ATTN: WickerT

Tom, you may remember a few years back, you and I met up at a local launch and you were testing out your new diver rig. I was wondering if you could give me a few pointers to mimmick your set-up. My old one has seen better days and I am under budget for the year and am ready for a new chain gang.

Last edited:
Shawn, I have to tell you that I have never hunted that rig but I have set and pulled it a few times. A short dropper of Tanglefree line with a big clip (can't think of the correct term right now). The mainline I use is just solid braid nylon rope with a good splotch of black paint to break up the white. The spool is one I made out of 6" PVC and plywood. I used a long carriage bolt that fits in an oarlock to pay out. Weights again are a budget item- free weights found at garage sales. Maybe you have followed my rough Fall with back trouble and losing Walker but things are looking up!!!!!! Back is better, venison in the freezer and the big news is an unnamed yellow male sleeping at my feet. Just picked him up Thurs so I don't even have a good picture to post but will get one up soon. And need to do some tributes too. Life is good today!!!!!

I've been keeping tabs Tom you can be sure of that. I know about Walker and I hope the healing process is on the right track, its tough losing a family member. Info recieved and noted on the rig, if you have have any other info on your rig, I'd be glad to hear it. I hope the end of your season finds you better than the beginning. Shawn

congratulations on the new dog Tom. Glad things are looking up. Venison in the freezer thats good. Our rifle season starts on Sat. Carol is pumped she has seen a buck the last two days. The first one a hundred yards from the house. The second one about two hundred. Her stand is right in between where she saw the bucks. I haven't quite gotten in to the spirit yet. I'm still duck hunting. My partner Mark got a goose today,just before we started to pick up. One more go around on that tomorrow. Mark is going to burn a vacation day.

A big flock of Blue Bills can though today. Haven't seen any for a while. We had mostly Mallards set out because thats what we had been seeing. Would you know it no Mallards and the dreaded South wind.

Many years we have had to break ice to get to the blind at this time of the year.

I am going to set out some long lines tomorrow. Your idea of pbc pipe with plywood and a carriage bolt in the oar lock is just what I was looking for. I have some eight inch lying around and lots of scrape plywood. Right now I am using a electric cord spool for one line and the bottom of the boat for the other. The bottom of the boat works better than the spool but that limits you to one line.

I guess I need a bigger boat. I ended up with two Nineteen footers, one I am going to convert in to a duck boat. Take the motor from the other one and have a real duck killing machine. Especially for the late part of the year when the wind kicks up and the water gets cold. The motor is a fifty horse evinrude I have been working on it. No spark so far, did continuity checks ,cleaned the points and regaped them. The coil does not seem to be putting out enough.I have not had time to do any more. I will get it going. I like free boats and motors. Any money I spend on them I am still thousands of dollars ahead. Plus half of this duck hunting is getting things ready.

Back