Brant in New Jersey

CPKBasil and Robert

I'm thinking of taking a road trip with the sneakbox to finish out the '09 - '10 season. Of the options, I'm really tempted by a NJ brant hunt.

I'm curious how NJ brant are as table fare. Are they feeding on eel grass or sea cabbage? I've read their diet influences flavor.

Since this will be my first trip to NJ, I'll probably stick to a discrete piece of public land -- like the Forsythe NWR outside of Oceanville. Is this a decent plan, or should I look to some of the units further north? Either way I'll put in a full day scouting before hunting.

Any help is appreciated.

Brant are a very fun bird to hunt. Any white looking decoys will bring them in usually. The main thing is to be where they want to be. You can decoy them into anything if you are where they want to go and sometimes, even if you aren't.

They are very plentiful from Raritan Bay on south on the coast in the entire state. I'm sure you would do well in Brigantine as you mentioned. Pick a good point or large bay that they are trading through and you should have a good shoot.

As for table fare...

I honestly stopped shooting brant a few years ago. I just can't justify shooting something I don't eat. I've had them piling in all day to my puddle duck rig with the dog staring at me as if to say, 'just one for me?', but I resist.

I know a lot of guys shoot them though so maybe they can enlighten you on how to cook them. Good luck on the hunt and if you're looking for info for the northern coast of NJ shoot me a PM.

Dont Vermont Jersey please!

Just kidding you are welcome here, I saw the reverse on a bumper sticker one time skiing in your state.

Maybe try smoking some Brant into jerky after soaking them in buttermilk

As far as table fare, I like them. I know some guys don't but if prepared correctly they are very good.
First off, as soon as you shoot one lay it on it's back so all the blood does not lay in the breast meat.
Here is a simple recipe.
Breast the bird, cut into small 1/2" long strips, place in Teriyaki glase and leave in refrigerator for 2 to 3 days or longer. Take some sliced mushrooms and onions and saute in buter. Using the same large skillet push the mushrooms and onions over to one side and pour in the marinated Brant cook quickly. Just don't over cook. Mix in some rice or other favorite vegetables and enjoy.

Last day for Brant in NJ is the 14 of this month

Thanks, Jim. I don't know how I overlooked that. I guess my trip will have to wait until next season.

And, it does look like, to some folks, they really ARE that bad to eat. It's funny, some authors claim they are the finest game birds on the table, if they've been eating eel grass.

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes - they taste bad compared to puddlers...Jim D had a recipe i remember that had to do with grilling breasts on a cedar plank - and then eating the plank...
They can be made into good jerky or dog food tho.
Brant season on the left coast is about 3 weekends in January, so very different than NJ or NY. And you need written approval from the gov...lol
Better hunting in both NJ and NY than WA state...just sayin...

This is a takeoff of a similar recipe I read on here last year, but it'll work just as well.

-Prepare crockpot with onions, carrots, potatoes, celery, fresh garlic, and a red wine base for simmering and cook on low for approx 2 to 4 hours.
-Remove from crockpot, place in dog bowl, and serve to Mallard Muncher with fresh water.

It lost a little in the translation - but you get the point. :)

I have to say East coast Brant are pretty low on my list of table fare.

The only recipe I ever tried that was edible was one a friend made for Tuckerton show a few years ago.

They were done in a crockpot as a pulled pork style Bar-B-Que.

With all the sauce you could put just about anything in there and it would taste good. I rarely shoot them anymore for that reason.

Last edited:
Do you have any eiders where you hunt, would love to trade hunts. Eiders for brant, can put you on as many as you like just outside of Atlantic City. I dont gamble but you could make a weekend out of gunning and gambleing.

Do you have any eiders where you hunt, would love to trade hunts.

Not many eider in Vermont. They are occasionally taken on Champlain. Someone even took a drake king eider on Champlain last season, but that's a fluke. I do see scoter almost every season, but I've never taken one.

Now MA is a different story, but I hunt there as a guest. I don't have a sea duck rig or any personal spots. Sorry.

Back