Budget (OK cheap) pump shotguns

Look for a old 870 Wingmaster, or even better yet a model 31, on the used racks at local reliable gun shops. Plenty of 2 3/4 Wingmasters around, cuz everyone wants Big Guns for Waterfowling.
Rural auctions also have some very good guns at fair prices, now more than ever it seems...........

Take a look at a Browning BPS Stalker. Black barrel and black composite stock that just gets uglier and uglier. I've had mine for 11-12 years and it is still very solid, tang safety and bottom eject is great for lefties. It is a pain to strip and reassemble so I don't clean it very often. Mine is the 3", I have shot a friends 3.5" but did not like the feel of the extended receiver. They are cheap on the used market, I think they are a great value.

I use a Moss 500 that is about 25 years old, and it looks it (even had wardens laugh when they chexk it,) But it works amd i dont have to worry about it, My dad last year got a Maverk, its works well, but you can feel that it os cheaply made.
I always thinl about taking one of my nice old side ny sides but then remember a good duck gun makes an ok paddle if needed,

Last edited:
Another vote for the 870. I bought one with a synthetic stock in 87 and still use it for all my duck hunting. I am an armorer for work and have been to the repair class at the factory. The 870 is used by a lot of law enforcement agencies. Very simple and reliable design. I recently worked on a new 870 and I can tell you the quality has gone way down. If you can find an older wingmaster you won't regret it.

Tim: I bought an express in 2001 and have used it ever since. I had problems with the finish not holding up, but a can of spray paint fixes it every year. It's kind of fun to change colors and patterns. a few years ago I went to a Supernova, just for the adjustability of the stock. No regrets with either purchase. Both of mine are easy to break down and clean, and they go bang every time.

Take care,
Scott

Tim,

That Mossy rattles because it was meant to rattle...like an AK, it was meant to be used in harsh conditions...water and mud run right thru it and it still shoots.

That said, I think I currently have four 870's in the house...
  • My son's original 20 ga youth model, now fitted with an adult stock (its his not mine)
  • An old but very very smooth Wingmaster in 2 3/4 with fixed mod choke
  • An Express Magnum with drilled and tapped receiver and scope...bird (turkey) and Slug (deer) barrels
  • A Police Wingmaster with a 20" barrel and 6 shot tube
They are all bad assedly reliable...you can't go wrong.

I also once took in a Benelli Nova on trade and I like it, or at least I did until Eric mentioned the dildo thing...Now I'm not sure if I want to pick that gun up for a while until I can get that image out of my head

Heres a suggestion...google for your closest Law Enforcement Equipment distributor and see of they have any Wingmaster or Mossberg turn-ins. Sometimes they get a load of department trade-ins that appear to be all beat up but are just in need of some rehab from a new owner.

Last edited:
I see a lot of votes for 870 from people who have been using them for decades with no problems.
The problem is they don't make 'em like they used to anymore, just like everything else. Still good guns, but not as good as they were.

I do agree Andy. I still have my original Wingmaster I bought in 1972 for $138.00. Great gun, solid... I will say, I've had two 870 Expresses and now have 2 Waterfowl Editions. The Waterfowl Editions are well built and go the extra mile on the little things... I put a Patternmaster in one for goose season, good duck gun, good goose gun, good teal gun, good all-around gun... Pat

Tim
Another vote for the 870. I recieved an 870 wingmaster as a present from my mother in 1983, a year before my highschool graduation. Never told Dad, just pulled it out of the gun case the first day next season and he was anazed. It has the wood stocks, 30" barrel w/ full choke and 3" chamber. it was good back in the lead days. Sine then I have had the had the barrel cut down and threaded to recieve chocke tubes. I have used he hell out of tis gun. I bought a stock sleeve to protect the wood, but I hav esince treated it like a work horse and it has never failed me. I keep thinking about buying a "finer" gun than pull ito out and use it and I can not justify the extra expense. It never fails to do the job. I have never owned another gun and it is now 30+ years old and I will not buy another gun. i purchased my wife a 870 express 1o+ years ago and it is a great gun also; it as the wood stocks. When it is time to buy my awesome daughter (she is now 10) a gun a will buy her a 20 guage 870 express, but I will go with the synthetic stock this time and maybe an auto loader for her unless she grows stronger. Remington has never failed me and i have been very demanding and as the years go by I have I have been less of a "gun cleaner". It always works!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and sharing your personal knowledge on these guns. I'll have to go look at a few on the gun racks to see for sure what one I want. It sounds like I can't go too wrong with a good deal on either an 870 or a 500 if it's in sound shape.
Who knows when I will get into a situation like that again but I hate to put my old wood stocked guns in that situation. I might look around for a deal on an older wingmaster and do some modifying if I need to. Plastic stocks are cheap for them.

Tim

John,
My youngest nephew got a 20ga 870 youth with a laminate stock last fall. He is small for 14 and it fits him well. He is having a great time with it, shot a limit of doves with it this fall(won't mention the number of shells).

Tim

If all I was going to shoot was 2 3/4 inch shells, I would jump on a classic 870 Wingmaster. Lots of em for sale. Many have choke tubes and if not you could have it opened up if needed. In my opinion, not a smoother, fail proof action out there! I've got 20 ga I bought back in the 70's when I was a teenager from my lawn mowing money that was made in the 60's that has never had a problem.

I have a ~1990 870 express with synthetic stock and an older 500 with wood stock. The fit/finish/feel of the remington seems better overall. Never had any problems with the 870. Had a cycling problem with the 500 a long time ago. The 870 is my primary gun. The 500 is my "loaner" gun. Personal preference.

I loved my mossberg 500 in 20 gauge. So nice and light, and no kick. It was the best 1$ I had ever spent on a raffle ticket :)

Back