Balsa decoys...

No gesso, not even sure what it is or does........ 2 coats of GAC 700, base coat of solid color, then paint.

Vince - I agree. Love them and, totally appreciate the men who built them, what they stood for and, what they left us. Stay tuned my friend. More to come on Ralph Reghi... Pat

Pat,

Speaking of Ralph Reghi when I was growing up on Liberty In ST Clair Shores Michigan
Ralph Reghi lived down at the end of my street on lake st clair. I recently purchased a
21ft Pecor Fox sneak boat with 50 Ralph Reghi decoys in it. Reghi, Ralph Johnson,
Pecor fox, Kelson carved the same style balsa decoy. They really ride the water nice
when hunting over them. Thanks for starting this thread. Your balsa Can's look great.

Tom

Pat,

Speaking of Ralph Reghi when I was growing up on Liberty In ST Clair Shores Michigan
Ralph Reghi lived down at the end of my street on lake st clair. I recently purchased a
21ft Pecor Fox sneak boat with 50 Ralph Reghi decoys in it. Reghi, Ralph Johnson,
Pecor fox, Kelson carved the same style balsa decoy. They really ride the water nice
when hunting over them. Thanks for starting this thread. Your balsa Can's look great.

Tom

There's an "old codger" who comes into my shop on a regular basis and he's a joy to jaw with. His name is Butch Czenkus. He used to carve, build boats and hunt with Pecor Fox. He also hunted, carved and fished with Jim Kelson. I recently picked up a gun that was owned by Jim Kelson. It's no longer shootable but it's the one he used to use back in the 40's.
I had always wanted to get over to see Pecor but didn't know where he lived. After his death, I found out that his house was on my street and only a tenth of a mile from my shop..........doh.
Lou

So, who has a source of quality dense balsa for decoy body carving? I have a commitment to make another dozen tan corks, but would like to try some balsa birds after that.

just do a google search for balsa wood distributors-should be one around chicago
You can contact solarbo, in florida.
Sikorski and Sands may have some others on hand, also, BUT you have to be specific when the dealers put stuff together for you--Request-demand-only medium weight-The light is a bit too dent-prone, and the heavy is hard.

Always check the lamination of Balsa. Most are well glued, but if not, it's not a problem if you have to reglue. The last I bought was at Westlake. The dealer had a truck load full... I should have bought more. The soft grade works well with a bottom board, and a good coat of West System. It toughens the balsa so it can take abuse, and years of service.

Lou,
I would like to meet Butch if you could arrange it. That had to be really neat to hold
Kelsons gun. I have a good friend Mark Morris who's brother is married to Pecor
Fox's daughter. She put together a Tribute book dedicated to her father. It is
hard covered and very well done. She only made 9 copies and gave me one.
I was very honored.

Pat,
I have some pictures of the 21ft Pecor Fox sneak boat with the Reghi decoys
they were taken with a throw away camera out of my hunting box. I can have
some copies made and mail them to you if you would like.

Tom

last I looked there where only a few places and prices had gone up, I don't have my old computer up with bookmarks, national balsa, lone star and specialized balsa come to mind. Again last time I looked solarbo didn't have anything but you could check. National is where we got it from, again Sikorski's stuff was good and even though I asked for all medium grade I did not get it, I got a bit of everything glued together. I would probably recommend buying the sticks and glueing it yourself if you have the resources. As GW said Dense Balsa is HARD, and soft is too dent prone, you don't want either, you want medium weight,

Hi Tom,
I never know when Butch is coming in though it's been sporadic during this winter. He lives off North River Road not far from where Garwoods Restaurant was. He will be stopping in more often as soon as the weather breaks. I'm doing up a couple decoy lamps for him and just need to find some lamp parts now. I used to get lamp parts from Thomas Hardware but don't know if they're around any more. I'll have to make a run over to Mack, south of Moross and check.
You coming to the Strongsville Show? Hope to see you there.
Later partner,
Lou

Lou,
I would like to meet Butch if you could arrange it. That had to be really neat to hold
I was very honored.

Some great tips from you guys on balsa decoys. I carved one years ago. All I remember about it was that it was a major pain to carve with edged tools and I had to be extra careful during the process as it dented so easily. Don't even remember what kind of bird it was.....seems like Bufflehead drake.

Tom,
Probably wasn't clear before...yes, I will be sure to arrange for you to meet Butch. I would also love to get a gander at that Tribute Book someday as well. That sounds like a "book of a lifetime". Very cool. Do you know if she has any of those books for sale?
See you soon,
Lou

Lou,
I was very honored.

Good afternoon,
I sent you an email inquiring about a decoy. I believe I contacted you last year about one of the canvasbacks displayed in the photo. Please let me know what the process is to commission one.
Thank you,
Tom

Back