Anybody use flags for divers?

quane

I have seen flags used for Canada/Snow geese - but what about divers or Brant?
Do any of you have any recommendations for flag size/color - and how do you use them?
I've seen Doctari has them for sale, but haven't heard much about flag use with divers.
I imagine a Jolly Roger flag would work for Brant, but who knows...
Any help would be appreciated.
Dave

Absolutely.........use a flag on divers as well as a call.
If the birds are a long ways away, we'll sit up.....lay down.......sit up........lay down. That has the same effect as flagging. When the birds are closer, we either use a flag.......big paddle.....or our hats. Once they are committed..........don't move.
The flag & paddle are black. The paddle is about 12" x 18". The flat is about 8" x 16"........or so, and black as well.

Lou

Last edited:
Used a jolly roger black handkerchief attached to an old busted fish pole last couple of years. When it works, it works great. When they are in the ignore mode, nothing seems to work.

Absolutly use one. I never go out without it. I use a flag that is half black, half white. I was gonna use just a black flag but stumbled across this and works better for me than any mojo.

Dave,

Why would you ask? There aren't any divers or brant in NJ! Make sure you tell everbody you meet, no divers or brant in NJ!

But about the flag, if you insist on trying to hunt nonexistent birds, yes they work well. My 4 year old is the flagman and they still come in. It works well to pull them from a distance or get their attention if they swing past and don't pitch. I've been using a black and white snow goose flag. On brant I use it the same a a field flag, up,down... For ducks I'll raise it up high to get their attention and then just flip it above the edge of the blind to keep them on track.

Best wishes,
Gene

Of course Gene Jr., this was a hypothetical/academic question! I was thinking of traveling to some far away state to hunt these birds, and would feel dumb if I showed up flappin a flag.....
Dave

I have used a 2 in, 36" dowel with two hankerchiefs tied off...I drill a 1/2" hole into three places...The first an inch from the top, second 8 to 10 inches down...The last is tied about 3 inches from the second one...The top two hole I placed the black hank through and tied a knot so that it won't slide out. The second hole is done in the same manner. The last whole I cut the white in half and tie a knot the same way through the dowel...I believe the flag is very productive when birds are moving aggressively around the lake or just sight seeing...The only negative side is if the flag gets two wet from laying on the bow of the layout....My hunting parnter thinks it is a wash, but I believe in them...

Back