Coastal NJ Friday

Craig F

Took the day off from work and my dad and I took a ride to the birthplace of NJ waterfowling, Barnegat Bay.

Saw some birds and plenty of teal but only managed to scratch out a mallard and whiffed on a couple black ducks.

I know everyone likes sneakbox pictures so here's a few plus a short video.

http://youtu.be/GQPKbUCQX2s

Screenshot2013-11-08-13h17m29s195.jpg

Screenshot2013-11-10-09h35m15s53-1.jpg

Screenshot2013-11-08-13h27m07s168.jpg

Last edited:
How good to know Barnegat lives on with classic boats like yours and retrievers with steel springs in their legs and fathers and sons sneaking in a hunt on a picture book spot.
A miracle of these modern times is using these modern gadgets to share time-honored things; seeing a duck hunt on the other side of the country as easily as seeing the televison news (though who wants to see television news?) Ducks now that's another story. Thank you!

Thanks everyone. I just like sharing that not all of us (relatively) younger hunters are of the Duck Dynasty breed and like keeping some of the traditions alive.

I got an under barrel mount for one of my GoPros and I thought it would be a one time gimmick that would surely mess me up, but I've actually shot better with the camera on the gun. Definitely gives a different perspective.

The music is by Mumford & Sons, I just wanted to put something in the background and it seemed to fit.

Thanks for that moment of sanity I got from your images and video ( we are are in a 4 week gap in Va that ends this Sat) . That marsh looks exactly like Long Island's where I grew up and have wonderful memories of hunting. Being in the marsh for any reason brings out childhood memories and combine that with a grassed boat, decoys, a good dog a shotgun and some good shooting and I have heaven. Must be an extra thrill to hunt out of a sneakbox in the waters where the sneakbox was invented, perfected, and has a great tradition. Again, thanks!

Anthony, any duck hunting on interlaken? Was through that area of Switzerland a few years ago on our way to Murren .....

Jeff.

Richard -

Where are you from on LI? I was looking at property on the outskirts of VA Beach and came close to buying a home down there in the early 90's. I had been back many time since then and can't believe how the area has grown and how many old hog farms are now housing developements.

Every time I come in Oregon Inlet or run the ICW I seem to find myself day dreaming of all the spots I would come back to hunt in VA. I have heard it can be a tough area to get a good spot to gun due to the regulations on building or setting up blinds.

Hope you have a good season.

I grew up in Oceanside on the South Shore. Marsh rat through out my childhood in Baldwin, Freeport, Reynolds Channel and Jones Inlet waters, and then hunted since High School those same waters. Been in Va since 86, first NOVA now in Fredricksburg area. Went back and hunted Thanksgiving week on LI , every year, for years.
In Va, East of 95 we have blind laws and areas are blinded out. West of 95 you hunt where you like. With that said, a guy does well to get to know other hunters and share places. I am very fortunate. Have friends with many farm connections for inland geese, we have built blinds on inland bodies of water, have friends with blinds on the Bay and also plenty of sea duck hunting out of one of our larger boats. All in all, plenty of opportunity. We're old farts 75 thru 45, he's the " Baby" .

My dad and I were discussing how that section of the bay was very similar to long island's GSB and how effective southbays or a similar grass boat would be down there.

A friend of mine hunted down that way Monday while I worked and had some pintails, that was a kick to the stomach to hear.

Richard,

I'm in Wantagh and know the areas your talking about very well. Glad to hear your in good shape with the blind situation. I have always wanted to get down and hunt around the south end Roanoke Island and the surrounding area. It looks like a great waterfowling area. My only problem is when I'm down there it is usually with a boat 50' or larger. I did have a chance to buzz around with a small tender when we were stuck at the Oregon Inlet fishing station for a few days. Every time I come in Oregon Inlet I say to myself I have to get back here to hunt. It just looks sooo ducky...

Anthony, any duck hunting on interlaken? Was through that area of Switzerland a few years ago on our way to Murren .....

Jeff.

Jeff. Alas, no wild duck hunting that I know of anywhere in this country... every square inch of land is pretty much accounted for and there is a lot of sailing and boating on the lakes every day, all day. Every time I look out onto the lake from my office window I can imagine setting decoys and playing with the anchor while trying to figure out the wind, but I have a feeling the police would show up pretty quickly :) We haven't had the chance to go to Interlaken yet - it is on our list - we're checking it all off one-by-one :) I know they have duck hunting in Germany, Italy and France, but it's nothing like North America, and certinaly not like the salt water marshes in NJ! Craig, Farrukh, Mike, Jode and all the other Jersey guys are soooo lucky. I have thought about applying for the hunting course here, if we end up staying longer (and it seems like it is movnig in that direction now that my wife has found work in her field as well), but it takes two years!

Craig's pics (haven't checked the video yet) bring back a lot of great memories on Barnegat and Great Bays, Little Egg Harbor, and Assumpinnk, Sawmill and Manasquan Creeks... there, I just divulged secret hunting spots to the whole world! :) the drive to South Jersey on the GSP at dark-thirty in the morning nearly killed me a few times (and that one time to Delaware Bay for sea duck hunting I had to pull over and sleep for 4 hrs on the way home), but it was all worthwhile, whether or not I shot any ducks. The duck hunting culture in South Jersey, and the people you meet at the boat ramp, is certainly quirky, but it is still alive and kicking and Lord almighty there are lots ducks in them skies! They are a sight to see, and to experience it all first hand in a grassed-up sneakbox and a friend's retriever is unforgettable. I consider myself lucky to have been able to hunt there for a few years while living in NJ. My Estuary is in storage in southwestern Ontario, and I cannot wait to go say hello to my boat, decoys and firearms when we go home for Christmas. My wife understands, but she will still roll her eyes at me when we to visit the marina :)

Craig, keep up the tradition!

Anthony

Craig
Enjoyed you and others describing the Eastern areas where you duck hunt. Certaintly different than here in the midwest in many aspects.
wis boz

Back