. Did it rain in the northern part of the state last night
D. Did I forget where the "no bottom" area was

These are just some thoughts.

On July 26th it rained heavily in the northern part of the state. Where I hunt ducks, the Rio Grande was flowing at a rate of 40 cubic feet per second. I can guarantee you that amount won't float a decoy.
Within 3 hours the Rio Grande was flowing at the rate of over 3,000 cubic feet per second.
Bev and I drove to the rio and took this picture when it was flowing at a rate of 2,000 cubic feet per second. Need I say that if you hunt it, you should be aware of your surroundings?

_MG_8785_zpsdfaaa7d6.jpg
[/URL]

Life is good, however. We got another rain this morning and some of the old timers are saying it is beginning to look like the "old days around here".

The hummers are here and I love it.

Here is a black-chinned male hummer with a deformed beak.

_MG_9037_zps49af5ae8.jpg
[/URL]

This is a juvenile male rufous. The NO FEAR variety!

_MG_9008_zps22a73a29.jpg
[/URL]

_MG_8972_zps7732bc54.jpg
[/URL]

And-----I just had to put in a picture of Chico. Habi's pups are almost 5 weeks old and definitely into the cute stage.
Al

_MG_0008_zps32bb2123.jpg
[/URL]

Great to see the water flowing Al. Just keep praying for more rain. Down south it's greened up nicely. Threat everyday of thunderstorm so far!

Great to see the water flowing Al. Just keep praying for more rain. Down south it's greened up nicely. Threat everyday of thunderstorm so far!

I know my work is being cut out for me now. With the ground nice and wet, that green that I am seeing looks to be weeds! Need to stay one step ahead of them for sure.
The Rio is now flowing at 399 cfs, which is good because now the duck food will have a chance to grow. It is good to see.
Al

It's great to see that happy days are here again, Al ... Just hope it continues into November.

Well, Steve, if I had to pray for rain it would be just before teal season opens and then hope that it would last for 9 days. Normally the water evaporates before the season is over. However, having a few days to hunt is better than none. Then when the main season begins, I will have to hunt the low flow ditches in October and that is only for 9 days because it should open on the 23rd---if the rio is dry again. Come November 1st all irrigation is turned off and it will flow once again.
Al

Thanks a lot, Todd. It is amazing that in Arizona and New Mexico, the highway dept. has to put up signs that will say,
"Don't drive if there is water in the arroyo". The scary thing about it is that people don't heed the warning. Then unfortunately some rescue squad must put their lives in jeopardy.
Al

Back