Dad yelled, "Hold on tight, son!" And he did.

Al Hansen

On Saturday when most dads are probably taking their young sons out fishing, golfing, hiking, biking, and or camping at this time of the year, I had the opportunity to go to a 4-H rodeo. On Friday I was substitute teaching at San Antonio Elem. when I had a 3rd grade girl come up to me as they were heading for home and say, "Are you sure you won't forget about our rodeo tomorrow?" I smiled and since I know her family so well, I gave her mom and dad my phone number and told them it would be fine if she called at 8PM for a reminder. She did.

Rodeos are a very important learning tool in this area of the southwest. Kids are taught a lot and those who are involved heavily with their parents, just don't have time to get into trouble. These kids turn out just fine.

Here is a series I took of one young man riding a calf. This was the 6-8 year old bracket. He squeezed every second out that he could get. This was one tough dude! Watch how he keeps his feet off the ground until the very last second.
Al

IMG_6202.jpg

IMG_6203.jpg

IMG_6204.jpg

IMG_6206.jpg

IMG_6212.jpg

IMG_6215.jpg

IMG_6218.jpg

IMG_6219.jpg

IMG_6220.jpg

IMG_6222.jpg

IMG_6223.jpg

IMG_6227.jpg

IMG_6228.jpg

IMG_6229.jpg

IMG_6230.jpg

IMG_6231.jpg

IMG_6232.jpg

IMG_6233.jpg

IMG_6234.jpg

Awsome photos Al.

Looks like he is a young man to watch in the coming years. Hard to believe he is only 6-8 years old. I give him a lot of credit.

Awesome pics Al!!! Good teaching tool for that young man.................

I am amazed that at his age how focused he was on the withers; his eyes never leave that area, even as he is falling. Form is darn near perfect as well, sign of a good student taught by a good teacher!

Thanks again for sharing, brings back some great memories of days long ago.......

If he grows too big for bull riding he looks like a natural at steer wrestling. It's amazing how tough(in a good way) kids can be if they are raised that way.

Tim

Al, looks as if that right hand never touched the the animal. Great form, thanks for the photos.

His chaps are nicer than the ones I had at his age. My mom loved those things as they saved her hours of time patching the knees in my britches.

Takes me back to a long time ago. I can still taste the dirt. I might have done better if I had a real cinch rope rather than a piece of bale twine.

I love it Al. When I was a kid I started off in rodeo the same way on calves. Man looking at those pictures brought back some fond memories.
Riley

Great stuff Al...it made me think of this photo I took while turkey hunting. I think the caption should be "I'de rather lick my own ass than eat dirt" :)

031807-03.jpg

Hitch

Wow! That is one tough determined little kid. Great sequence. Luke

Thanks, Luke. I can't begin to tell you how much fun I had watching him. Just think how young he is but is still capable of carrying out a plan.
Al

Wow, would you look at the look on that kid's face? Those pics are keepers!

John

When I looked at those facial shots it made me wonder if he would be riding the bulls some day. I think he'd be a coaches dream.
Al

Awsome photos Al.

Looks like he is a young man to watch in the coming years. Hard to believe he is only 6-8 years old. I give him a lot of credit.

I agree, John. It looks like his dad or grandpa has worked with him a lot.
Al

Awesome pics Al!!! Good teaching tool for that young man.................

I am amazed that at his age how focused he was on the withers; his eyes never leave that area, even as he is falling. Form is darn near perfect as well, sign of a good student taught by a good teacher!

Thanks again for sharing, brings back some great memories of days long ago.......

Glad you liked the shots, Mark. Sounds like you have been in the ring before. You nailed it when you said,"good student taught by a good teacher!"
Al

If he grows too big for bull riding he looks like a natural at steer wrestling. It's amazing how tough(in a good way) kids can be if they are raised that way.

Tim

Well said, Tim. It shows up in the classroom, also.
Al

Al, looks as if that right hand never touched the the animal. Great form, thanks for the photos.

Hard to imagine he is probably a 2nd grade kid. He sure did have great form. Glad you liked the shots.
Al

Looks like a hobby that requires a good insurance plan especially if he moves on to the big boys.

It is amazing how much of a wallop a calf has when kicking those hind legs. I wouldn't care to get kicked by one.
Al

His chaps are nicer than the ones I had at his age. My mom loved those things as they saved her hours of time patching the knees in my britches.

Takes me back to a long time ago. I can still taste the dirt. I might have done better if I had a real cinch rope rather than a piece of bale twine.

Ray,
I'll bet you still had fun regardless of what you used to make do. I still remember my mother darning my socks when they got holes in them.
Al

I love it Al. When I was a kid I started off in rodeo the same way on calves. Man looking at those pictures brought back some fond memories.
Riley

Thanks, Riley. Glad they brought you back to that time of your life when you did the same thing.
Al

Back