boat trailer advice/question

Jake

Good morning. I'm currently looking for a small boat trailer for my 14ft flat-bottom. I found one at harbor freight for 399.00 on sale. Reviews are pretty good but wanted your thoughts. I have a 17 horse after market mudmotor that I am going to try and use on the boat this year. All new to me. The river down here in southern NM is dried up and Im not expecting any water for the season unfortunately so the lakes are my next best bet. Thanks for any input, jake

you have to look at how much the trailer is rated for and figure out what boat ,motor, gas, and whatever else you want to haul in boat, add weight up make sure it can handle it and buy the best trailer you can afford they get used harder then you think. Never cheap out on the trailer, breakdowns are costly on the road

Harbor Freight stuff can be great, ok, fair and well you get what you pay for. I was rebuilding a 1988 trailed that has sat since 1989 in the woods here in the northeast and figured I would buy a HF trailer to strip parts from as it ended up cheaper. Well after getting it home and looking at materials and construction it went back in the box and was returned. I ended up buying a few parts for the rebuild at HF and was impressed with what I got and what I paid for them especially with the coupon for 20% off. Check craigs list for a used trailer and buy new parts online through Ebay or Overtons.

you have to look at how much the trailer is rated for and figure out what boat ,motor, gas, and whatever else you want to haul in boat, add weight up make sure it can handle it and buy the best trailer you can afford they get used harder then you think. Never cheap out on the trailer, breakdowns are costly on the road

I couldn't agree more. The breakdowns may not only be costly, but they are always darned inconvenient!

Be sure that you set up your new trailer to load the boat easily in varying ramp and current (when your water returns) conditions. It amazes me how many guys "fight" their trailers because they aren't set up properly.

Jake - If you need to tow any distance, make sure you get a trailer with 12" tires if you can swing it. I learned the hard way that 8 " tires are probably turning at 90 when the tow vehicle is running at 60 and it can put a strain on bearings and things break down. I agree with the idea of rating.........a little more capacity is way better than a little less than needed.
sarge

Back