Belgium a-5 mag duck

clinton andrus

Hello to every one new here and this is my first post. I own a Belgium a5 mag with the 32 inch full choke barrel. Been hunting with it for two whole seasons now and keep getting slack from folks telling me I should not shot steel shot through it. Now my question is my barrel is stamped special steal. Does that me the barrel is made of a grade of steel that would make it safe to shoot steel shot through it and if not where can I find a barrel that will fit this gun that is safe for steel shot. Ohh and before anyone says bore the choke out let me say that will never happen. Thank you in advance for any info on this subject and hope to talk duck boats and duck hunting with y'all very son.

Suitability with steel shot depends on the age of the gun and the choke

Steel through any full choke can be an issue

Have you thought about the other non tox options?

I have seen Belgium full choke steel barrels develop a bulge from use with steel shot. Two options might be to open the choke to light mod or put a Japanese A-5 barrel on the gun for steel shot use. I put the Japanese barrel on my Belgium A-5 and put in an imp mod choke and shot over 3000 rounds of steel shells thru it with no ill effects.

Mike, I have shot the same gun with a 30 inch barrel for about 5 ears with steel shot and zero problems. My opinion (no facts) is that the steel shot shells have become so much better over the years the concern is not as great. I also don't use anything larger than #2 shot.

I would not recommend any shot bigger than #4 through the barrel. Vintage Sporting and The Barrel Exchange have new and used barrels. Google is a good start also.
I have a matched set if doubles with one bulged barrel, so beware...

The label "special steel" on Belgian made A-5's means made of special steel, NOT that it is in any way intended to be used with steel pellet loads. Check with Browning - they will tell you exactly that.

Bob

Browning's stance is no steel shot, regardless of size, through Belgium barrels. It can be found on their website.

EDIT; Here you go...

1. WILL ACCEPT ALL CURRENT FACTORY STEEL SHOT LOADS:
All Browning shotguns with the Standard Invector, Invector-Plus or DS choke tube systems, However, we do not recommend the use of Invector full or extra full chokes with steel shot. They pattern too tightly, and sometimes result in a "blown" pattern.

2. WILL ACCEPT ALL CURRENT FACTORY STEEL SHOT LOADS EXCEPT THOSE WITH T - BBB SIZE SHOT:
The B-2000 and B-80 shotguns with conventional chokes (Non-Invector)

3. DO NO USE ANY STEEL SHOT LOADS:
The Belgian-made A-5, Superposed, Leige, and other Belgian Over/Under models, Double Automatic, American-made A-5 and all other models not listed in category 1 or 2. Note: Belgian Auto-5 barrels are interchangeable with the new Invector barrels which are made in Japan. With this new Invector barrel installed on the Belgian-made Auto-5 receiver, steel shot loads can be used. (Shown below, Begian Superposed Over and Under.)

http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?id=128

Last edited:
Thank y'all for the replays and info. Someone mentioned opening the choke up to im choke and like I have already mentioned I would never do that to the barrel would rather buy a jap barrel to but on the gun then ruin the barrel by changing its choke and I.e worth of the gun as a matching set. I looked up on barrel exchange and will be getting one sent my way soon. Thanks again for all the info fellas.

Back