BILL COLOR FOR A DRAKE MALLARD

william gaynor

I am never satisfied with the color I make to paint the bill of a drake mallard. What Behr paint do you use to get it right.

Good morning, Bill~

I am of the Wintering Area persuasion - growing up gunning on Great South Bay - with seasons running through January. So, I prefer a nice colored-up, breeding plumage for my decoys. Drake Mallards and Black Ducks get Behr CURRY POWDER (code PPU 6-01) It is basically a Yellow Ochre (NOT Chrome or Cadmium Yellow)

Horning%2003_zpsheh4wkgb.jpg

This time of year most drakes' bills are more subdued. Behr GINGKO TREE (code PPU 8-02) is a close approximation. I use it as the base on my Hen Black Ducks , but it would certainly not flare any early-season Mallarfds.

(...and, yes, in fact, Behr spells GINKGO incorrectly.....)

5%20Horning%20Hen%20face_zpszjpme5zz.jpg

Hope this helps.

SJS

Steve,
Speaking of drake mallard heads do you paint with pastoral then dry brush with botanical ? I am guessing the crown would be espresso beans?

Bill~

I paint the whole head with Flat Black - but Espresso Beans would certainly work. Then I stipple the Pastoral onto the cheeks, neck and brow. Then, within the Pastoral areas, I highlight "just enough" of the area with a bright green (e.g. Behr Botanical) with a dry brush. I use flat, white bristle brushes for these operations.

All the best,

SJS

yellow ochre, bit of white, bit of burnt umber, nail and nostrils, black.
You can change the burnt umber for carbon black, or black duck black(2 parts burnt umber to one part ultramarine blue) which will give you a greenish cast. Mallard bills are rather variable.

You guys sound like a bunch of junior high girls discussing lip gloss,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, not saying that's a bad thing, just saying that what you made me think about. :>) :>)

Dave~

Funny you should mention that....I just started coating the latex-painted bills on my gunning birds with satin varnish - mostly to protect the paint. But, if it catches YOUR attention, too - so much the better !

(I imagine the names given to paint colors nowadays are from the same focus groups and/-or underemployed English majors who name lip gloss....)

All the best,

SJS

Make it whatever color you want. IF the Mallards get that close to SEE it, they are in the SHOOT zone. Decoys judges excluded, day ain't DUCKS, just "experts". Howz that Lip Gloss work for ya?

I need all the help i can get, someday i will take the time to learn to post pictures and you will see what i mean .

Vince,
You probably suffer from the same thing i do,lack of time. as you said there is lots of help on this site about most anything of interest to me including posting pictures. I told myself i would learn to post pics. this year but it hasn't happend yet.
I started off right this am dog training, a good breakfast now off to unload and stack firewood before i change oil in 2 vehicles then i will get back to those mallards while i rest. Haaa life is good if you feel good.
I'll let Dave worry about those teeny boppers and their makeup, i have more important things to do. See what you stirred up Dave.

Bill - I try my best to use the time I do have, doing things I enjoy everyday. Trying to become more computer/social media savy is not one of those things. A man has to stay busy to stay alive, cuz once ya hit the rockin' chair it's over...

My day began cleaning up a water mess in my shop,then cleaning Squirrels and now fixing the belt on the dryer. I save all House Duty for weekends if possible. Thank goodness all hunting and fishing gear is in order and ready to go. That's why there are weekdays for retired, but not tired guys.

We chide each other here but it's all in good fun. Dave will also do just fine.

"IF IT AIN'T FUN DON'T DO IT." - Justin Wilson

this site is rather one of the most complicated to post picts on . i had it down before , but add another thing to the list of things i forgot how to do ! i would post more if they could make it easier .

I think Huntindave posted a good explanation of the process as well a few others. Take the time to search posts on the topic.
I'm burning daylight,gotta go.

Back