CCP and what firearm would you carry?

Not sure if you like ruger or not but I put in for my handgun permits and i am getting a ruger p95 same price as the S&W sw9ve but it's a double action/single action so it has a hammer. Check it out also the ruger lcp or lc9 are good and the Taurus 709 slim

In reply to those who think a .357 2" is a terrible recoiling barking beast- you are absolutly correct. Thats why you practice with .38s and work up, just because it says mag doesn't mean thats what you have to shoot. Kinda like shooting 2 3/4' 12 ga. in a 3 1/2" gun which also is a beast. Ammo availability for the old fashioned .38 Special is much better than any of the auto ammo, at least around here. PLUS with a set of dies, a pound of Bullseye, 1000 primers, mold and a bucket of wheelweights you can be pretty self suficient. I stand by my recommendation but also realize if there was a perfect choice it would be a very boring world, right??? Great thread

Ed, I have been carrying a G26 for about 12 years. When I gave you a ride, I had it on me. They conceal well. I would stay away from anything Taurus. I have had a few different ones and would not trust my life to one. Get a hold of Dave. He has all kinds of different toys you could try. I am a Glock Guy. You can either shoot them or you can't.

Thanks guys....There's a lot to think about. Not only the when and where but the what! I got thinking about this for several reasons but the one that hit home was my sister was on a business trip recently and was approached by two guys. Things were getting dicey she said until others came into the parking garage. She said they were big and suspected they were hopped up on something and began to question if her skills were enough. She and her husband have been teaching Tae Kwon Do for many years. My sister is something like 6th degree black belt but at 105lbs, 55 yrs old although she doesn't look her age it's time for a little help. She's decided to take a gun to the next fight. http://spelliousmartialarts.com/tkd.html. That's my sister on the homepage. She took the CCP course put on at our local Gander Mountain by a company called LegalHeat. After hearing her story and knowing she's now carrying with her skills....well it just seems more real when it's closer to home. Paul, I'm about your build and it's good to see how to carry. I wasn't going to say anything about my sisters experience but after reading your story I thought others may be on the fence in regards to taking a class. Glad your still here to tell the tale.

Unfortunately i live in jersey and cant carry but i have a cz sp01 in 9mm. Cz isnt very popular in the us except its catching on for competition. A lot of their design comes from browning. I suggest giving some thought to the cz p01 which is slimmer and lighter than the sp01. Its basicly a smaller version of a 1911 so you can keep it cocked and locked for a great carry weapon.

Ed
This might be of interest to you especially being from Illinois. A man came to our house to repair a grandfather clock wearing a 45 sidearm. In conversation with him it seems his father had been a cop and he had worked in law-in-forcement also and was use to carrying a gun. His next clock repair job from our house was in South Beloit, Ill and he thought the gun really essential heading there. In further discussion I told him the Army Air Force (WW II) taught us to shoot the 45 with one arm outstretched and best to shoot it from the hip turning the body. He made the point that one hand shooting turned gave you a smaller target. Just some interesting comments.
wis boz

Last edited:
A little more food for thought-tried the new Kahr CW9 yesterday, feels nice in the hand, fed 200 rds flawlessly, but has the longest trigger pull I've ever used. I mean llloooonnngg, although smooth as silk. Being my wife's gun she of course shot a bunch with it first but was inconsistent. I took a turn thinking it must be her, but the trigger pull is so long it was a challenge to squeeze that far. Difficult to shoot rapidly without yanking them off target a bit. For CC I still think its ok. Try one before buying.

Also have a new Walther PPS 40, love this baby! Feels good, very accurate (for me at least), no jams in 200 rds. Only odd thing is the magazine release, it's along side of the trigger guard, takes a little getting used to. Out of my carry-sized guns, this is my favorite.

Ed,
You know which state I live in and our state of cc. Before I came back here I lived and worked in areas where cc and open carry were the norm for folks I knew and worked around. I am a revolver fan. S&W being my favorites but I hold no ill will towards Ruger. I personally think a small frame Smith is hard to beat for cc especially when it comes to going bang everytime you pull the trigger. Years ago when I shot at a training facility they devided us into revolvers and semi autos. It was so they could go through extra training on malfunctions and jams. When the two groups came back together on the firing line it became apparent to me revolvers were the most reliable. The highest qualifying score was shot with a revolver. After saying all this I have a good friend who is one of the top pistol shooters in the state. He is a huge .45 auto fan for a duty weapon. However is concealed carry gun is a Walther PPKS last I knew.

I'm a little "old school" but I carried a 1911 style pistol for pretty much my whole 30 year Law Enforcement career, Back in the early 80"s I was the only guy in all agencies in the whole county that carried a semi auto pistol.

Guess I was a little ahead of my time!!

He made the point that one hand shooting turned gave you a smaller target. Just some interesting comments.
wis boz

Wis boz,

That's one of the points my sister pointed out the instructor told them as well.

Ed,
You know which state I live in and our state of cc. Before I came back here I lived and worked in areas where cc and open carry were the norm for folks I knew and worked around. I am a revolver fan. S&W being my favorites but I hold no ill will towards Ruger. I personally think a small frame Smith is hard to beat for cc especially when it comes to going bang everytime you pull the trigger. Years ago when I shot at a training facility they devided us into revolvers and semi autos. It was so they could go through extra training on malfunctions and jams. When the two groups came back together on the firing line it became apparent to me revolvers were the most reliable. The highest qualifying score was shot with a revolver. After saying all this I have a good friend who is one of the top pistol shooters in the state. He is a huge .45 auto fan for a duty weapon. However is concealed carry gun is a Walther PPKS last I knew.

Mike,

I wouldn't put it pass Illinois to find a loophole or keep this in the courts even though the Feds gave them a deadline. I'm told the class I'm signed up for covers something like 40 states. Apparently the inside scoop on Illinois is you will have to qualify using a firearm before issuing any permit. Right now I'm putting a list of pros and cons together on the guns I can afford. I'm leaning towards a semi auto mainly for capacity but I've shot a few revolvers I like as well. We'll see how it shakes out here in a few weeks.

Ed A revolver is the most reliable. but slow. I don't like the Taurus autos at all. I carry a .25 Baretta Model 21A Tomcat. Very reliable. Iv'e shot wellover 1000 rounds thru it without jamming at the range. .25 is a small caliber but at close range were is when you'll need it it will get the job done. Fits in my pocket and the palm of your hand. I have a S&W model 3913 9 mm, Super gun, just to big to carry and that is a mid size auto.
Gonna have to disagree with my father on this one, Taurus makes a great product, what really great they come with a no questions asked warranty policy, any problems they will fix for free and usually will throw in two extra mags, .

Ed, theres pleanty of good advice in these posts but I'll add my 2 cents...

I am not apt to leave the house with the 1911 . 45 or the Sig 226 9mm. They are just too big to try to conceal in my opinion. I wouldn't give either of them up but they don't usually fit that situation.

A consideration that might fit both you and your wife might be the S&W Bodyguard (auto) in .380 with an integrated laser. I had one and carried it, but sold it and I regret doing so. There was a hole where that laser was when I pulled the trigger, the gun was light and in my opinion, the caliber and payload were adequate.

Its cousins, the S&W Airweight or S&W Bodyguard (revolvers) mentioned are also great choices for their reliability.

I have a Springfield XD40 subcompact that ups the ante a little more and is very concealable (but a tad heavy if carried in a pocket)

For now my carry gun of choice combines a lot of the traits mentioned above...size, reliability, horsepower and capacity.

The Colt Cobra .38 SP, 6 round snub with a 2" barrel and Hogue monogrip. Light, accurate, reliable and plenty of "just keep movin' ".

Heck, Jack Ruby owned and used one and he wasn't even from the Flint MI area :)

Last edited:
Thanks Scott, A couple more to add to the list....:-0...I'm beginning to feel information overload!

Sig P238 is my pocket gun and Sig P229 is my inside the waistband CCW. Well, they would be except the People's Democratic Republic of Muhrlund won't issue me a CCP without a verified threat (State PoPo have to validate).

Sig P238 is my pocket gun and Sig P229 is my inside the waistband CCW. Well, they would be except the People's Democratic Republic of Muhrlund won't issue me a CCP without a verified threat (State PoPo have to validate).

I had a P239 to keep my P226 company and for some unknown reason I sold it too. Wish I hadn't.

Another good compact choice Ed.

Back