CCP and what firearm would you carry?

Ed L.

Supporter
I'm fortunate to live in an area where I don't feel theatened but I'm signing up for a conceal carry permit class. I'd like to think I would never really NEED to carry a side arm but with the lack of common sense or sound judgment our elected officals have been showing across the country these days I'm considering my first real handgun. I think after reading some reviews I'm down to considering a Smith & Wesson Sigma 9VE or a Taurus PT 638. I've shot a number of handguns including 45acp Springfield Armory 1911 which I think is a bit big to conceal as well as High Standard .22's, Wather PP in .32, a Tarus hammerless .38 (a lot of power in a small frame for a woman) and a Glock .40 which was a comfortable gun. I'm really not into pistols so I'll ask you guys that know more than me, what would you recommend that fit either a man or woman.

Ed,

There is a lot to consider when picking a personal defense handgun. I approached it by thinking 1) What action am I most comforable with in an emergency situation, 2) How big a handgun would I be comfortable carrying if and when I would carry 3) Will I be able to handle the caliber I choose effectively if I ever need to use it.

Secondary issues are 1) How much am I willing to spend on a handgun 2) Will the ammo for the caliber I choose be cost effective enough so I am able to shoot it often without breaking the bank.

Based on all of the above I chose a .38 +P, S&W Airlite, Hammerless Revolver. Weighs 13.5 ounces loaded and if I stuff it in a pocket it won't get hung up on the way out. Almost all of my handgun experience is with revolvers so I am comfortable with it. I bought mine used with Crimson Trace Red Laser Grips.

Though I would have rather had a .40 S&W, the ammo is expensive and I haven't seen one in a revolver. There are a lot of offerings in 9mm and according to the ballistic charts it is at least as good as the .38 if not a bit better in some loadings. I put a couple boxes of 45 ACP thru a Kimber small frame 1911 look alike and really liked it BUT the $1550 price tag pretty much put the kybosh on that idea.

I'm not familiar with the two you mention, but in general a single stack pistol will be the most easily concealable and comfortable. For instance, the Glock is a double stack and will be more bulky than say a 1911 frame .45 with a barrel of similar length. Frame width seems to me to be a bigger pain than overall length.

I've never been a big CC guy but have been experimenting recently with different types of holsters and hide locations, no matter what I try it's tough to not fidget. I think you just have to try a few until you find one that feels right.

I hope that neither I, you nor anyone else here ever has a reason to even think about using their sidearm but if you are serious about carrying and think you are capable of using it, get nothing smaller than 9 mm, preferably .40 or .45. If you need to shoot you need it to stop the assailant, the .380 is not up to the task.

Good luck finding the right setup.

Based on all of the above I chose a .38 +P, S&W Airlite, Hammerless Revolver. Weighs 13.5 ounces loaded and if I stuff it in a pocket it won't get hung up on the way out. Almost all of my handgun experience is with revolvers so I am comfortable with it. I bought mine used with Crimson Trace Red Laser Grips.

Dang Pete, a friend of mine has one of those, and when I get around to the CCW class I'll either get one of those or a 9mm. There are other calibers that one could argue are "better" but ease of availability is critical in my humble opinion.

Chuck

I'd go with a small frame 38 Special revolver or a good quality 9mm or 380.
Back when I had a CCP, I carried a Walther PPK knock-off in 380. It was small, light, easily carried and dependable once I found the loads it liked. It would no feed Hydro-shoks, but loved plain JHPs that looked like a FMJ with a hole drilled in the tip. Most FMJ fed fine, some did not.

Ed, For all the reasons above plus a few more my IMHO is a .357 Ruger LCR. Practice all day with powderpuff .38s and then load er up!!. The grip is really different on those so if you get a chance try one. Good Luck.

Chuck,

"ease of availability" is a problem right now for most handgun ammo..............haven't seen a box of 9mm in a couple of months except the one I bought from a buddy from his stash. 38's are around - occasionally. I know this ammo situation is going to ease eventually but it's pretty tight right now.

Chuck,

"ease of availability" is a problem right now for most handgun ammo..............haven't seen a box of 9mm in a couple of months except the one I bought from a buddy from his stash. 38's are around - occasionally. I know this ammo situation is going to ease eventually but it's pretty tight right now.

Pete, any commentary on your S&W and arms of that ilk? That is the route I was planning and I'd take any advice you had. Other models you considered, cons, etc...

I'd go with a small frame 38 Special revolver or a good quality 9mm or 380.
Back when I had a CCP, I carried a Walther PPK knock-off in 380. It was small, light, easily carried and dependable once I found the loads it liked. It would no feed Hydro-shoks, but loved plain JHPs that looked like a FMJ with a hole drilled in the tip. Most FMJ fed fine, some did not.

That's another thing I don't like about the small calibers, they can be very temperamental. A jam when you need it to work is no good. I like the 38 revolver suggestion, guess I'm hung up on autos right now with all the crap we have to deal with.

Forgot to mention earlier, my wife just got a new Kahr CW9 yesterday, to celebrate the signing of our fine new law. She knew it was for her when she picked it up, the point being (IMO) you can generally tell if a handgun will make you happy the second you grip it the first time. If it doesn't feel just right, back in the display case!

Ed A revolver is the most reliable. but slow. I don't like the Taurus autos at all. I carry a .25 Baretta Model 21A Tomcat. Very reliable. Iv'e shot wellover 1000 rounds thru it without jamming at the range. .25 is a small caliber but at close range were is when you'll need it it will get the job done. Fits in my pocket and the palm of your hand. I have a S&W model 3913 9 mm, Super gun, just to big to carry and that is a mid size auto.

I commend you for taking a class. Up here one of the previous governors recinded our CCW permit requirement letting anyone that legally can carry do so. However, its hard to determine the rules for use of deadly force, and where you can carry without some legal background or a class. My class in 2000 had over 2 hours of legal disscussion from a lawyer and two retired cops. Well worth the time and money.

As for what to carry. I like to keep things simple and carry a small alloy J-frame revolver with a Barami Hip Grip system (no holster). Its old, but works fine. If I needed to replace it I would be looking at the Ruger LCR. It is highly unlikely that you will get into a gun battle out on the streets, so packing a 5 or 6 shot wheel gun will work most of the time. Being able to hit what you aim at is also important. If you can't hit anything past 10 yards you may need to look at the gun fit or more training.

I recently picked up a Ruger SR9 to have a high cap 9mm. I like it better than any of the older Glocks I have shot. I have not shot a newer Glock. The SR9 has a double stack grip but its just a hair wider than a 1911. They also come in a compact version. Not a bad gun for a poly frame system.

I have a Sigma 40F. It works, but does need some feed ramp work to reliably feed defense ammo. It looks like it was machined with a dremil tool. They are a good Glock Knock off pisol. I would not recommend them to someone as a first pistol.

When it comes to a first pistol keep it simple and comfortable to shoot.

Tod, I have always held S&W in high regard with their handguns so I didn't have to think very long before snapping this one up. I had also thought about the Ruger LCR that Tom references below. Though I'm sure there are other good makers of similar guns, both S&W and Ruger are made in the USA and have pretty good reputations AND they have both been around awhile. I have shot a buddy's S&W M&P in 9mm but really didn't care for it.

If I really wanted a semi-auto I'd be hard pressed not to seriously consider the Kimber in 45 ACP - I really liked that gun and I seemed to be naturally accurate with it, that isn't always the case. If possible shoot as many different handgun styles, calibers, etc. and see what fits.

Tod, I have always held S&W in high regard with their handguns so I didn't have to think very long before snapping this one up. I had also thought about the Ruger LCR that Tom references below. Though I'm sure there are other good makers of similar guns, both S&W and Ruger are made in the USA and have pretty good reputations AND they have both been around awhile. I have shot a buddy's S&W M&P in 9mm but really didn't care for it.

If I really wanted a semi-auto I'd be hard pressed not to seriously consider the Kimber in 45 ACP - I really liked that gun and I seemed to be naturally accurate with it, that isn't always the case. If possible shoot as many different handgun styles, calibers, etc. and see what fits.

Thanks Pete, I'm much more drawn to a small revolver shooting 38/357 than an auto. I'll have to get looking, but I have plenty of time.

The Sigma falls into that "you get what you pay for" category. Mine (the 40 cal, not the 9) has a VERY heavy trigger pull. Hearsay is that it's because Smith got sued by Glock and lost when they introduced it. You can lighten the trigger pull "some" by removing what I call the "lawyer spring". Just google Sigma trigger pull and you should find the instructions....only takes a few minutes with some pin punches to tear it down and remove the spring. The important thing is that you pull the trigger and it goes bang every time. In a typical self defense situation measured in feet, not yards, it's fine, no safety on it, just like a Glock or a DA revolver, just pull/point and good to go. I'm not a good pistol shot and for ME, with the heavy trigger, a paper plate target at 25yds is too small....for ME.

Before Newtown I used to see them used for $225 or so. I have a Fobus outside holster that fits it nicely.

BTW Tod, what you will be obtaining is a CT State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers..... No laws in CT REQUIRING concealed carry, but you risk getting hassled and possibly a breach of peace arrest if you open carry, except at Starbucks. Concealed carry is more prudent, why draw attention unnecessarily?

Jim

Hi Ed, (and everybody else). # 2 or 3 on my obsession list (right after duck hunting) is pistol shooting. I've got quite a few and shoot them often and carry daily. If you can afford it, buy a small pistol that easy to hide in warm weather and the mid size gun you really want for non warm weather times. Invest in more than one holster. If you carry in the pocket, PLEASE use a pocket holster. The world is full of accidental discharges due to unholstered pistols getting tangled up with other crap in pockets.

Whatever caliber you get, buy some snap caps that you can use to dry fire practice. Its way cheaper than buying ammo and greatly aides the learning curve. Paint them, mark them, color them, whatever just so you won't confuse live ammo with them.

As to what gun? Great strides have been made in defensive ammo over the last couple of years. Where once I would have answered that only guns .40 caliber or bigger are worth considering, the truth is, that there are good loads in .380, .32 mag, .22 mag and .38 special. That opens up possiblities in smaller, easy to hide guns. Smith J frames, Ruger LCR's, North American Arms .22 mag, Kimber Solo, the Smith & Wesson Shield, and the Kahr that SJ mentioned is right at the top of the list of the next pistol I might buy. Walther PPK is a little bigger than the newest generation of ultra small pistols and is all steel, but it makes it more controllable and less punishing to practice with. Any of the new Ruger semi's would work out nice size wise.

I have to take exception with buying a lightweight .357 as the blast and recoil is very unpleasant and could lead to a flinch in an inexpereinced shooter.

I've shot the small Glocks in .40 and was favorably impressed with their shootablity and my ability to hit something with them. I have to guess that the 9mm, with its smaller recoil pulse would be even easier to master. I've never shot the Sigma or the Taurus you mention, but I have shot a couple of different Sig Sauer's. Well made guns that fit the hand pretty well. If possible, buy a pistol that has interchangable back straps and try all 3 for fit and controllability.

Good luck on your hunt...

John Bourbon

Last edited:
What I carry depends on the application, and I'm going to show my age here, and the fact that I've a fairly large frame that I can hang large framed hand guns on if it's cool enough to get away with wearing a light jacket. So here goes, just about every AM I walk Marsh around the neighborhood, often in dark to low light conditions with a good black bear population. There have been a number of occasions that bears have gotten between me or my wife Barb and home while walking him. So for the morning walks I grab a Charter Arms bulldog - a five shot 44 special that was bobbed by a ME cop, allowing him to keep his hand on it, in his parka pocket. Extremely important to him in the dead of winter when his holstered service gun was hard to reach. Anyway, he had the barrel cut off at 2" and the hammer spur removed. I've added crimson trace grips turning it into a very sweet but hard kicking pocket pistol that fits in any J frame holster. Its loaded with 250 gr. hard cast Kieth style bullets that follow the red laser spot home.

If I had a serious thought that I might need it, my preferred carry gun is a 1911 45ACP, loaded with 200 gr Speer hollow cavity bullets. It's heavy, but reassuring and with its Crimson Trace grips my old eyes don't need to focus so hard on the sights.

When carrying in warmer weather or just wanting a lighter gun to carry, I'll grab a Walther PP in either 22lr (woods - fishing) or in 32ACP for more social locations. Stingers in the 22 and silver tips in the 32. The rimless 32 is more reliable and stays on target for remarkably fast follow up shots. Not a single shot stopper, but nice to carry and shoots fast and accurately.

I've owed all of these for more than 30 years and have put thousands of rounds through each of them.

Scott

Last edited:
Regardless of what you buy, being proficient with it is the key. Muscle memory and gross motor skills will take over when the it's go time. Use the same carriage system at the range as you do when you carry. Practice your draw, your reloads, a weapon malfunction, etc.

Pistols are like duck guns, rifles, etc...everyone has their favorite and their opinion and there are a lot to choose from.

IMHO if you want a "get off me gun" there is no substitute for a snub nose .38. If you want something to carry daily and actually be accurate with at some distance, a sub compact Glock is hard to beat in a 9mm platform. The Sig Sauer 232 in .380 is a solid weapon also.

Lots of people think that bigger is always better (That's what she said), but it all comes down to shot placement. Three .380 rounds through the heart or fatal T is better then three 45 rounds in the gut.

Hi Guys - I never thought it would happen to me but in 2008 I was shot at while inspecting a fire damaged building in Milwaukee. Bullet entered the passenger side door and deflected when it hit the lower window rail thus missing me. BTW the cops never responded. The PD won't respond to a 911 call in Milwaukee unless you are hit - they get 4 to 5 shots fired called per hour during daylight and double that after dark. Shortly after that I got my CCW. In the fall of 2011 my wife and were followed and then corned by a group of young thugs in rural MN. The confrontation ended when they saw I was armed.
Although I own several handguns including a 5 shot .357 wheel gun my regular daily carry piece is a Walther PPS in .40SW. Note I DO NOT carry while working. My employer forbids it and I will abide by the terms of my employment. After hours different story and after the last incident my wife never questions my carry.
Walther PPS & P-99 with Crossbreeds
View attachment IMG_4379.JPG

Warm Weather Carry in Kangaroo Holster
View attachment Kangaroo #2.jpg

I have a matching P-22 that I use as a practice gun. Much Cheaper to shoot the 22 LR and then finish with a mag of 40 SW.
But I agree find the handgun you like and get familiar with it. The laser practice devices als work well for basement dryfire drills.

Haven't posted in a while, but this one I couldnt resist, it really depends on you, if your new to pistols I would stick with the 9mm rd, its an easy to shoot and will ease you off the recoil shock,. Its also an affordable rd to target shoot with, I can say I dont leave home without my pistol, I have moved to ga so its a little different law wise here than Illinois. Carry wise If cost is an option I recommend these 3, Taurus 709 slim, s&w m&p shield or an ruger lc9. All are great guns I own all three, if I had to pick I love my taurus, for 300 bucks you cant go wrong, that being said I will give you the one negative with the 709, it must and I stress must be very dry inside....its an awesome shooting gun and is accurate. The shield if you can find one in the craziness will or should run you about 430 or so, the lc9 depending on how you buy it around 400...for a new ccw I think for sheer comfort the taurus is the way to go, at 7/8 of an inch thick 5 1/4 in legth for the way I carry inside my pants I forget its their sometimes. Jmho

Back