Cassiopeia - pilothouse for the Mother Ship

Steve,

That is an amazing job! Outstanding craftsmanship that is truly appreciated. Thank you for sharing it with us. Heck, I feel smarter just from reading the new "boat terms" that I've never heard before. Top self indeed!

Nice looking work Steve. So many around here want aluminum houses. They work well but I would like to build one with wood and epoxy. Thanks for documenting everything so well.

Eric

Eric~

I spent a lot of time trying to decide which plywood to use. In the end, as you have seen, I went with 1/2 inch MDO. It takes the 'glass and epoxy well and, of course, the interior takes paint very well - an important consideration that ruled out doug-fir marine. And, after I made the decision, I spoke with several Long Island "boat guys" who swear by it.

All the best,

SJS

Tom et al~

Thanks for the kind words. We buttoned up a few more items yesterday afternoon - after a fine morning shoot nearby.

7Pre-dawn_zps84435a54.jpg

We had ice moving through the stool all morning - but we had a nice bunch of Mallards and Blacks drop right in on us. Four stayed behind - you can see 3 of them in the distance - just before we motored out to them.

8Sunrise_zpsd1840600.jpg

Craig spent a bunch of time re-rigging - thanks to the ice.

9Re-rigging_zps5da91967.jpg

After a fine big breakfast with a flock of Kesslers, we set to work on a bunch of loose ends. Here is a bird's eye view of the foredeck and bowsprit.

1Bowsprit_zps6b54124a.jpg

I am very happy with the texture of the Dynel on the cabintop - and the smoother borders.

2Cabintop-DynelampRails_zps150d1f30.jpg

Some interior details: White Oak grab rails inside, Mahogany roof beams, Butternut window trim - and the brass acorn nuts wherever we could.

3CeilingampWindows_zpsc3677b24.jpg

I fabricated these center window latches at midnight before she traveled south.

4Frontwindowlatch_zps573d6132.jpg

The storage bench seats 3 comfortably - and is now screwed to the floor.

6Storagebench-cropped_zpsbf1d3e94.jpg

We still have lots to do on her electrical systems - adding lights, horn, maybe GIS, etc. She may get a new Butternut dashboard when all is said and done.

5Dashboard_zps4c6f04f5.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Definate yes for the dash and a wood or S/S wheel. I like the depth gauge on the pick up pole. Try a brass rod and soften the ends for rivets... Great work...

Rich~

Craig has a nice bronze wheel (with wooden handles) from his Dad - not sure if it'll fit the shaft yet.

Good idea re brass rod - I always have some in the shop - mostly for shorebird "legs".

All the best,

SJS

Back