Anyone have advice/experience hunting Lake Champlain ?

That will work great south of the bridge and in more sheltered areas- you have to be very careful on the broad lake with a flat bottom boat. I hunted Champlain extensively north and south of the (old) bridge from 1986-2003. I 've been a couple of times in the past three years as well. It can get as snotty as an body of water around. When the wind comes up big, you need to be ready to run for home.

They can be spectacular. The classic Champlain hunt is for whistlers from the rocky shore. There are also good numbers of puddle ducks, canadas and snows. The snows tend to stay around the refuge in Addison, just east of the lake.

I have never hunted the New York side, only VT. VT is tough with a west wind.

ALAN i have been hunting the lake for 50 years now and would say you should be OK if you choose your days and locations. Things like running out to Four Brothers I would not be trying with a flat bottomed boat. But the is still plenty of gunning to be had with that set up. Good luck

Alan

I have hunted the Lake many times also. You should be okay but ! like the others have told you. It can turn nasty really quick. Even if the shooting is great! get out of there if it starts to get ruff. Been there done that. Not fun at all.

Bomber said:
ALAN i have been hunting the lake for 50 years now and would say you should be OK if you choose your days and locations. Things like running out to Four Brothers I would not be trying with a flat bottomed boat. But the is still plenty of gunning to be had with that set up. Good luck

Bomber- are you Mr. Bombardier? Met you a few times over the years way back when.

Back