BB3 - update and lessons learned (Pics)

Kevin T

I last posted progress pics on my BB3 build in July...I was just getting ready to flip the boat:

View attachment 101_0396.JPG

Flip complete, ready to pull wires...

View attachment 101_0404.JPG

It's at about this time I realized that using that old roll of aluminum fencing wire to wire the stitches into my new boat was a really stupid idea. I saved five bucks but created about three hundred little headaches (doh!) Aluminum wire lacks ductile strength and breaks easily once it's bent into shape. It also has a very low melting point. When I started pulling wires I realized my mistake. Every one of those three hundred stitches went something like this..."Please don't break...please don't break...please don't break...d#$n!"

View attachment 101_0402.JPG

I used a battery charger hooked up to a locking plier and eventually got all of them out. Lesson learned.

This is how the boat looks now. Hull is painted, floor is installed and I've been fairing the interior. Peel ply has been VERY HELPFUL - another lesson learned. It can even be reused on small touch ups if you're careful. Bought a trailer last week and fit the trailer to the boat - perfect fit.

View attachment Picture 002.jpg

Other pics:

View attachment Picture 003.jpg

Still have a lot of sanding to do and will wire/plumb electrical and fuel lines this week. October is just around the corner gents. Time to get these projects moving! Stay tuned...

Last edited:
Kevin she looks really good. I like how clean the work is.

Keep in mind the next few steps go slow don't get frustrated. electrical, plumbing, hardware and foam all talk longer then you would think. I remember when I flipped mine over I thought I was almost done. Turns out I wasn't.

Ill have to post some of the new boat project in the next few days. Its moving along.

Kevin, Nice work and welcome to the school of hard knocks. I am very interested to se how yours works out without the motor well. Keep us posted and if you need some one to help supervise give me a call or PM if you don't have my phone #.

Kevin,

I have not been on here in a few months. Nice to see someone has a build going.
Your boat is looking good.
I have been thinking about a BBIII with the same transom as you did.
I will be watching to see how it is coming along and how you like the full transom.
Keep the photos coming
Have fun on the rest of the build

Kevin,
I did not notice the transom change. I remember talking to Sam about that idea and he said it performs really well that way. Are you planning to put a splash well in? That is one thing I wish my BBIII had.

Brandon:

Yes I'm planning on a splash well. I spoke with several different people, including the folks at Devlin and none of them had any reservations about modifying the original plans. After reading about the trouble some people had regarding the original design and thinking about the advantages of a more conventional approach I decided to try it. I should know if I made a mistake by October...I'll keep you posted.

Kevin

Back