Berreta Xtrema 2

Kevin Inskeep

I bought the Xtrema 2 new 3 years ago ( no Kick-off ) for around $1200. It has broke down each year ( 3rd time now this season ) to the point I had to take it to a gunsmith each time. 3 diff years, 3 diff problems, all requiring parts to be ordered out and thus being without the gun for several weeks during each of the last 3 seasons. I know 6 guys that have the same gun and have had no issues with theirs. Is mine just a " lemon " ? Of the guys I know with the gun, none of them shoot as much as I do. I avg 4-5 flats a year, 3 flats of 3inch and 1-2 flats of 3 1/2 inch.
It seems the last 2 breakdowns where while shooting 3 1/2 loads ( Kent BB's ) Some guys have said I shouldn't be shooting so much 3 1/2 through it and I TOTALLY disagree, that's why I paid so much is to have a gun I can shoot heavy loads for as much as I see fit. The last 2 breakdowns were a broken extractor spring last season and a broken firing pin this season, I in all my 35 years of duck killin have never seen or heard of a firing pin breaking..?? but yep, she broke completely in half, actually fell out into my hand while trying to look into the breach. The firing pin episode this year was during our first hard freeze, ( 20 degrees is a hard freeze to a Lower river Oregonian ! ) someone said maybe water got down into the firing pin hole and froze thus starting the crack in the pin, others say it was from shooting 3 1/2 inch..??So now I have been shooting my back up 1100, which has a mind of its own too, you know how Remington autos are ! And the worse part of the story is the day my Xtrema brokedown this year was the first go round of the morning, crushed a greenhead out of a flock of 20, then no 2nd shot, my buddy tripled and we killed our 2 man limit that day by 9 am with trading his gun back and forth.I'm just looking for any feedback on the Xtrema 2 from anyone out there ?? Mine is still in the shop and were into our 3rd period goose hunt now

No advice on Berreta's here since I have never owned or shot one. I have four Remington 1187 and I have not had an issue with their function and in fact my oldest is my dedicated waterfowl gun and has been in use since 1990. Only replaced a charge bar and O rings with O ring failure due to my my laziness. The dedicated gun has plenty of use each season and almost entirely salt water setting. I had a friend with an 1100 and he had the same positive results. On the other hand I can tell the tale of two 870s that prove my point below.

One thing to consider when comparing others opinions on the same make and model is how they care for and handle the gun. A gun like a car is a mechanical piece of equipment and if abused, over used or improperly maintained it will not live up to the other pampered gun. I have hunted with people that treat their guns as ice breakers, brush busters, crutches and everything else they were not intended for and they seem amiss when troubles strike and I mumble how they should take it easy on the gun.

I had an Xtrema2 and never had an issue. I shot 3 1/2's too, granted I didn't run the amount of shells per year through it that you did. I sold it to a friend that hasn't had a problem with it either. I got their new A400 and love that gun too.

Been noticing a lot of threads out there the past couple of seasons on xtrema2 bolt issues. Bolts prematurely wearing, firing pin spring issues, etc. People have to buy entire bolt assemblies from brownells because beretta won't make it right. They are seeing the same wearing on the new model berettas too. I bought mine as soon as they came out, 2005-6ish, no issues to date but I bought mine strictly for turkey and a backup duck gun so it doesnt get a large amount of rounds through it.

I have the original Extrema now for maybe 7 years, no problems with it at all except for small plastic cap that holds the spring in and the plastic recoil piece, both cheap and easy to fix. I break my gun down after each shoot everything including the firing pin mechanism.

I have the original Extrema now for maybe 7 years, no problems with it at all except for small plastic cap that holds the spring in and the plastic recoil piece, both cheap and easy to fix. I break my gun down after each shoot everything including the firing pin mechanismThe next to last day of our Goose season here on the Island one of our regulars, who has shot a Baretta for two seasons with no problems had the fore grip cap go into orbit. We found the sping and the cap but the green spacer was never found. I spoke to the Baretta rep at the Harrisburg Show and I got the impression that it was not a uncommon problem

Kevin,

I am very sorry to hear your troubles. Frankly, I am shocked. I am a BIG Beretta fan and started with an original Xtrema in 2001 and have had a II; still have a 391 in 20 ga that I layout shoot with (last 5 years), and recently had my second season with the A400. I shoot 4-5 flats of skeet loads through them per year, but not duck loads. I honestly have not had a single problem with any of them. When I have hunted Argentina, I always shot a 391 and they have been flawless. Those rented guns have had thousands upon thousands of rounds put through them.

What does your gunsmith say is the issue? Have you been in contact with Beretta over the problems? Would Beretta be willing to take the gun back and have one of their gunsmiths look at it? When I had a problem with a Remington SP-10 a couple years ago, my gunsmith called Remington on my behalf and I was able to get a new barrel for free. Are there any aftermarket parts that would remedy the problem? IMO, I would be a "squeaky wheel" to Beretta to get a solution. You are right, you do pay a lot of money for a firearm that you EXPECT to perform to your expectations. Someone saying shooting too many 3 1/2" is bullshit in my book.

Sorry to hear that. That bothers me being a huge Beretta fan.

Best,
Steve

Sorry to hear of your problems. I have had the same gun as yours 4 years now, I feel it has been the Best Duck gun I have ever fired,no mater what the conditions were, not only reliability. but the lack of recoil with the Extrema Two has been great. I felt I gave it the ultimate test on an Argentina trip, I fired an a Ave of 12 boxes a day with some 3&Half as well as 2&three quarter for 5 days & never had a serious problem, when it slowed down, example would not insert 3 shell into the chamber, I found you have to keep it very clean after you fire an excessive amount off shells on any one day. I also have Remington 1100 & 1187 ,in my opinion they cant compare to the Beratta.

I probably got my Xtrema 2 the second or third year they were out. The second season I had it, some spring broke in the action (forgive my lack of recall and gunspeak) and my dealer could not get another one for weeks. A season later a pin fell out somewhere else, but Beretta was pretty quick to provide another one of those. Now the "collar" on which the two bolt guide rods ride up and down the magazine tube is split!

In an average season, I'll shoot 2 cases of 2 3/4" shells and 1.5 - 2 cases of 3 1/2" shells. Yes, if you don't clean the internals, occasionally it will puke. Also, given the conditions in which you use a waterfowl gun, an occasional hangup is ok in my book. However, I refuse to accept breakage as caused by a little gunk build up.

Yes, I expected more from the gun. However, in my experience, they all break. After Browning A-5s, Remington 11-87, Super Black Eagle, Winchester SX2, and the Beretta, I've given up . Instead I've learned to take a more military like approach: Learn to clear jams quickly and carry a backup.

Now when parts start falling out of my auto, I just get out the over and under. Fortunately, I haven't figured out how to break a Citori yet!

I've had one since 2007 and it started out as a lemon as well. Back to Beretta 3 times- they never could find a problem, at least that was their excuse. They would say it was dirty and needs to be cleaned better. I hunt a lot of salt and the gun is torn down after every hunt, so I knew that was BS.

Anyway, it was misfiring (light hits on the primer), which I came to find out was not uncommon. Since I didn't want to give up in this gun, I started to buy some replacement parts and see if I could find the problem myself. It didn't take long- I pulled out the hammer spring from the trigger assembly and compared it to a new one. It was 1/8th of an inch shorter - I replaced it with the new one and it hasn't missed a beat since with the exception of some wear and tear items that tend to go after heavy use and time.

I'll try and find some pics of the springs to show the size difference.

My moral was to never deal with Berettas CS again because they are useless.

Last edited:
The return spring in the Extrema was a problem in the beginning, but was addressed. The bolt locking was a problem for light hits. The bolt was not locked all the way forward and the hammer hits the bolt back and not the firing pin directly [light hits].
I use militec on the actions. With a unloaded gun, release the bolt slowly foward and let it close. Fire on a empty chamber and you will see the bolt move foward as the hammer strikes. Normally you have to let the bolt slam foward for proper functioning.
As far as the 1100 and 1187, cleaning is a major problem. After repairing many guns, proper reassembly of the gas system is the most common problem and hardware store o rings. Return spring in stock is another after a few years. My opinion is the Rems are work horses.

I'm like McCullough. I've owned Xtrema2 and A400. The only problem I've had is the A400 did not want to cycle dove loads at times. I've put aftermarket charging handles and bolt releases on both with improved performance. Otherwise, I would never think of owning another brand or model.

I've had my Extrema since 2006 with thousands of rounds through it and the only problem I ever had was cycling target loads when it was brand new. After it broke in a bit, it will shoot anything. Sorry to hear about your problems.

I don't have an Extrema, but I have a 390 I bought in 2003. I've never had a problem that was not my fault.
Shells put into the magazine backward will NOT cycle properly. :)
Cleaning & lubing the brass & primer ends of 1/2 a box of shells with spray WD-40 before storing for the summer is not a good idea. :(

I hunt a lot, the first 3-4 seasons I had my Berretta, I put at least a case of shells/ season through it. I definitely don't clean it as well as I should, light cleaning & oiling after each hunt and strip it down at the end of the season. I cant imagine what the recoil spring in the stock looks like after 10 years of use in brackish/saltwater. But after over 10 years of hard use, it goes bang with whatever load I put in it.

I don't buy the approach that you should expect malfunctions, or you shot too many 3.5" shells. Something is obviously wrong. I'd be calling and/or emailing Berretta USA and bug the shit out of them until they figure this out or send you a new gun.

I sent a 391 gold sporting back to them out of warranty due to some cycling issues after me and everyone at the gun club just couldn't figure it out. I simply included a nice short letter to them that I expected more out of the gun after owning several berettas in the past and everything we had done to try to fix it. I had a new gun in three weeks no questions asked. They included new chokes and everything. They did put my old barrel on the new gun since I had work done to it and my sure cycle back in the new gun.

Last edited:
Kevin,

That has not been my experience with an Xtrema2. I've had one for 6 seasons and the only issues I've encountered were my fault. During its 3rd season I had a few light primer strikes. I did a complete strip and cleaned the bolt and firing pin. With annual maintenance that problem never resurfaced.

A couple observations -- (1) the amount of filth and debris that collects in the bolt is staggering and (2) the firing pin is machined from a SS billet. I don't see how you could break one unless it's defective.

The other issue results from me occasionally trapping the trigger. I don't fully extend my trigger finger between shots. If I shot sporting clays during the summer, I'd develop muscle memory to prevent it .

Other than that, she's reliable.

Hope you get it resolved .

My moral was to never deal with Berettas CS again because they are useless.
Thankfully, I never had to deal with their customer service for any of my shotguns. I did however buy their new floating shotgun case. One of the clips that hold the carry strap on broke after a couple of hunts. They wouldn't send me a new $5 strap nor would they take the whole case back to replace. They wanted me to return it to where I purchased it. Customer service rep gave me some BS line that they can't assure quality control on items sold by a third party. I asked if they sell lower quality items to third parties (Amazon in this instance) and she told me "No, but we don't know who is making those items."
What kind of answer is that?? I love the guns but I will never buy any accessories from them ever again.

WOW !! All great replies ! Exactly the input I was looking / hoping for. So nice to hear all the common sense advice as no one here quite knows me but yes, I clean my gun and take care of it well ! no oaring the boat with it or knocking down brush ! Greatly appreciate the many responses ! I will chock this one up to mechanical error . I am very disappointed in the Berrette brand I must say. I am a tried and true Remington guy, my pops got me my first 20 ga 870 when I was 10 and I now have 3 870's 2 1100's a SP-10 and had and sold a 1187. I have a woodsmaster 742 .306 as well.The Xtrema is the first non-remington for me in about 20 years. Anyway, I put much thought and effort into the buying process of this Berretta and what sold me on the gun was the old throw her up to the shoulder and wait for the warm fuzzy feeling and after shouldering 3-4 diff brands, I chose the Xtrema 2 just because of the feel. I knew( well I thought I knew )
that the mechanical wherewithall of ANY new gun would be a hard working, never failing machine no matter which brand I chose. But I guess I was wrong on the particular gun. Glad to hear many of you have had no issues, but kinda glad also to hear I am not alone. I totally agree with the maintenance and upkeep of a gun, but the owner / customer having to buy after market ramped up spring kits and or more durable bolt parts is absolutely unacceptable in my opinion. When Joe lunch box like myself doles out $1200 for a gun, you expect it to be reliable. I roamed through the Berretta webpage and tried the contact us link, but discovered I had to join their club to submit a letter, that pissed me off even more and I haven't been back to their page. I got the call finally just today from the gunsmith working on the gun and she is ready to come home. I will have a chat with the shop and see about voicing a complaint to Berretta. Funny one of you mentioned the spring kit because the gunsmith threw one in as a just in case for me ! We still have a month of goose shooting still and I plan to get out ( with a back-up gun in the truck ! ) and cycle at least a box through my newly repaired Berretta. Just got a call today from a buddy with about 750 cacklers on a winter wheat field we are gonna hit saturday morning !! Again, Thank You all for the input

Back