Barn Find (Pics)

Eric, I do recall seeing street lamps that looked like that eons ago. Might look rather spiffy over the door to your shop.

Eric,

I've seen street light fixtures that had a similar shaped and fluted shade. The mounting bracket seem unique in that It appears to be for attaching to a support cable, rather than directly mounted to a pole or fixed structure.

Looks like something a bored farmer put together with parts from the scrap iron pile.
Disc blade and spacer.
I'm not sure what's on top.

Looks light a street light from the 1950's, (or earlier) when streets were "paved" with bricks, and had a crown down the center.

There were also many of them in mills, and factories of all kinds.

They had many different kinds of attachments.

Street lights were targets for rock throwing youngsters, before the curfew siren blew every night.

Appears to be enameled on the underside, but not certain.

my 2 cents

VP

The shade is stamped Sheetmetal. The rest is cast except for some ceramic. It is heavy duty. No exposed wires but I bet rewiring is no big deal. I've not seen one with a wavy shade before that I can remember.

Eric

The shade was designed to dissipate and refract the light from the bulb, and it did work to a degree.

All the street lights, and the lights in the mills and factories had those shades in western PA.

Ya gotta be a Geezer to remember em.

If ya look, ya can see them in old movies.

Dave nailed it. Your link took me to a drawing that shows those pieces on the side are where current passes in and out of the lamp, and your original guess it hangs from a cable is spot on too. Appreciate the help. If the owner will make a good deal I might have a new shop light. Not sure where it will go yet...

Eric

I just texted the owner. It's not for sale. He said it has family history. He's cleaning out his barns of a lot of old crap and lumber. I thought I could fix it up for my workshop but I guess not. At least I learned a little about them reading the links Dave posted, like how to rewire them for 110 instead of high voltage. I'll keep an eye out for another one in the future.

Eric

Eric Patterson said:
Dave nailed it. Your link took me to a drawing that shows those pieces on the side are where current passes in and out of the lamp, and your original guess it hangs from a cable is spot on too. Appreciate the help. If the owner will make a good deal I might have a new shop light. Not sure where it will go yet...

Eric

Even a blind squirrel.......

Mark W said:
Eric Patterson said:

Eric

Even a blind squirrel.......

Mark,
I also heard it said that a blind pig can find a truffle,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so what's your point??????? [w00t] [whistle]

Back