china made bandsaw

Rick Henderson

Just hafta vent guys , sorry . I get my duckblind order in the mail and my china made craigslist bargain of the year takes a shit on me ! Not that I didn't expect it. I would not have bought a china made bandsaw if it wasn't for the great price. Still in the box , a third of retail price and I have had goodluck with other ridged tools . It was a no brainer butttttt I knew it was coming . Pot metal trash ! I wonder how long it will take for the replacement part costs to add up to the price of the saw I knew I should of got from the start . I could always repair and unload . 14 " with a riser block- oh I forgot to add that extra purchase . Any suggestions on what to replace it with ? Kinda trying to stay in that price range and size . Don't mind paying a little more if I don't have to buy all the extra stuff not included with a ridged . It didn't even come with a fence and it shakes like a cold wet dog . OK I FEEL BETTER still have a case of cork and no bandsaw but at least I can try out my new paint . I'm liking it so far. Thanks for the direction bob .

I have a Delta clone with 6" riser made somewhere in the Orient.

I paid about 1/2 of what a Delta would cost. Delta parts are interchangeable.

Saw is 20 years old and going strong. Castings are softer metal but even the brand names are being made overseas now so you may be buying the brand name tool - paying double the price - and finding out it is being made in the same factory as the clone.

I have a JET 14" with a riser block. Works well, easy to tune and parts are easiy available. If you have more money than brains, buy a Laguna. I have a centerfold of one in all it's nekid glory on my shop wall! Sometimes I just sit there and stare at it......

The Delta 14 inch saws are good saws, up through the late '90's if they are U.S. made. The imported clone, not so much. Walker-Turner 16" saws and Powermatic 141's are better, if you don't need the 12" resaw. I forget what thickness the W-T will cut but the Powermatic will do about 6+ inches. The Laguna is passable but I would rather have an older 20" saw from Powermatic or delta or Davis & Wells? Actually, I don't need to worry, I have a Tannewitz GH 36" saw which tips the scales at a dust over 2900 lbs. and has a 7 1/2 HP motor. Cheers!

tannewitz_2.jpg

I have the Grizzly G055X 14" bandsaw with their riser kit. I know this is still a Chinese saw, but the reviews are far better than the Ridgid bandsaws. They are comparable to the JET models.

I have had no problems with mine and actually bought a second one for our small shop at work.

Chad

Back