Can I just paint my transom or do I need to seal it first

Mark W

Before installing my plywood transom, do I need to seal it before painting it with a good paint such as Lou's FME or Parkers Paint? My plan is to just paint it good on all sides before installing it an then it will get sprayed again when painting he boat. Is this a mistake? The inside of the transom will not get wet, the outside will get wet but not be sitting in the water. I read that putting on a coat or two of polyurethane is not the best idea as it would need to be primed prior to painting.

Suggestions?

Mark

Last edited:
Mark~

I would seal the plywood - both sides and edges - with 2 coats of straight epoxy. I always round my outside edges over with a router before sealing. and then scuff sand the plywood with 80-grit.

Once fully cured, wash off with warm water (to remove amine blush) then sand carefully with 120-grit paper. Be careful not to sand through the edges. Then wipe down with acetone.

The plywood itself should be bedded in a caulk. It does not have to be 3M 5200 - a good paintable door and window caulk will suffice. When installing, make sure there is a complete seal around the perimeter.

What metal are you sing for fasteners? Stainless should be OK but try to isolate the fasteners from the aluminum - most likely with a bit of caulk in any screw hole before fastening.

Two coats of paint once it's on the boat - or one before and then one after installation.

Hope this helps!

SJS

Mark~

I would seal the plywood - both sides and edges - with 2 coats of straight epoxy. I always round my outside edges over with a router before sealing. and then scuff sand the plywood with 80-grit.

Once fully cured, wash off with warm water (to remove amine blush) then sand carefully with 120-grit paper. Be careful not to sand through the edges. Then wipe down with acetone.

The plywood itself should be bedded in a caulk. It does not have to be 3M 5200 - a good paintable door and window caulk will suffice. When installing, make sure there is a complete seal around the perimeter.

What metal are you sing for fasteners? Stainless should be OK but try to isolate the fasteners from the aluminum - most likely with a bit of caulk in any screw hole before fastening.

Two coats of paint once it's on the boat - or one before and then one after installation.

Hope this helps!

SJS
Thank you Steve. Kind of figured this is the route to go. Finally getting warm enough here to get some work done on the boat. It needed way more work than I thought. You've never had that happen to you I'm sure.

Mark

I still use west system epoxy. When sealing the edges paint on epoxy, heat with hair dryer, it will thin out and soak in. Reapply more and repeat 2-3 times, than finish coat. Try it on a few scrap pieces.

Back