Canvas decoys

Vince,

I hope to one day continue this conversation over coffee instead of on the internet. Much respect. I appreciate the difference in opinions and by no means am I looking to step on toes.

I enter in contest along the east coast. The only shows that have a specific canvas category are the IWCA shows and this past year, the entries have been way down. It was nice to see the East Carolina show come back and hopefully it continues. The Ohio show is an IWCA show but to my knowledge they no longer have a canvas only category???

In these shows along the east coast, Heck Rice, Rob Oliver and I generally have 90% plus of the canvas decoy entries. Scott Green and Tony Banks are helping to keep the canvas category going and they make some really nice stuff. Gary Lawrence is making some nice stuff as well and he will be very competitive. The only place that I see canvas is at Rappahannock, East Carolina and Core Sound and they are IWCA shows. In the shows that don't have a canvas category, It is usually Heck, Rob and myself with canvas, and we are entered into the contemporary category.

These contemporary styled decoys that we do are very durable. They have two coats of kilz and all the seamed areas are glued with tite-bond III and primed as well. They are impervious to water which protects them and keeps the fabric from getting frayed and breaking down. Canvas is very tough but when it gets repeatedly wet and dry it develops mold and rot. I have seen this time and time again with canvas in marine applications and it most certainly would carry over to decoys as well. This seems to be why Sunbrella fabric in now more readily used for outdoor items and marine use and now appears to be the gold standard.

The hunters that made "fabric" decoys a long time ago used what ever was readily available to them. The even made "canvas" decoys out of T-shirts.

The traditional goose was made by Martin Van Buren Caroon (1900-1972) It is pulled tighter than a traditional canvas decoy and is made with stringers as well. It is self-bailing.

Mike -

I very much look forward to our conversation in person over coffee, or a adult beverage. Hopefully someday that will happen.

All of the folks you mentioned make fine decoys.

I had the pleasure to spend time with Scott Green last year, at the ODCCA show in Strongsville. The man is a Canvas/Wire Decoy Making Machine.

I am in awe of his skills, techniques, and well thought out short cuts, to get things done properly. Even though I am not a fan of staples...[;)]

Like George Williams aka DecoyMonsterMachine. Scott makes more quality canvas decoys by mistake, than I do on purpose. Way out of my league.

As I mentioned before, the IWCA picked up the idea for canvas contests, after seeing the success of the Pool at the Westlake Show.

I do not keep tabs, or compete in IWCA contests, but to my knowledge the Pool (not IWCA ever) still has a Canvas Class Contest.

The IWCA did much to change the landscape of many decoy contests, for better, and worse. It is my belief that the more art is legislated, the more it excludes than includes.

That fewer canvas makers now compete is a case in point. If their decoys differ, from those that win, they have little to no chance.

When all decoys look the same, no matter who made them, a clone effect takes place. Personal style, and unique features to a maker/carvers work go out the window to comply.

I truly believe that there are more canvas decoys makers now, old school, and new school, than ever before. Yet few have any interest in contests.

Canvas/wire decoys were birthed to fill a void, as the materials to create them was available, when wood, or cork, was not. Decoys were made with what they had.

Makers are still doing that today. That time has not passed. It just flies under the radar, and you will never see their work in Wildfowl Carving Magazine

In my world a canvas decoy is like a very good trout fishing fly - sparse. Made to do it's job for as long as possible, then expire, or retire. Replaced with new ones, or (with good canvas decoys) old ones, recovered very easily, and put back in service.

The canvas decoys I make, wire, or slat, are made for my use. When I feel I need to create one I do. Very few migrate to other places.

There are many old canvas/wire decoys, self bailing and not, filled with expandable foam, in a effort to keep them afloat. Mostly due to poor bottom boards.

Things can only last for so long.

I wish you well, and success in all your endeavors.

Best regards
Vince

Vince,

Thanks for the reply and as previously stated, much respect.

I did not initially plan on being so active in the decoy scene but my mentor Rob Oliver is, so it was only natural for me to follow. I enjoy it.

That being said, I am a traditional guy at heart. Through our conversation here, I've decided that I'm going to look into more traditional canvas styles. Maybe I'll play a little game with myself and enter both traditional and contemporary styles and see how it goes?? Alan Raymond has been doing some real nice slat style canvas that I'd love to dip my feet into making some.

I appreciate your point of view on this. Looking forward to talking again soon.

Mike -

I have enjoyed our conversation very much. I'm never to old to learn.

Oh Boy ... Canvas Slat Decoys. Now that my new friend IS a challenge. Not so much to make, but to make work, and keep afloat, for many seasons.

Took me many years to get it correct. I have a good friend that owns a wooden boat works. He helps me with certain projects, and I help him in return.

When I approached him about Canvas Slat Working Decoys. He told me "make the smallest one that you can that stays afloat, if it works, then you can make any size decoy you want."

So a Canvas Slat Ruddy Duck decoy was my first success. Then I was hooked. Since then my rig now has several Canvas Slat decoys. Each one unique.

In fact I have the slats cut for a Swan, and White Pine, for the bottom board, and spine. It will be a major project and will take me some time, as I work slow.

Yet I think to myself do I really need another Swan decoy?

I am not familiar with Mr. Raymond, and his Canvas Slat decoys and would like to see some of them.

Back in March-April, 2016, Hunting & Fishing Collectibles Magazine did a several page article about my working Canvas Slat decoys. If you are interested, I'll dig around and try to find a copy to send to you. You can PM your address to me if you want.

Once the canvas decoy bug hits ya, it can set it's hooks in pretty deep. Especially if you have good friends, and mentors to egg you on, and provide inspiration. They are a Blessing.

When I first met Mr. Oliver, he and his decoys made a lasting impression with me. He has the fire of a true competitor, and the skills to back it up.

I knew immediately that his decoys were the future in Canvas/Wire style contests, and my decoys were the past in Canvas contests.

It is always good to see the torch being passed, and new blood get into circulation. It does leave the taste of "has been" in a old timers mouth though, but it's all for the best.

Cuz when ya get right down to it. It IS about the decoys, their place in our life style, and waterfowling history.

Where you live there is a very rich, deep history of decoys, up and down the East Coast. Many folks to admire, many decoys to see, and get your hands on. Not to mention the historic waterfowling grounds and areas.

Western PA, rust belt where I lived for most of my life, has very little in decoy history, or many historic gunning areas. Yet it has, and continues to produce some of the best decoy carver/makers. Some had/have mentors, others were mostly self taught (such as myself). We wanted to create our own decoys, like tying flies, and making fishing lures. It added to our life style and came naturally..

You have a good and promising future. May you enjoy every minute of it, rain or shine.

Best regards
Vince

What makes a Canvas Decoy self-bailing? I expect to see water able to flow through it, but none of the decoys look like that is the case?

Dave -

I do not make Self Bailing Canvas decoys of any kind.

I do vent some of my decoys well above the water line,so air can circulate, and moisture inside the decoy can be reduced, to off set mold problems.

Some of the old canvas/wire decoy makers did make vents, and holes in the back of their decoys. It could be to "self bail", or just to drain water out after use. To have a decoy self bail is not a easy process in my estimation.

The only self bailing decoys that I am aware of that did work, were the wooden ones made by Joe Lincoln. Seeing one in person and studying it, the craftsmanship, simplicity, and design are amazing.

I hope to carve one that does work, but I do know that it shall be more difficult than it appears. Masters can make things look easy sometimes that are not. I'm thinking that is the case with good self- bailers.

my 2 cents

Best regards
Vince

I have a question for you gents using cork for fore and aft sections.. Do you seal the cork? Just a caveat that the stuff nowadays has a tendency to wick water and cause serious problems, including weight increases, interior rotting, just to mention a few.
As a thought, do you make decoys differently as hunting tools than for competition?
Personally, I see no reason to do any more for hunting than competition.
Any thoughts, guys?[;)]
A few afterthoughts-- Man, I wish you guys hadn't posted those images from Westlake! Sure miss that venue!
Vince, that is the first time I have seen that sprig--THAT, Paisan, is a butt kicker, for sure. Love the attitude on that ruddy, also. That one really takes after the watercolors. Glad you are healing and getting back into the shop!

Last edited:
Vinnie,
We had good times and still do.That picture brings back memories. Friendship? more like a brotherhood.
Your Brother What year was that?
PS always loved that Pintail nice to see it again

Last edited:

Ken -

The photo of you and I, by "The Pool" at Westlake was March 1995.

Those were the days of lots of friends, fun, and decoys of all types, new and old, all in one place.

I have a box full of photo's from many years at that show. Lots of good memories.

Hope your enjoying the show at Strongsville.

Best regards Bro
Vince

George -

Thanks for the kind words.

The Ruddy was the first Canvas/Slat decoy I entered at THE POOL in Westlake. Rides the waves very well, but paint was not complete, and it got ejected quickly. HHHeeeHHHeeeHHHeee[;)]

The Pintail went straight from my bench into the duffel bag that holds my walk in rig, and then to work. It did make a appearance at the decoy display at the Nature Center, of the Genesee County Park and Forest.

Feels good to be back in the shop, even on a limited bases. It's Wood Duck time.[smile]

Hope your having a good time at Strongsville as well.

Best regards
Vince

Rob is one of the best i have ever seen when it comes to canvas decoys. I have seen & judged hIs birds against Other Good Wooden Birds & his beat them out.Keep up the fine work & the tradition.
PAUL

Looking at this last goose, I have to ask why? I get using the slats instead of hollowing to save some weight, but add 2 more slats and forget the less durable canvas? Why would you make a decoy like this? What am I missing? The details on the breast and the tail look much more involved than simply shaping the entire body.

Mike -

Thanks for the photo's.

That is a George Boyd (1873-1941), Seabrook , New Hampshire, style Canvas/Slat decoy.

Head carving, and body style are dead give aways.

Mr. Boyd's decoys are very well known in the decoy collectors community, and his canvas/slat decoys bring hefty prices.

I do believe that his number of canvas/slat decoys created was not as large as Joe Lincoln.

Each man had their own style and use for the decoy.

Some were made for use on land, others to be attached to floating wooden triangles. Others to float on their own, as single decoys.

The decoys meant to float on their own, are the most challenging to create IMO.

That is a pretty good replica. For use, or for shelf?

I studied each of the Canvas/Slat decoy maker/carvers techniques and decoys, before I made my own style for gunning use.

Like Canvas/Wire decoys, they can be as simple, or as complex as ya want. As long as they Work.

Best regards
Vince

Vince,
Al sent these photos to me for reference. The patterns are forthcoming. I am uncertain what the intended use for this one was? I have been studying the more traditional style as of late. I just need to learn the antiquing process in order to do an worthwhile build.

Dave,
You're an engineer and I'm sure that you are familiar with the term - Overbuilt? I am unsure as to why the goose is so complex? Wood slats or canvas but why both. It is cool though

The old time Canvas/Slat decoy makers used what materials they had to make what they needed.

Not Over build, just use of material at hand. (many made today are Over Build)

Remember at that time, Wooden Baskets & Wooden Crates were common, and that is where some of the slats came from. Some slats were steamed and placed on a form and then used.

Canvas was very common, in supply and lots of folks sewed and used that skill in many ways.

Folks didn't spend hours watching TV, on the puter, or in rush hour traffic. They made high quality hand made items, and tools for proper use.

Even their minis were hand carved from scraps. Waste not want not.

The area where canvas/slat decoys were produced, was a hot bed of artistry and creativity. Craft & Art merged to make everyday items.

Done correctly with minimum materials, the decoys were light and durable. Plus could be repaired with little effort and work.

Mr. Boyd's decoys were more wood than canvas. As that was his unique Style.

If you dismantled one of his decoys to SEE what is under the canvas and paint you may be surprised...

There is a book about Mr. Boyd that may be worth reading, for those that are interested.

Best regards
Vince

Back