Can anyone ID this boat?

My mistake.... Herter's Goose-Duck!

DCP_0900.jpg

DCP_0899.jpg

DCP_0898.jpg

Any idea how they handle in the water?

I have the opportunity to buy her for $150 bucks. Whats she worth?

Thanks, Ryan

Handles like any small boat, plenty stable if you respect it. I could stand in it and throw marks for retriever training just fine. Kind of heavy, not a roof rack boat though I did it a few times when I first got it. Better in the bed with help, or on a small trailer. Neat old boats. I traded mine to my next-door neighbor, his son wanted to make a sneakboat out of it.... I got 3 pair of birds mounted in trade... the boat has never moved from the back woods. I am sure it could be bought if anyone is looking for one in NOVA. He also has a like new 12ft Jon boat that only gets wet when it rains...

I think I paid $125 for mine on the side of the road some 20+ years ago up in Vermont. So if you can get it for $150, you will have a good deal. Glass is easy to fix.

Ryan,

A duck boat that does not leak is worth the money paid. $125 bucks is a steal for that boat. I wouldn't blink.

Good Luck,
Ron

Back in the 60's when I used to get the Herters Catalog I obsessed over that boat. Had quite a few of their decoys over the years though. Good luck with her.

Great little boat very stable I have hunted out of one for a couple of years now, not very light but very easy to hide. I made some pods for the back of mine out of plywood and covered them in glass to help support the weight of the motor better. with a standard outboard motor don't expect much for speed especially if you have a second guy with you. with 2 guys with a 6hp before pods about 5mph, with my short tail mud motor 15-16mph, with just myself outboard about 10mph, with the short tail about 20-22mph.

It does handle chop better than a small jon boat but you do need to be careful if the weather get bad, in good weather though it is a very safe and huntable boat.

Back