Bucket O Death

JCatizone

I have been fighting with chipmunks for many years now and have a solution to pass along.

They have been chewing into the house, burrowing into my lawn, and just making a mess. We're talking about them leaving ant hills that required navigating with my John Deere! I killed all the grubs over the last few years, tried smoke bombs, spring traps, rat traps, and this year resorted to packing at least a dozen holes with stone dust that was hammered in. The little bastards won't leave me alone so I wondered what would Lou Tisch do...

bucketodeath.jpg

My Bucket O Death is a slight variation without the roller, peanut butter, and antifreeze. Yesterday morning at 0510 I filled a 6 gallon bucket with water to a level that was just out of reach of the little bastards, floated a handful of black sunflower seeds in, placed the rim of the bucket near a stone wall (read: chipmunk highway) and went to work. Last night when I got home there was sense of peace at Villa Catizone...

Hopefully this technique was worth sharing.

John I love it. Used to do that for mice with peanut butter as bait. I have squirrels that are digging in all my wifes potted plants on the patio guess I will have to stop and get some buckets and sunflower seeds!

Hey those are Hudson's chipmunks, a federally protected species.

A bucket? I'm dissapointed, you didn't happen to have a scrap 2' piece of 14" alum tube laying around that you could weld a base to?

T

They must all be here if they are a rare species.

And yes, I keep a rather large selection of aluminum on hand but the bucket seemed better for hunting. Besides a set of snowgoose plans were put on order this morning...

Snowgoose plans, don't you know those boats porpoise?!?! he hehehe

That is going to be an awesome project. I'm sooo jealous.

T

Sweet!

We have a family of them outside the office. The squirrels are the problem here, but a pointed pellet takes care of them. The chipmunks are our friends. We have one named Fred, and I think he has a family. I'll remember the bucket if they become a problem.

-D

Love this trick!!
I've nabbed many of the little buggers over the past few years.... And, it looks like I need to set the trap again this year too... Now if I could that to work for moles...

I finally got the mole that made my yard look like one of those kids puzzles on placemats. I used one of those "really good" mole traps that has the pitchfork that slams down..trouble was..the ground is so hard ya can't push the damn thing down into it. I was watching his stomped down trails one morning and saw the dirt moving...grabbed my trusty(rusty) potatoe fork and went to town jabbing the shit out of the area he was humping up..then dug up the spot and couldn't find him. Since I had totally aerated the ground, I set the trap and got him before the day was done. The black squirrels are getting into the wifes plant's out back so the pellet gun and grandson have been relegated to guard duty.

how could such a cuit thing cause so much problems! I gues one will never know. Just put them into the dead kity pile and things will be fine!

Mike

we had the problem with squirells and chipmonks digging up our yard for acorns and fresh planted grass seed....
bought my wife one of them there Remington Summit .177cal pellet rifles w/ a 3-9x40mm scope and nice hardwood stock. @1000 fps it takes care of bidness lemme tell ya.

she keeps a tally by the phone by the back slider... well over 200+ offending critters dispatched in the last year... including 2 ground hogs and a couple feral cats. :)

"The little bastards won't leave me alone so I wondered what would Lou Tisch do... "

That is just too funny. I had to laugh. Love the "bucket of death" thingy too. Outstanding..........glad you're solving the problem........I truly understand. :) Lou

Tod.

Since the Chipmunks technically killed themselves, it doesn't matter if they're federally protected or not. You can't be prosecuted for storing water improperly (in a dirty bucket that previously contained sunflower seeds and wasn't properly cleaned out), 'least not in most places.

Congrats on the innovative solution to your problem. Just like Dr. Kevorkian who couldn't stand always being stuck in the grocery store lines behind old people........

I have been at war with those bastards too. But, I would call it the "Sheepish War" because I kind of like the little shits. They're cute and sweet and fill their little cheeks with goodies...ah the kids love them. That's why I had to turn my head and leave the poison on the garage floor next to the bag of birdseed. Strangely, after a few days I didn't see very many of them. But alas, I found out last weekend that the neighbors have been live trapping them and releasing them in the country. When I reminded them that death by snake, raptor or fox is assured there they were very sad.

Better living through chemistry...better living through basic technology.

wow bill the kavorkian line is both funny and wrong i suppose, i liked it.

i was building a patio on the waterfront for this rich canadien woman that had property on one of the islands on lake champlain here and she had a wicked chipmunk problem, we hydroseeded her lawn and the things bored all kinds of new holes and she bitched that her lawn was spotty, but when i told her it was the result of "chippy" (whom she feed on a regular basis and eventually became tame enough to catch) she said no way and that "he would never do a thing like that" well me and my boss got sick of it and one day they dropped me off to finish this patio and those chipmunks kept chasing each other around me, so i decided to try to catch one. i made my most convincing chipmunk sound and one came close enough to my shovel and in one quick motion i had chippy over this 30' cliff and into lake champlain.

didnt solve much but check one for me, then i stuffed bout 6 holes with rock fines and compacted them ;)

eddie

Back