Cans on the Detroit River

I only counted 8765, I think you are off a little.....

What a site to be seen. I've never experienced an aerial shot such as you posted but have seen rafts of thousands of can's rafting on Lake Pepin (Mississippi) a couple of times in my life. Truly an amazing site. Or, I have witnessed many times the annual migration of snow geese over the South Dakota plains. Wave after wave of thousands of geese that continues on for what seems like forever. The joys and wonders of nature at its best.

Mark W

What a fantastic shot of what Spring time is all about. Thanks! Makes me wish I was belly down on the ice taking pictures of them with the long lens.
Al

Hi guys, I've been member here for quite a while but have never posted. I check the classifieds once in a while.

Another member thought some you might like this can photo I made last week on the lower Detroit River during an aerial waterfowl survey with the Michigan DNR. We figure there's over 10,000 in this group and we saw several other rafts close in size to this one.

Hope the upload works! Third time's a charm....

Thanks for taking a look, I know it looks pretty rough at under 100 KB.

Last edited:
Hey Jim, that was back in January, just ne of Grosse Ile.

I would post a lot more pics here but they look pretty bad at 100 KB and when I try at 100 KB I still get a warning that the files are too big.

Last edited:
OK, figured the photo thing out! Here are a few more from this winter.

Cans & Tundra Swans off of Lake Erie Metropark, February

Common Mergansers near the Monroe power plant

Back