Beaver Pond Blind Project

David K

I have access to a series of beaver ponds on private land and I have been wanting to build a blind for a few years now. One pond in particular is gorgeous, hard to get to , and seems to hold birds from the early season through December.

At the potential blind location, there is at least a foot of standing water during hunting season. Beavers are also constantly active. I'm thinking about jetting or driving CCA or Pipes for the foundation and then building the frame on top of that. Looking for recommendations.

Also considering building some type of walk way to the blind location since there is about 200 yards of bog between the tree line and the X. It is walkable, but pulling a jet sled with decoys to the location was nearly impossible.

David

If it never dries out I'd rent 4x4 driver and drive posts in the ground and build with treated materials as usual. The 4x4 driver would do everything including the boardwalk. An co-worker of mine built his own pneumatic driver that runs off a gas powered compressor.

why not just use a paddleboard or something like that to get to the blind? or a kayak? you could keep it out there during the season. heck, if the paddle board has scupper holes, you could also use it as part of your blind. you could sit on it and use stakes to keep it in place. Then you just slide it into a place you brushed up and you don't need a foundation really. Just a thought...

why not just use a paddleboard or something like that to get to the blind? or a kayak? you could keep it out there during the season. heck, if the paddle board has scupper holes, you could also use it as part of your blind. you could sit on it and use stakes to keep it in place. Then you just slide it into a place you brushed up and you don't need a foundation really. Just a thought...
If it was just me and the dog, I would get an Ascend H12, Waterfeather, or maybe a Momarsh to leave there on the edge of the tree line. The goal is to be able to take my father or a friend and be able to get them to the blind safely. I don't need anyone falling on a beaver spike on the walk to the blind.

David

If it never dries out I'd rent 4x4 driver and drive posts in the ground and build with treated materials as usual. The 4x4 driver would do everything including the boardwalk. An co-worker of mine built his own pneumatic driver that runs off a gas powered compressor.

Sweet! If I ever draw a blind again this is good to know.

Got to your township or municipality and see if you can get used stop sign posts. They are heavier duty than T posts, drive with hand post driver then bolt frame to them. Regular T posts are fine for the walkway.

I have access to a series of beaver ponds on private land and I have been wanting to build a blind for a few years now. One pond in particular is gorgeous, hard to get to , and seems to hold birds from the early season through December.

At the potential blind location, there is at least a foot of standing water during hunting season. Beavers are also constantly active. I'm thinking about jetting or driving CCA or Pipes for the foundation and then building the frame on top of that. Looking for recommendations.

Also considering building some type of walk way to the blind location since there is about 200 yards of bog between the tree line and the X. It is walkable, but pulling a jet sled with decoys to the location was nearly impossible.
Check with local dec about treated lumber. Try to get a lease, so you can put in a little money and labor into the project. I have hunted a private land for 65 years and have a great relationship with the family.

Check with local dec about treated lumber. Try to get a lease, so you can put in a little money and labor into the project. I have hunted a private land for 65 years and have a great relationship with the family.
The property is essentially a lease. Stop sign posts are a good idea.

Back