Can Deadmount

Phil Nowack

A bird that I finished for a client today. I was happy the way it turned out...

The old box of paper hull shells doesn't goe with the mount.. the client will decorate the shadow box with an old decoy and other stuff of his....

I just wish my wifes grandfather hadn't taped up the box.....

Can12.jpg

That's some mighty fine work there Phil. And I agree it's to bad the box is taped it sure would be purty without it.
Rick

Phil, have ya ever tryed putting the box of old shells in the freezer over night? A lot of times freezing breaks the bond of tape, it works on lickem style of stamps. Oh & thats a great lookn mount!
Dennis

What a gorgeous mount. Love that shadow box. There just has to be a way to remove that tape without harming the box. Maybe the idea that Dennis provided might work. Contact Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing (3M) and see if they can provide with some possibilities????
Al

Thanks all... I have never even tried to remove the tape. I was also iformed of a method with WD 40.... One thing is for sure I need to get some of these vintage boxes... other than e-bay... does anyone know where a guys can get a few of them, as well as paper hulled shotshells?

Phil, I have some paper hull empties that a guy could use if you are interested. I don't think it would take much to make them look like they are filled but that was before my time so I don't know how you would go about it. If your interested let me know.
Rick

I know you can reload paper hulls... they should be able to be recrimped.. but I would prefer them to be shot anyway! I didn't dig around my stuff to find some spent shells ... or calls for that matter!

Thanks Rick!

Again... thanks..

1 of the neat things to me... was that I found and old square nail in one of the boards of the old barn where I got the barn boards... That square nail is what the duck is "hanging" off of.

Glass is always good, as dust makes any mount look bad... But it does cost more... and clients often do not want to spend extra... and it does take a little something away from the appearence... IMO

Last edited:
Phil looks great really nice looking mount. Dont use WD-40 on the box to try and get the tape off it will stain the box. Try the freeze method first. If the tape does come off you will probably find the color underneath will be different from the rest of the box. This is due to the light fading the colors and the tape blocking the light for so long.

Let me know if you want them, I'm sure we can work some sort of deal out, they're just sitting around collecting dust at my place anyway.
Rick

Rick I would like them.... PM me with what you are thinking...

The old Peters box is in the freezer right now.

Back