Dani.......Hurricane Dorian

Yesterday the trend seemed to be the storm was going to make a earlier turn for the north which would have been better for us. Today the models have been leaning further to west towards the mainland. It looks like it could chainsaw the east coast all the way up to North Carolina. We're under a hurricane watch . It pretty much means we are going to experience at least 75 mph winds and possibly worse if the eye of the storm gets closer to land or makes landfall. The storm is moving like a herd of trampled turtles, and that could cause a lot of issues with the constant wind and rain and flooding. If you look at that satellite pic and see lake Okeechobee draw a straight line from the top of the lake to the east coast. That's where I am. Dorian is going to be knocking on our door tomorrow night into Tuesday. I've been though a bunch of storms, but this one has me worried. Stay Safe

Jeff, good luck with this storm. I will keep you in my thoughts with this one.

For the last two days here in Tallahassee it looks like the National Guard has been mobilizing or at least getting ready to. This afternoon at walmart, the parking lot was filled with trucks waiting to be deployed to try to get power back on for people who will lose it. The big crew I saw today I believe was from AL. So, help is being staged around the state already it looks like.

This angry old blue hair needs to go ahead and make the turn and quit getting bigger.

Stay extra safe if you do not end up evacuating.

I don't think I've ever seen a hurricane move this slow. I am seeing video reports of many islands in the Bahamas being completely destroyed. I absolutely hate hurricanes.

Lane reversals have started in SC. Hope to get our son in Savannah,GA back home tomorrow sometime. Our son in Charleston, SC is on "fire watch" and will ride it out at the steel mill.

Good luck to your boys Paul.

Some of the video I have seen is absolutely heart breaking. How do you recover when that was all you had? And the same for all of your neighbors?

I haven?t ever seen a hurricane move so slow and I can?t imagine 24 hours of nonstop killer wind. Perhaps the only positive of that slooooow movement is that MIGHT be what saves FL from a direct hit. But we won?t know til it finally does something.

Well, we let the forecast scare us. First I cancelled our reservation in FL and instead scheduled a stay at Myrtle Beach. Then cancelled that and drove to Charleston to secure the in-laws, and today skirted the outer bands and drove to FL. Swapped the trip around as the in-laws were to be on the return trip. Hoping we get the calm after the storm for the next 4 or 5 days.

This was one heckuva storm as far as forecasting Dave. And one of the slowest. Glad you at least made it down to FL. Enjoy your visit down here. How was the traffic?

Traffic? It was by far the easiest trip we have made over the past 30 years. Very few vehicles. Saw dozens of line crews and FEMA contracted first responders headed north. Was eerie how empty the roads and ret areas were.

Glad you erred on the side of caution Dave. I have one son who evacuated Savannah, GA and another "riding it out" in Charleston. (He's going to add another gaggle of grey hairs on both my mine and my brides head)

Back