BBIII "Almost"ready to paint PICS

charlie foulds

I went to work on the decks again today (day 3)

DSCN0087.jpg

DSCN0088.jpg

One more thin coat of epoxy and a light sand and paint!!!

DSCN0094.jpg

DSCN0083.jpg

DSCN0090.jpg

Charlie,what are your thoughts on wiring the boat? What concerns do you have,maybe I can help. Let me know Brian Rippelmeyer

Brian, I have a 6 switch board and this is what I want to hook up ...5 LED strip lights-2 on each side and 1 in the bow, 2 cigarette lighter adapter things-1 in the bow and 1 in my switch panel, GPS, navigation lights. I will be putting the battery up front,either in the bow or in front of the storage bulkhead. I have PVC under the floor 1side for my fuel line and 1 side for my battery cable to the motor. I dont even know what a bus bar is let alone how it works. I am going to do some research and give it a shot. That is, unless your going to be in NYC in the next few weeks :) :)

Hey - looks good Charlie! glad to see your back at it. should b ready for fall hunts for sure.

Brian, I have a 6 switch board and this is what I want to hook up ...5 LED strip lights-2 on each side and 1 in the bow, 2 cigarette lighter adapter things-1 in the bow and 1 in my switch panel, GPS, navigation lights. I will be putting the battery up front,either in the bow or in front of the storage bulkhead. I have PVC under the floor 1side for my fuel line and 1 side for my battery cable to the motor. I dont even know what a bus bar is let alone how it works. I am going to do some research and give it a shot. That is, unless your going to be in NYC in the next few weeks :) :)

Charlie,

Wiring a boat is fun. You will need to use crimp connectors for your panel, so I would use them throughout for splices and connectors as well. With crimp connectors you don't have to solder, use shrink tubing with adhesive for any that might get wet, the shrink tubing can come on the connector or you can buy it separate. The bus bar is used to collect up all your negative wires and goes to the negative on the battery (depending on how you wire, you may need a positive bus as well). You need a cutoff switch to break the positive line. You need to know the draw of all the circuits on the boat and then you calculate the wire size you need for each. A catalog like West Marine has the chart to look up the wire size, wire size depends on length of run and max amp drawn. Your wire from battery to panel, negative bus, and to and from motor will be fatties and expensive. Wire color in marine wiring is weird, you can look up a chart on the web or go as simple as black and red. Use tinned marine wire. It is pricey, but don't skimp on stuff like cigarette lighter quality.

Very satisfying project when done.

Get a book like 12 volt bible if you need more info.

T

Last edited:
Ted hit it on the head. Use crimp connectors that are for marine use. They have sealer inside of shrink wrap that keeps your connections dry. This in very important if you are anywhere near salt water. The corrosion will creep up the wire (true on the trailer also) and ruin it. The best advice I can give you is to figure out what you want on your boat: lights, cigarette lighter (to charge your cell phone or plug in a spot light) horn, mooring light, fish finder etc. Then draw it out on paper first. You will use more wire than you imagined.

Dave

Send me a private message with all the things you want wired in your boat. I will draw you an easy to follow diagram. If you get a chance, look up basic wiring on the 'net. It's easier than you think.

Send me your mailing address and I will send it to you. How soon do you need it?
Dave

Back