Boat recommendation

Capt J. Stieben

here is what I might need for a hunting spot we have came across:

2 man, a dog, decoys, light enough to paddle and not super tippy. No motors allowed type of place.

Two man kayak, canoe, I will take all ideas. Have had duckers in the past and did not like the performance in this situation, maybe it was me but loved the price when I sold them LOL

Good morning, John~

A few questions:

1. How far do you have to travel on the water?

2. Is a jonboat - rowed, not paddled - a possibility?

3. Will you be shooting from the boat? or just using it for transit, setting decoys and picking up downed birds?

Two of us gunned for many years from a 17-foot canoe. However, we were careful to lodge it into heavy vegetation - mostly for stability but also for cover - when gunning. We shot with our backs to each other. A 2-man broadside could certainly "rock the boat" if she were not on submerged logs or bog.

This is my Dad in flooded timber in the late 80s.

[inline "1988 - TMS_at_Upper_&_Lower_Lakes_circa_1988.jpg"]

Used 17-foot Grummans around here are commonly available for $400-$500.

Hope this helps!

SJS

View attachment 1988 - TMS_at_Upper_&_Lower_Lakes_circa_1988.jpg

Take a look on line at ghenooes. Paddle like a canoe but bottom design makes them very stable compared to a standard canoe. Square stern so an outboard can be mounted if desired or trolling motor. I,ve had a 15' for several years now and use it for about the same type hunting your looking at. Weight of the 15 is about the same as a 12x36 aluminum jon. I,ve even built a lightweight tank camo net roll down blind for mine and occasionaly use it during early teal when I can slide hull into an area to provide stability to stand and shoot. I run an 8hp outboard on mine usually but a few places just use a trolling motor. I,ve huinted 2 head, dog and few duck and goose decoys from mine many times. Best thing about hull design is the more weight you put in it the more stable it gets.

Last edited:
Capt. J

I just bought a Beavertail Stealth 2000 for my son. Its a two man 12 foot duck boat. I'm a big man and it floats my son and I very well. Very stable and can go just about anywhere, Weights about hundred fifty pounds fits in the back of a truck . I really love it. I take in the back bays of the Hudson River in Upstate NY. Comes with two gun racks and shell holders and a place for a few decoys. All molded in the plastic boat.
Your up close to the birds and can hide from just about anything.

Hope this helped

You could row a Grumman Sportboat, stable yet on the heavy
side in comparison to an Alumacraft 185CL. 18’ Canoe, Big,
795 LB. capacity and weighs about 73 lbs. hunted from a CL for years
Great Canoe. I have owned both....sold the canoe to my brother when I
moved to Alaska years ago however I bought a Sport Boat in Alaska and if I could have
just one boat and only one...it would be a Sport Boat.

Last edited:
If it's for nothern MN the answer is Grumman Sport Boat.

You don't want a stealth boat if you're going through rice.

roy brewington said:
Take a look on line at ghenooes. Paddle like a canoe but bottom design makes them very stable compared to a standard canoe. Square stern so an outboard can be mounted if desired or trolling motor. I,ve had a 15' for several years now and use it for about the same type hunting your looking at. Weight of the 15 is about the same as a 12x36 aluminum jon. I,ve even built a lightweight tank camo net roll down blind for mine and occasionaly use it during early teal when I can slide hull into an area to provide stability to stand and shoot. I run an 8hp outboard on mine usually but a few places just use a trolling motor. I,ve huinted 2 head, dog and few duck and goose decoys from mine many times. Best thing about hull design is the more weight you put in it the more stable it gets.
I have used a Gheenoe HiSider 15’4” in our marsh several seasons and have similar things to say. OK to paddle and good with a motor I have used a Evinrude folding Ducktwin 3hp and a Go-Devil 6.5hp on it and it is very stable

I would second the sportboat. Rows well,2 people with a set of oars could paddle it an electric motor works great. We will be refurbing an old 3 hp johnson for use on it.
My trailer is tilt type which is also handy for unimproved ramps. No maintenance, a rattle can to touch it up.

Thanks guys for all the ideas, need nothing with a motor, I have the motorized boat on order. I have trapped from a sportboat, I found it ok to row but iffy to maneuver with paddle, great utility boat with motor. I had a hunting buddy years ago that had a gheenoe that was quite the boat with a motor, one time I was going to get one, but I drifted away. This is motorless craft. I previously owned lund and alumacraft duckers, been there, maybe should of kept one, but 2 guys dog and decoys, neither was it in my opinion, maybe I was wrong.

This hunting spot just landed in our lap, it is not in the duck sanctuary LOL of NE Minnesota, it is about 6 hours west of us in North Dakota. The idea was something two of us could slip in the water, (water is low some of these places in Dakato's so trailers are iffy) load with some decoys, and a smaller dog and ease into position. The canoe idea is always there, but last time I went in the drink was shooting out of a canoe LOL

Thanks again I will explore some of the ideas thrown out there.

Back