Beau's first hunt

Darin Clark

I finally got time to get out and do a little hunting and took Beau for his first hunt. Of course the weather would have to be blue skies and no wind. After driving around trying to decide were to hunt, figuring everywhere was going to be lousy, I decided on a blind with a good raft of coots hanging around it. I figured if nothing else maybe I would get a chance to shoot a coot for Beau. It took a little while but Beau settled in on the bench beside me and kept a very close eye on the seagulls flying by. The coots finally moved back in range and I was thinking about shooting one when my phone went off. I really should leave the thing in the truck. Anyways they decided to move on. A little while later I noticed one of my bufflehead decoys had moved, which seemed odd considering the lack of wind. It then dawned on me there was an extra decoy. At some point a hen buffy snuck in on me. As I was sitting there watching her wishing you could make divers fly like puddle ducks, she took off and gave me a nice crossing shot at 40 yards. Beau didn't mark it well, but then it was only a foot off the water when I shot it, but with a little encouragement he saw it on the water and made a nice retrieve.

IMG_1133_zpsyu8ludp4.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_1141_zpsto6l0sbc.jpg
[/URL]

There always has to be a first and what could have been better than taking a diver that drifted away from the decoys? Not only that when the buffy took off she gave you an excellent shot---

Most importantly kudos to Beau! I enjoyed these two pictures, Darin. By the way, down here the best days to go duck hunting have severe clear skies with no wind or maybe just a slight breeze.
Al

Back