Classic Barnegat sneakboxes

Tom Hickman

Gentlemen, I have been looking to purchase a new sneak box and have been looking at the classic Barnegat sneak box website. I know these boats are a displacement hull which is what I want and I'm looking at the 14' boat. I'm asking for feed back positive or negative concerning this boat builder. If you know of another builder in this line, please let me know. Thanks.

I have a friend that owns one. Solid boat with some nice features. They do handle the bay well( and by that I mean Barnegat bay area). I do like the displacement hull as it handles rough water a bit better than a planning hull.
Now I am biased as I prefer a glass over cedar traditional boat. I like the weight as I fell safer in the bay in it. I run displacement hulls. Both my boats are converted sailers. But, I think that for a fiberglass boat, these are pretty good with little maintenance...or less than a wooden boat anyway. The floatation is nice if you worry about that sort of thing. Some of the features they put in the boat are just fluff.....like the gun rack for instance. The spray shields are pretty nice. One drawback is the HP ratings for the motors. I think the 12' model is just a 3hp and the 14 is not more than a 9.9 I think. I run a 15hp on my boat and it is certainly no speed demon, but having the power is sure nice when you are carrying 60+ cork broadbill decoys and a dog. That is the biggest downside in my opinion.

I've had one for about 7years. It is a pretty safe boat, structurally sound. I have always run a 15hp Merc on it and as mentioned it is not a speed demon, but gets me where I need to go. I use it primarily on the Hudson and on some particularly bad days and always felt safe.

Zane

What kind of hunting are you looking to do out of it? One man and a dog? Two men since you mention the 14? I think there's better two man boats than that one and also being somewhat of a traditionalist and purveyor of sneakboxes I think there's better 12ft boats out there. The 14 has that gigantic cockpit, which I guess some people like but I'm not a fan.

I'm interested in the 14' due to the room. I plan on hunting out of the boat myself, I wasn't buying it to hunt two people. The only other boat I looked at was a David Clark estuary. That boat is also a displacement hull and sits a little over 13'. I enjoy hunting on the eastern shore of Virginia. The waters around there can get ugly at times.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a BBSB, but it's a custom sneak boat made in FL. A little smaller and different then the ones mentioned. But I felt I needed to comment on the HP dilemma as well. Love my boat for just me, and it's okay with me and the dog. But with a 6.5 mud motor, I top out at 9 by myself, and a little less with me and the dog. But it hides well, can board it in waist deep water no problem, very little maintenance of any. I do with I had the little bigger BBSB so I had just a little more room for the dog to lay/sit where he's not in danger of barrel swinging.

KMT Classic displacement hull, monster boat all glass I also know of a cedar over glass one that's for sale in great condition

I have one that's for sale that don warren built its roomy with a safer and smother ride than a planing hull & like said a solid built boat. Also mine is for sale as I've got problem,10 boats. williamgray25@yahoo.com for pix

Thanks for letting me know about the boat for sale. Unfortunately I have to sell my boat first before I can purchase my sneak box.

Are there web sites for the boats mentioned here. I have looked at the web site for the estuary. Thanks
think its frowned upon putting websites link up here but you asked www.kmtboats.com there is also a FB page best bet is to call Marty if you are interested in having him build a boat. The has 2 models one displacement hull and one planing hull. hope that helps!

Back