Christmas pheasants

Andrew Schaefer

I just returned from visiting my family in Iowa for Christmas. Had a great time as always and this year I decided ahead of time that I would lay down the $123 for a nonresident hunting license. I had heard that the pheasant counts were up and my best old hunting buddy reported very positive results early in the season, so we made plans to hunt together at Christmas. On the Friday before Christmas I flew to Cedar Rapids from Orlando. I took a nap once I got to the old home place and then went to farm and fleet and bought a license. When I got back from my errand I gave my old buddy a call. No answer, so I left a message letting him know I was in town and ready to roll. Later that evening I get a text saying that he was at the hospital and his wife was in labor (only a week or two early, everything was fine). My friend has access to some very good hunting land that I do not, so my options became limited to public land and road ditches, without a dog, and no snow on the ground to help me out. To say the least it was tough. I got skunked the first three days on public land, and saw only one rooster in range (plus a bunch of hens) in those three days. It was still great just to be out there kicking around my old haunts and seeing what was going on. I saw lots of other wildlife, including ducks, geese, and several swans feeding out in some sheet water on a recently flooded corn field. It was also the last weekend of shotgun deer season in Iowa so there were a lot of deer that had been pushed out into open fields by hunting pressure, including some dandy bucks.

Christmas Eve we got about 3 inches of snow (Christmas miracle???). In my family, we celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve. Christmas day is pretty low key; my siblings go to their respective in-laws places. I'm not married so I decided to go hunting Christmas morning. The snow had pushed the birds into the heavier cover in draws and deep road ditches, made them less likely to run, and made it easy for me to track them down. I ended the day with two roosters in the bag.

That evening my buddy called and told me that he got a half day pass from his wife, so we went out Saturday morning and had a good hunt together. I pulled a limit and he got two. Would have easily limited out if he had time to stay out.

Sunday I hunted solo again and got another limit even though most of the snow had melted. That evening I was killing some time before I had to be someplace and stopped for a while to watch the geese and ducks flying out to the fields on the edge of town. There was a couple thousand Canadas and maybe a couple hundred mallards using one field. Neat to see and a good way to wrap up the trip. I hope you all had a merry Christmas as I did.

Its good to see that you did get to drop a few roosters while you were back in Iowa. I remember you saying that you hoped you could get out since the numbers were up. Great looking birds, the one looks like it has some long tail feathers.

Snow is really the great equalizer with pheasants. We have had snow, then melted it all. then had snow, melted it all and once again have snow. Hopefully I will get out for one or two more hunts before the season ends in a 5 days. Last Sunday we found a good patch of cover that turned into a great patch with the fresh snow. I think the dogs were about ready to take the guns and do the shooting but we did end up scratching down 4. Between Deuce and my sister's Brittany they must have had at least 15 points in about an hour and a half.

My phone died in the cold before I got a good photo of the dogs.
IMG_20151227_163258_681-1_zpsjayhj3pv.jpg

Tim

Great story and picture, Andrew. What a wonderful hunt. You will remember this one for years to come. "A Family Christmas to Remember"
Al

Andrew,

It looks like you had a great time. Late season hunting was always my favorite, it was just me, my dog and some wily birds.

Tom

Its good to see that you did get to drop a few roosters while you were back in Iowa. I remember you saying that you hoped you could get out since the numbers were up. Great looking birds, the one looks like it has some long tail feathers.

Snow is really the great equalizer with pheasants. We have had snow, then melted it all. then had snow, melted it all and once again have snow. Hopefully I will get out for one or two more hunts before the season ends in a 5 days. Last Sunday we found a good patch of cover that turned into a great patch with the fresh snow. I think the dogs were about ready to take the guns and do the shooting but we did end up scratching down 4. Between Deuce and my sister's Brittany they must have had at least 15 points in about an hour and a half.

Thank's Tim, it was great to be out there again. Glad you're still getting into them!

I really love pheasant hunting (or any kind of hunting, for that matter) in the snow, but it's a double edged sword. Snow makes the hunting better in the short term, but in the long run it's tough on the pheasant population. When I moved away from Iowa, we were in the middle of a stretch of several very bad winters in a row. Even places that had excellent habitat on the ground weren't worth hunting for a couple years. It was heartening last week just to see birds every day. On Christmas day I bumped one group of over 30 pheasants, mostly hens, in a little patch of brush, hadn't seen anything like that since I was in high school.

Now if I could just get some weather to push some ducks into Florida. The forecast looks promising for this weekend though!

Yeah, the snow has a good and bad side. If conditions keep moderating after each snow we should be OK. It is suppose to be in the 30s next week so we will melt a little. If we get ice then all bets are off. A glaze of ice will kill off birds in a short time.
Without all the CRP like we had 10 years ago we don't have the buffer we use to.

We were lucky here that our first two snows completely melted. The two we've had since Christmas are fluffy enough I'm not too worried yet. Its not like 2009 that's for sure. That winter was terrible.

Tim

Back