Bamboo push pole

Yes, bamboo was very popular to use as screening from 50,s to early 70,s in my area. Stuff spreads like wildfire and almost impossible to kill. Spreads by runners similar to Phrags. Not hard to find patches that home owners are tickled for you to cut it. Have used it in past to mark different areas on my local river but had never known about this curing process. Uncured it will surely break and you,ll have your own pungee stake!

tod osier said:
How is the flex of the bamboo? Does it take a good bend when you push?

I don't fill the individual cells with spray foam, just a dab of silicone over each drill hole to keep any water out.

The push poles I made are super light, real strong and will bend a little but not too badly. They seem to hold their shape better and don't warp like my old closet rod poles. They would bend like a limp noodle the older that got and warp as well. Closet rod will snap if accidentally caught on cane or sawgrass driving a mud boat through the marsh. I've done it and thankfully it never speared anyone when it snapped, after that I was done' with closet rod..

P Taylor said:
Your bamboo pole looks great!!!

This is our second season on the push poles I made last year. We love them!

Thanks, it?s a neat process. I went a little hot on some smaller poles. Charred them a little. Too hot. Broke them easily. It?s a fine line between too much and just right

P Taylor said:
I cook mine over a turkey fryer burner keeping them moving as they heat. I wonder if wood coals are too hot?

Probably not to hit, more operators errors on my part. I was doing some at night and not paying as good attention as I should.

Back