Ammo

Mark W said:
I am pretty sure I have complained about the lack of ammo in my area. Got to a store 15 minutes after opening that just got in a shipment of 500 boxes of .22LR. They were gone by the time I arrived. Their boxes of 9mm FMJ that cost me $12 (on sale) was now $45. They had a few hundred boxes and sold out in the time I was there browsing.

Got lucky yesterday and happened to be at Fleet Farm when they brought out some new Fast Stell shells. Was able to grab 3 boxes before they were gone.

I have heard many reasons for the zero inventory of shells and bullets but not quite believing them. Who can explain why ammo is in such short supply. And back it up with facts?

I recall the last time this happened it took over 3 years to reliably find ammo.

Mark

This is a better explaination than we talked about recently but backs up what I was told my a company manager.

Ammo Shortage of 2021: Federal's CEO Explains Why - 19FortyFive

I am with Richard on all this gun grabbing by politicians. If someone is crazy enough to want to do a mass shooting, already committing numerous life felonies like first degree murder, these new laws are going to do nothing to stop them. Yet they will greatly effect the legal gun owners who are the vast majority. The bottom line is this administration wants your guns. We have the most anti gun president we have ever had. Just look back at his long, long record. If we do not fight every thing he tries to do he will win too. This is just the start of a long battle. We give a inch and he takes a mile. The second amendment means nothing to them either. They make the law, or so they think.

I recently purchased two 1959 Browning Superposed in 12gauge; one gun in 95% condition and one gun that required a complete slow rust blue application, as well as stripping what remained of the finish on the stock and forearm and several soaks in an acetone bath to pull the oil and grime out of the forearm and stock. I sent the receiver to Art Isaacson's for a reblue and mechanical inspection where he replace some of the parts on the locking lever and replaced the firing pins, per my request. The shipment to Missouri, as well as the return trip were problem free. The long distance transaction to purchase cost me $5 for each bank check and the user fee for the receiving FFL ship-to location. It took me all of seven minutes to fill out the paperwork and walk out the door with my guns. I hunt both waterfowl and upland game as well as whitetail deer. I keep trying to figure out what the fascination is with ownership and use of assault rifles, maximum capacity magazines, flash suppressors, armor piercing rounds, hollow point rounds, etc., maybe I am the wrong kind of "sportsman". Did I mention I don't own any tactical gear, flak vest festooned with patriotic logos, or military headgear? I also don't conflate patriotism with demand opposition of my government. Never strolled out to someone else's gravel pit either to just shoot to shoot-off.a few hundred rounds to feel good.

I bought a new to me Toyota Tundra about a month ago. The paperwork to purchase the vehicle, change the plates and insurance over to the new(er) truck, as well as complete the transaction involved far more of my time and required a greater length effort to complete.

Both of these purchases involved buying an item that requires both background knowledge to safely operate each of these objects, as well as a commitment to maintaining a level of personnel responsibility in operation that does not imperil my neighbors and is in full compliance with all the laws of my State and Nation. How do they differ? The guns have only one purpose- putting holes in something when fired...

Do you find it odd that every time we have a Democrat as president there is a sudden uptick in verbiage directed at politicians involved in gun grabbing ....with zero or very limited substance in fact or action over the last four Democratic administrations. Could there be a lesson in this evidence? Speaking of evidence, the extent of planning of the events of January 6th does provide testament and witness to what a cohort of "Amaricans" are capable of, as well as how close to an armed confrontation we were. Hunter Thompson was right, 'when the going gets weird, the weird turn Pro."

NRA's Wayne LaPierre sought refuge from mass shootings on a friend's luxury yacht (nbcnews.com)

How odd Mr Lapierre failed to practice what he advocates for his membership to achieve personal protection. Could it be that he knows full well it doesn't actually work?

The supply chain in most manufactured goods is completely out of kilter due to the disruptions from last spring. It is world wide, it's manifesting itself across all lines of business, it includes onshore and offshore sources. You had production just stop in many industries on many levels for varying time periods last year. You had an increase in demand at the same time which has continued. For ammunition, I think, due to two main things:

People that like to shoot had idle time on their hands and money in their pockets, and it could be done outside, where you didn't have any health threat
Gun sales are up substantially, and 50% of the buyers are first time gun owners that need ammunition for the product that they bought to be used.

And then that causes a third, fear of not being able to get it sparks increased demand again, when supply is already stressed.

This won't alleviate itself until supply exceeds demand for a while so inventory can be built. Filling the pipeline takes a lot of inventory, and the pipeline is empty right now, and that is excluding demand (actual usage) for the product. It's going to be a while before it gets back in sync. Like lumber. But at least we have toilet paper!

J. Overland said:
I was genuinely concerned I would not be able to get enough of the ammo I wanted for the upcoming season. I checked all of the online sites several times a day and finally got what I wanted after a few months. Of course the site that finally had what I wanted won't ship to me in NY so I had to have it shipped to a friend out of state. Bud's and Rogers will both ship to me in NY but they have not had anything I want in quite a while. I think we will be seeing an ammo shortage for quite a long time to come.
I had Boss ship to my house in NY two months ago with no problems. Maybe give them a try.

Speaking of lumber, I would hate to be building a house right now. Or trying to buy an existing one.
Supply has outstripped demand for both and prices are way way up.
We are seriously considering selling our rental property in Alabama before this bubble bursts. It took 10 years to get our value back after the last bubble popped and now its increased 20% just this year.
Not sustainable.

Paul Mc said:
J. Overland said:
I was genuinely concerned I would not be able to get enough of the ammo I wanted for the upcoming season. I checked all of the online sites several times a day and finally got what I wanted after a few months. Of course the site that finally had what I wanted won't ship to me in NY so I had to have it shipped to a friend out of state. Bud's and Rogers will both ship to me in NY but they have not had anything I want in quite a while. I think we will be seeing an ammo shortage for quite a long time to come.
I had Boss ship to my house in NY two months ago with no problems. Maybe give them a try.

That's good to know about Boss. I've been curious about Boss shells but hesitant to change from what has always worked for me. Looking at the site just now, it's good you got them when you did. Looks like everything in 12ga is sold out.

Carl,

We are thinking of selling as well. Prices have gone crazy in Coastal Delaware. We would still have to deal with same market forces looking at other properties.

Rick

The only reason we are thinking of selling is because its rental property.
Our rental management company is also in sales, they are practically begging us to put it on the market, they have no affordable inventory and clients lined up to buy.

We could sell our house in Tampa at a big profit after just 2 years but then we couldn't find anything even close to affordable in the same area we want to live.
There is nothing on the market here for less that twice what we paid other than tear-down/re-builds. Tear down houses are going for $350K plus just to get the land.

I get to stores in a 3 state area pretty regularly, so I check ammo inventories while there. Steel waterfowl loads never sold out at a number of stores. The big stores are getting ammo in regularly. It sells out fast but prices are pretty close to pre-pandemocratic prices. 100 packs of 12 or 20 gauge for $22-25, Gun Clubs $8/box of 25, 12 and 20 gauge steel and lead target or game loads $5.50-7/box of 25, 9 mm fmj $12/box of 50, 325 and 333 packs of .22 for $18-19, 100 packs of 22 for $6, .243 .270 6.5 .308 3006 $18-22/box of 20, rifled slugs for $13/box of 15, 5 packs of rifled slugs for $6/box, 150 pack of 5.56 62 gr for $90. One local gun shop had .380, 9 mm, 40, 45, 38, 357, 223, 5.56 all for $25/50 pack. I am not finding price gouging at big box stores and farm stores. Local prices are much more reasonable than online prices. However even with 2 or 3 box limits ammo sells out quick.

My state makes up 4% of the US population but the residents bought 19% of the guns sold in 2020. 12.7 million IL residents purchased 8.4 million guns in 13 months Starting January 1, 2020 thru January 31, 2021. It takes a lot of ammo to feed all those new gun purchases.

Last edited:
J. Overland said:
Paul Mc said:
J. Overland said:

That's good to know about Boss. I've been curious about Boss shells but hesitant to change from what has always worked for me. Looking at the site just now, it's good you got them when you did. Looks like everything in 12ga is sold out.

I shot Boss exclusively this season out of my 20 gauge, performed great for me. I need to order more for next season and they have a one month lead time on case orders by the looks of it.

J. Overland said:
Paul Mc said:
J. Overland said:

Full disclosure, I ordered 410's LOL......

I have found some ammo at Wal Mart a few times over the last 3 weeks. It's the same guys morning after morning that are standing in line buying everything they can. They now have a 3 box limit or you would still have empty shelves. I think they are re-selling the stuff on the internet. I purchased 3 - 100 count boxes of CCI Mini Mag .22 hollow points. They were $7.99 a box. I saw Roger's is selling the same ones for $24.99. A total rip. I definity believe a lot of this is due to hoarding. I know quite a few guys with over 50k rounds of ammo. They still are buying it. Rogers had some Kent Fast Steel two weeks ago and it was all gone in a day. Wish I would have purchased some, just to have additional stock. Cabelas by me, has no ammo in it at all. Shelves were empty. Didn't even have much for guns. I feel bad for the little gun shops. They can't get any inventory. It seems the big block stores get first pick at ammo.

Carl,

i'm building in Mississippi on the beach right now. Its absolutely awful. Can't even get materials, and that after you agree to pay 3x what they used to cost.

Is your rental company Meyer? Where is the house? I was down there last week, no one can get people to do hurricane rebuilding, because new construction is so backed up.

We use a small company in Daphne to manage our property, the house is located in Loxley. Way inland. We had roof damage during Sally. Luckily got a good contractor who knocked it out quick.
I've been in the coastal zone management business since 1997, that and hurricanes taught me long ago that any house/condo on the beach should be considered expendable and not an investment unless you are going to do short term flips.
Heard way to many horror stories of people losing their life savings in destroyed condos & beach houses.

In the reelfoot lake discussion, a link had been posted about that incident to an article in Outdoor Life, and at the bottom of that page, there was a link to a story about the shortage of ammunition. This may shed some light on that subject:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/guns/is-military-really-buying-civilian-ammo/

Back