anchor weight mold

Capt Rich Geminski

Looking to find a mushroom mold. Looks to be about 12oz. The bottom is round and the top is concave like a mooring anchor. Looks like it was poured from the bottom.
Want these for some teal decoys. Just like the looks and holding power. Anyone see these around or where to buy them?

http://www.hiltsmolds.com/DecoyAnchorMolds.htm

Rich,
I use the 12 oz from the Hilts mushroom mold for goose and super magnum G&H duck. It sounds a lot like what you describe as it is round on bottom. However, it is flat across the top of the "mushroom head" and is poured from the top. You must have some real currents- I just use 1 oz bank anchors on my teal....

Last edited:
How many do you need I think I have a bunch in my lead bucket soon to be remolded. I can't stand that style I prefer H weight

Capt,
Look up Caz Russell in PA. I think the anchor you are describing is a Mason style (might have that wrong?). Caz may be able to help you find a mold or may have some. If you cant find him, send me a PM and I will give you his contact info. Thanks, Tom

Found enough weights locally, but would still like the mold. Want to try to target some teal in the early season. Will text Caz...
Going to sell all my sinker molds in classifieds.

Last time I made up some South Shore style "mushroom" anchors I just used a ladle for the mold. pour or dip a ladle with as much or little lead as you want, hold the bail in the lead with a pliers and let it set a few seconds.
If I recall right , about 3/4 of a ladle was about 10 - 12 oz.

I never had a cork Black duck stool move with one of those, probably overkill for teal decoys.

I have for years used a cast muffin pan with scrap copper wire for hooks embedded in the lead and fill according to the weight I'm looking for.
Tom

I have for years used a cast muffin pan with scrap copper wire for hooks embedded in the lead and fill according to the weight I'm looking for.
Tom

--------------------

same here

Tom

--------------------

same here

Picked one up last fall at a flea market. I'm going to try that myself.

Similarly, I have made lots of little 3 and 4oz "mushroom" weights using a few inches of 12 or 14 ga. bare copper wire resting in the bottom of an aluminum soda(beer) can. It's the underside of the can, just turn it over and look at the bottom, it is slightly concaved with a low rim - a perfect mold. Make as many weights in one pour as you have empties, and molten lead in your smelting pot.

Back