Best knot for tying on decoy weights?

John Lane

What is the best knot for tying on decoy weights? I am using standard decoy cord and standard weights.

Thanks!

I use a two or three twist clinch not, but a lot of guys prefer the bowline knot. I've used it too with great success. The clinch knot tightens on the eye, whereas the bowline remains loose. Personal preference, I guess.

Look them up on youtube. There are some pretty good instuctional videos on there.

With either one, heat-up and "mushroom" the tag end, just in case.

Jon

Last edited:
Bowline with two wraps around the weight. Two wraps for chaffing. Burn the ends and a overhand knot for slippage. Never lost a weight or crippled decoy.

In light nylon decoy line bowlines didn't work for me. Heavy lines, yes but there are better knots. I swear the Cabela's nylon decoy from the 90's was designed by Houdini, knots just separated even when the tag end half hitched back on the loop. The trouble with knots we learned in boy scouts, sea scouts and hanging with the sailing crowd is that they are all designed to be untied after hard use, they don't lock up tight. Go to your fishing knots for security, they are designed not to come back apart after being drawn up tight.

My quick and preferred knot for decoy lines is the simple double over hand shown below, I was taught it was a surgeons knot but not sure its officially called that. But pretty much any fishing knot works well but you may have to cut them off. The doubled over hand does untie well in larger line.

View attachment LONGLINE KNOTS.jpg

Scott

ps: Off to RI for tour traveling decoy hunt, on the road by 2am. Wish us well!

Last edited:
Anchor bend with a half hitch on weight (I use cast lead mushroom weights) with overhand knot on tag end. Figure-8 loop with overhand knot on tag end, for the decoy end. I put the loop through the keel, then drop the weight through to complete the connection. This makes them easy to swap out for different length cords or gang rig drops, without the use of snap swivels.

I mostly use the Trilene Knot, or a modified version, but as in all things, it boils down to what works for you. Just my .02.

I simply put a loop at each end of the decoy line and use the loop to attach to the decoy and weight.

John if you do most of your hunting in flooded timber areas and other shallow water I would suggest Texas rigging your decoys. no more wrapping up lines around decoys

I put a 6" loop at each end and thread the line though the eye, then the loop. With loops and strap weights, I've been able to re-rig pretty quickly to add anchor line.

A loop knot on both ends. Flame the end of the line close to the knot and press the hot end into the knot without damaging the knot.

Back